First pics of Yamaha's full suspension emtb.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Maybe the photo has been doctored up, but it doesn't look like a pw-x2 motor? Who's fork is that?
1570799049744.jpg
Yamaha announces new electric motorcycles, scooters and more in huge EV push - Electrek

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Maybe the photo has been doctored up, but it doesn't look like a pw-x2 motor? Who's fork is that?
View attachment 19882 Yamaha announces new electric motorcycles, scooters and more in huge EV push - Electrek
That is one fugly bike! I don't care how good it might perform on the trail. It looks like my 9 year old grand daughter has specified the colours. (She likes rainbow unicorns, fairy tinsel, and glitter). I am surprised that it lacks pink and gold ponytails hanging from the bar ends.

As in a previous thread, I would walk away from that without looking back.
In fact I would run!

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
I like it. I know the DVO makes a triple clamp upside down but dont see a single crown upside down in their lineup
And yeah, that motor has some type of drive section hanging out the right side?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Who's fork is that?
If you look real close it appears to be an UPSIDE DOWN fork (ala motocross bike) but with a single crown only. Those gold anodised tubes are fixed sliders. The blue portion at the bottom are possibly plastic stone guards to protect the obscured stanchions.

Manitou and Marzzochi made upside down forks in the past but they didn’t catch on, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Yamaha used proprietary moto-x technology to produce those forks themselves.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I like it. I know the DVO makes a triple clamp upside down but dont see a single crown upside down in their lineup
And yeah, that motor has some type of drive section hanging out the right side?
Perhaps KYB is behind the fork? Yamaha has had some of the best rated forks for years and I'm pretty sure it's been KYB for what seems like forever.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Perhaps KYB is behind the fork? Yamaha has had some of the best rated forks for years and I'm pretty sure it's been KYB for what seems like forever.

Yeah, did some more reading on this bike. Its just a prototype for the time being. Rear suspension is nothing new (FSR). I like my Giant Maestro suspension much better!

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
View attachment 19882 Yamaha announces new electric motorcycles, scooters and more in huge EV push - Electrek

Oh God.... It's a Barbie YAMAHA this time...

On a more serious note though, it does indeed look like USD forks and defo MX inspired with those blue ano wheels. Not sure what to make of that rear suspension linkage holder triangle thingy though, but as you say, might not even be a real picture...

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I had one of these in 93 .. had some stupid colour name like fruit cocktail or something ..

God I loved that bike though, everyone I ever met thought it was a 1000cc, it just handled incredibly and carried speed everywhere.

View attachment 19898
Sweet bike Zim.

I actually had one of these and yeah the color scheme names where a bit out there... I think mine was something cocktail or other as well.:
L_yzf1000rthunderace_1996.jpg

Actually I still have it... it's in my garage in need of some love and caring to get running again currently...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Actually I still have... it's in my garage in need of some love and caring to get running again currently...

Poor little thing . You need to find some winter time and give it some TLC.. I really really really wanted one of them .. I got rather unreasonably banned for a year on the YZF (long story) so took some time out seeing the world. Came back and decided to be sensible instead and bought one of the first TL1000's . Had a couple of near death tank slappers and wisely invested in a steering damper. Phenomenally quick point to point bike.... but then the GSXR1000 came out .. and well .....

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

yamaha started producing decent forks when they bought ohlins.

my giant looked like a rainbow when I bought it. I thought I was secure enough to not care - wrong.

MuddyFunster

Jul 7, 2019
Uk
Sweet bike Zim.

I actually had one of these and yeah the color scheme names where a bit out there... I think mine was something cocktail or other as well.:
L_yzf1000rthunderace_1996.jpg

Actually I still have it... it's in my garage in need of some love and caring to get running again currently...

Wow! I had one of these too, awesome bike! the front brake(s) were the best in the business, but not that good enough to stop me putting it into the side of a car... (to be fair, I didn't actually get the time to hit the brakes)

Anyhoo... back on topic. That bike is a little garish for my liking (say's me who owns a rocket red Levo) but I'm intrigued by the USD forks...

/MuddyFunster

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Like it ?
If Yam and Honda start producing e-bikes, they’ll get it right and being a lot of race experience and technology with them.
Interesting

i'm confused. How does a mediocre motorbike manufacturer have more mountain bike experience / tech knowledge than bicycle manufacturers ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
i'm confused. How does a mediocre motorbike manufacturer have more mountain bike experience / tech knowledge than bicycle manufacturers ?
Idk for certain, but I thought Yamaha invented peddle assist bicycles back in the early 90's. There was something about a 4 stroke motocross bike too, but I'm not sure that amounted to much.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm a Yamaha fanboi from way back, but I think there's another mediocre motorcycle company that's toyed around with downhill MTBs ahead of Yammy - even though how could they possibly know what they're doing. ;)

Then again, if they ever eMotorize their experimental RN01, I might change loyalties! Their SHOWA USD fork just gives me goosebumps all over! :oops:

Honda RN01.jpg

Woodys Bike

Aug 28, 2019
Bucks, United Kingdom
Wow! I had one of these too, awesome bike! the front brake(s) were the best in the business, but not that good enough to stop me putting it into the side of a car... (to be fair, I didn't actually get the time to hit the brakes)

Anyhoo... back on topic. That bike is a little garish for my liking (say's me who owns a rocket red Levo) but I'm intrigued by the USD forks...

/MuddyFunster
I think the theory behind the USD forks is that they give lower unsprung weight. So the heavier part of the fork is mounted on the bike and the wheel only has the lighter fork tube. The aim is to improve the handling by reducing the unsprung weight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles