E8000 "bottom bracket" bearing play after 1400km

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Whilst iw as looking for a schematic, googling shimano motor exploded image brings up a lot of diagrams of their fishing reels (Shimano are big into fishing rods too!) Looking at some of them i wonder if the Steps has much in common with some of their reel tech! I know the Brose motor shares a lot of its tech with a lorry windscreen wiper motor, but maybe we are riding glorified fishing rods!

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Whilst iw as looking for a schematic, googling shimano motor exploded image brings up a lot of diagrams of their fishing reels (Shimano are big into fishing rods too!) Looking at some of them i wonder if the Steps has much in common with some of their reel tech! I know the Brose motor shares a lot of its tech with a lorry windscreen wiper motor, but maybe we are riding glorified fishing rods!
Well, Brose is one of the biggest suppliers of the auto industry and Shimano is one of the biggest in fishing reels. It makes sense to use their proven technology wherever they can... :)

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Hi maybe I comparing apples with pears.. I commute to work on full sus MTB - just because I like the extra grip and I can get my daily fill of rough trails and some steps in all seasons. all on LX or XT equipped bike 700 miles is the average at which point I trade it in for a new one. I just run em into the ground and start with a fresh one - on the Bike to work scheme. I always shop around for a discounted bike to gret a nice ride - so over the last 10 years I have had wheel hubs wear out - crank arms fall off - bb's gone - lefty fork seize up - chainrings made from camembert, rusty chains, pedals fall off.

Dont get me wrong though I spend my time maintaining my "expensive" bikes...some of which are 20+ years old! I have to, as where I ride locally we have clay and flint - which might aswell be sold as a Rubbing Compound.

And as for multi thousand £ - I am still having a hard time reconciling the level of kit we get offered on a £3.5K EMTB which roughly equates to a £1.5 Non EMTB?

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Do you trade in your car too when the ashtray is full? 700 miles... that is not a lot. As for the price, yeah they are expensive, motors battery's, r&d and a nice premium is where that goes too. Plus ebikes have a greater potential for warranty costs. If you want a great deal, buy lasts years bike.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Do you trade in your car too when the ashtray is full? 700 miles... that is not a lot. As for the price, yeah they are expensive, motors battery's, r&d and a nice premium is where that goes too. Plus ebikes have a greater potential for warranty costs. If you want a great deal, buy lasts years bike.

Yep 700 miles ish and the chain is knackered and the rings are wearing down and the casette is on its way out and the wheel bearing start to drag - unless you are talking XTR titanium rings!..6061 abd 7075 kit wont last long. I have done this on Cdale F500, Cdale Taurine, Cdale Rize, Cdale Prophet, Cdale Jekyl, Cdale Rush, Gary Fisher Sugar, Speccy FSR, Speccy Hardrock, Speccy Rockhopper, Scott Genius, Scott Scale and a Trek Fuel 9.

these were all my daily hacks - I still have a 1993 Cannondale Delta V - in perfect working order - triggers broom style ...

As for R&D what do you reckon £500 on a £5000 bike- no way hose....I am waiting until we get a government subsidy like on the E cars, when Boris is PM!

Car wise I have the oldest car in my post code area - 1993 LR Discovery TDI 200, if I am not tinkering with bikes- then I am doing the disco's wheel bearings/welding/oil leaks etc.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I think I know what your problem is...
I just run em into the ground
If you are wearing out a chain on a clockwork bike in 700 miles you are seriously abusing it. Do you ever clean and lube it? The chain on my Trek has done over 550 miles now and is still under 0.75 stretch.

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
I live in a country that has more bikes then people, people ride them every day, in all conditions, for many years. But hey if maintenance is not your thing i would advice you to never buy an eMTB, it will wear out even faster and you would be pouring money down the drain. Or you could just buy a new one every six months, it's your money.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yep 700 miles ish and the chain is knackered and the rings are wearing down and the casette is on its way out and the wheel bearing start to drag - unless you are talking XTR titanium rings!..6061 abd 7075 kit wont last long. I have done this on Cdale F500, Cdale Taurine, Cdale Rize, Cdale Prophet, Cdale Jekyl, Cdale Rush, Gary Fisher Sugar, Speccy FSR, Speccy Hardrock, Speccy Rockhopper, Scott Genius, Scott Scale and a Trek Fuel 9.

these were all my daily hacks - I still have a 1993 Cannondale Delta V - in perfect working order - triggers broom style ...

As for R&D what do you reckon £500 on a £5000 bike- no way hose....I am waiting until we get a government subsidy like on the E cars, when Boris is PM!

Car wise I have the oldest car in my post code area - 1993 LR Discovery TDI 200, if I am not tinkering with bikes- then I am doing the disco's wheel bearings/welding/oil leaks etc.

There is already a subsidy scheme on e-bikes, similar to ride to work, is called the Green Comute scheme, quite a good description of it here:

Wisper Bikes Green Commute Initiative

I don't know what you are doing to bikes to get 700 miles out of them! I have a 10 year old pinnacle hardtail hybrid which was 400 quid and must have 5000 plus miles on it and i have never done any maintenance save for lighting any loose bolts and giving it a hose down and a lube once in a while, and its still going strong on original everything, except for the chain which has been replaced once, and the brake pads

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
So ride to work scheme let’s yoi have a new bike every 700 miles , how long is your commute ? Even if it was only 10 miles that’s 3-4 new bikes a year , even if the BTW scheme allowed that many bikes ? it’s still cheaper to drive the discovery I think ? No being rude but you iether have a misprint in your numbers , like a zero missing or I smell some Bs

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

Vitus E-Sommet VR
3 months old.
Started around 600 miles.
Worsened over time.
Everything on the bike is fitted correctly, tight and correctly torqued. Ie. it's the motor, not mounting bolts/crank interface/chainring lockring/ pivots/ headset etc.

I've contacted CRC about warranty already. Any advice?
I've an incling it might just be an internal bearing. But I have no idea what's actually inside Mr shimano's magic box

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Vitus E-Sommet VR
3 months old.
Started around 600 miles.
Worsened over time.
Everything on the bike is fitted correctly, tight and correctly torqued. Ie. it's the motor, not mounting bolts/crank interface/chainring lockring/ pivots/ headset etc.

I've contacted CRC about warranty already. Any advice?
I've an incling it might just be an internal bearing. But I have no idea what's actually inside Mr shimano's magic box
Hey Gary - welcome back, been missing your feedback on the Vitus - does it still ride ok?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Updated my thoughts on it in the E-sommet thread mate. Novelty's worn off but still love riding it
The bike still rides fine. just grumbles loudly on climbs.
I'm not riding it for a bit (Not until I hear back from CRC anyway). Means my other bikes are getting a bit more use again tho. Out on my roadbike lastnight. it'd been so long I'd actually forgotten how to navigate its Garmin's menus.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its an interesting one, because the bike can take so much abuse, which means (for me at least) you end up pushing the limits of the terrain it can tackle, that the BB in the motor must be taking a hell of a lot of punishment.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yep. That's exactly what i think has happened
Funny thing is. I've been riding mine like it's a DH bike. (I'd say Enduro but those guys rarely jump, nevermind get sideways) and thinking about just how much descending and jumping I've done already. I reckon I've cracked DH frames in the past with less abuse. (I was younger, less smooth and DH bikes weren't so good back then though).
I also regularly used to notice the beginning of bearing play in ISIS DH BBs after one weekends downhilling. I know. I know.. ISIS used stupidly small bearings... But... still.

You didn't ever happen to find an exploded view of the E8000 did you?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When I found it before I ever I had to wade though a ton of diagrams of shimano motorised fishing reels to find it.

Also on your speed sensor/magnet issue they do make a sensor designed to work with a disc brake magnet - they list it as only compatible with a centerlock rotor they also make, but I reckon it could be bodged up somehow

SM-DUE11

DF12FEC3-7C26-4D06-A864-882537E4D86E.jpeg

A2F15C47-FD9C-4DE7-8FFD-33878C9B5987.jpeg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles