Error codes????

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
has anyone else suffered the codes E010 and E020 on their Shimano E8000? if so, what was your outcome/fix? cheers for any info :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My bike (Vitus but same motor) has been showing E010 on powering top for the last week - have pretty much dismantled the whole bike, cleaned and checked all connections, tried multiple batteries, and still same result. Its going back to manufacturer for warranty now.

E010 Seems to be a general code rather than anything specific, but from my experience not a good one to get

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
E020 is a battery to motor connection problem. I got it once and I think it was connected to a battery firmware bug (new bike). The E010 could be connected with the same problem as it is a generic system failure code.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Bugger ! Have you taken the cover off on the left side of the motor to check the wires ? The big one is the battery cable, the small ones are the speed sensor, display & di2 if you have that. Sometimes you get dirt or moisture in there. You could be really unlucky and the cable has chafed in the frame somewhere or it's twisted. You can also remove the cover at the bottom of the battery mount(with the battery removed) and check the connections there.

albort1

Jan 19, 2019
Sydney NSW
I have a Norco Sight VLT2 and have had error codes both EO10 and EO20 with random shutting down. Bike shop replaced one wiring harness attached to the start button but still had the same problem. Then they replaced another larger looking harness, probably the main wires coming from the battery and then all was good. Have done over 200 km since and its never shut off since. Strange how a new bike 3 months old would have to have wiring replaced.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's looking like @albort1 's solution is going to be the most likely fix.

The only other last desperation thing you could try is a full reset of the battery management system in case it's got some bad data logged in there and it's shutting things off too soon. From what I remember you turn the bike off , but keep your finger on the power button for 20 seconds. Might be 10 seconds? but if you do 20 , that should do it.

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
problem still the same, so its getting sent back to Madison either today or tomorrow, also i have had problems with the Di2 mech jumping up and down the cassette without me touching the shifter :confused::unsure: i Love the bike BUT these issues are driving me nuts!

Smithy

Mar 22, 2021
Manchester
Thanks guys hopefully I have just fixed my 29er YT decoy E20 e10.
I took the motor out. Blew on it for a bit. Scratched my head. Cleaned the motor with brake cleaner and a tooth brush. Like everywhere. Made it look new. Blew it a bit more. Sprayed brake cleaner in the two little connection points and blew it out. Wiped it off and kept blowing round the connection points. I blew so hard I put it to the side and started making sure my battery to motor cable was alright. And I did that twice or more. Obviously the last time worked and that was a few hours ago I’ve rode it for about 10 minutes and it’s been fine.

I must note i totally shit myself as i changed the top speed to 32km so i guess if I hadn’t fixed it by blowing magic all over it I would have had to buy a new motor as I’ve probably voided my warranty.
I also prayed as it was devastating for me.

Good luck
Hopefully I don’t have to update.....

Kaulin

Dec 25, 2020
Finland
I got E010 error and my bike shop (Shimano) replaced whole motor. My cellphone E-tube app was connected via BT and suddenly my cellphone battery went dead. Thats it. It ruined my bike.

Andrew Blazey

Feb 1, 2022
UK
Hi I have just had a period of a few months where I have been getting e20 followed by e10 error codes on my Merida e120 with steps e8000. Got so bad last week couldn’t do more than a few 100 yds off road without a power reset to get going again, booked it in with shimano service centre (out of warranty). Scratched my head cleaning connections etc and couldn't improve it, then came across this.

made a tighter battery fit and hey presto 100k later, not a single error code. So suggest if having these codes then check you battery is a snug fit. Service centre appointment cancelled for now!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles