Dreaded E010 Code

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Well after 3500km got an error code I can't get rid of. Had the odd error code in the past, usually the E013 on start up which displays in a box up on the display but this time it's different.
Started with the usual E013 that I couldn't get rid of by turning on and off a few times so did a 10km ride with no assistance as was already there and had a mate on a normal bike so toughed it out.
During the ride tried maybe a dozen times to get it to work by turning it off and on but to no avail. Changed from E013, which was in the box on the normal display to the full screen version, with the open book graphic, of the E010 code. Then another couple of times on the same ride would get the normal display back and could change through Eco, Trail and Boost but with no power assistance. Then as soon as you put 'serious' foot pressure on the pedals it would fault to the full screen version of E010.
Came home very frustrated and put up my Strava of the ride mentioning that the bike had played up. It was suggested from a friend that I try and clear it with E-tube app which I did and had to update the firmware. Made no difference unfortunately, then I tried ST-unlocker where I altered the output in trail mode and that didn't work either. Turned it off and on again quite a few times and got the normal display but would fault once you pedaled the bike. Then it just came good, all back to normal, turned it off and on again at least 3 times and it worked as per normal, I was one very happy ebber.
Had to run the battery down to around 60% as was off on holiday and didn't want to leave the bike with a fully charged battery for any length of time so the following day went to ride it and, hey presto, was back to error code E010 full screen with the book graphic again. Have tried many times since and no good won't work.
Mate suggested swapping batteries with the wife's bike as runs the same battery, motor and display and my battery worked fine in her bike and her battery faulted in mine, so not the battery. Then parked the bikes close to one another and swapped over the engine cables to her display and it faulted on her bike so not my display playing up either. Had plans to take it to the bike shop on last Saturday but we were thrown into a snap Covid lockdown so couldn't get it there.
Figuring it is probably the torque sensor, so wondering if anyone had one replaced before. My bike is more than 2 years old, plus I bought it 2nd hand with only 135km on the clock so not sure if Shimano fix the motors or they make you buy a whole new motor? Is it possible to buy a torque sensor and fit it yourself?
Any advice, experience or help would be great, really missing my bike, cheers Steve

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Have seen many fellow ebbers have viewed my thread but with no comment, starting to worry a bit and still have no opportunity to get my bike to 99 Bikes to get them to scan it for errors and perhaps a reset?
Have also seen that I can get a complete motor from Germany for about $1600 delivered and was thinking about that option giving me the old motor for spare parts etc, would appreciate any input from anyone that has bought a motor from over there also. Was hoping that it was just a simple job to replace the torque sensor, though searches for one to buy have come to nothing. Any advice, experiences would be great, have a top weekend and hopefully the lockdown here in SE Qld lifts on Sunday

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Well after much deliberation I bought the motor from Germany as I was told by a local dealer that they had a shipment of 10 E8000 motors coming into Australia and at least 12 people wanting them. Plus they had no idea when the next shipment would be. GREAT!
So got the motor from Germany after about 3 weeks, pretty quick I think in this covid day and age, but got stung nearly another $300 for GST (goods and services tax), plus an import tax plus a handling fee, not happy about that as the motor was now costing nearly $2000 AUD. Still it's much cheaper than a new bike.
So no dramas fitting it and it all worked and still is working fine. Though I did have to pay and down load an app that allowed me to change the wheel circumference as it was set at 3000mm and I'd measured mine at 2200 so speed and mileage was way out and annoying.
So... here's my problem, still have the old motor, which I was hoping to fix as a backup/spare for the 2 bikes we run. I spoke to The Bearings Man in the hope he could possible sell me a replacement (2nd hand) torque sensor as I'm leaning towards this being the problem. He said that he'd had no luck in fixing any Shimano E8000 motors and had been down the same track as me.
Shimano don't sell any spare parts for the motors, (torque sensor and a circuit board would be a great start) and I'm thinking this is pretty poor on there behalf, as it's great motor when it's working and is too expensive to be just a throw away part.
So I'm still interested in looking inside my old motor just to see if I can spot a loose wire/magnet etc for an easy fix.
The problem I have is even though I've removed all the bolts connecting the 2 halves of the motor casing I can not separate them to look inside. Have tried a soft blow hammer with no success and there appears to be no place where you can lever it apart.
Has anyone 'split the casings' on one of these motors?
Figuring there will be a lot of people in my boat sooner or later as there must be 10's of thousands of these motors kicking around the globe and who wants to end up with a $2000 paper weight!

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well after much deliberation I bought the motor from Germany as I was told by a local dealer that they had a shipment of 10 E8000 motors coming into Australia and at least 12 people wanting them. Plus they had no idea when the next shipment would be. GREAT!
So got the motor from Germany after about 3 weeks, pretty quick I think in this covid day and age, but got stung nearly another $300 for GST (goods and services tax), plus an import tax plus a handling fee, not happy about that as the motor was now costing nearly $2000 AUD. Still it's much cheaper than a new bike.
So no dramas fitting it and it all worked and still is working fine. Though I did have to pay and down load an app that allowed me to change the wheel circumference as it was set at 3000mm and I'd measured mine at 2200 so speed and mileage was way out and annoying.
So... here's my problem, still have the old motor, which I was hoping to fix as a backup/spare for the 2 bikes we run. I spoke to The Bearings Man in the hope he could possible sell me a replacement (2nd hand) torque sensor as I'm leaning towards this being the problem. He said that he'd had no luck in fixing any Shimano E8000 motors and had been down the same track as me.
Shimano don't sell any spare parts for the motors, (torque sensor and a circuit board would be a great start) and I'm thinking this is pretty poor on there behalf, as it's great motor when it's working and is too expensive to be just a throw away part.
So I'm still interested in looking inside my old motor just to see if I can spot a loose wire/magnet etc for an easy fix.
The problem I have is even though I've removed all the bolts connecting the 2 halves of the motor casing I can not separate them to look inside. Have tried a soft blow hammer with no success and there appears to be no place where you can lever it apart.
Has anyone 'split the casings' on one of these motors?
Figuring there will be a lot of people in my boat sooner or later as there must be 10's of thousands of these motors kicking around the globe and who wants to end up with a $2000 paper weight!
Have you explored the option to send the faulty motor back to Shimano for them to fix?

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Have a read through here..it's not all bearings talk. There is discussion focused on error code origins and speculation about the torque sensor (towards the end IIRC...)

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for the reply's Horspwr and Beatn1k, Shimano don't service the motors AT ALL, just replace them under warranty. I bought my bike 2nd hand which rules out any warranty replacement, plus it was over 2 years old when it stopped working. Unfortunate on both counts.
Have read most of the E8000 motor service thread which has encourage me to split open the old motor just to see if it is anything that is obviously wrong. Though after reading all about the Bearing Mans experience servicing them I'm not very optimistic about finding any obvious fault visually. My hope is that some time in the future someone will be taking on the electronic servicing of these motors as there must 10s of thousands of them out there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles