E-Bike is now allowed in Federal National Parks!

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I would interpret it to mean maximum average power. Meaning, the power output it can sustain for a long period of time.

If you buy a 1 HP pool filter pump you expect it to put out 1 HP ongoing.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I agree that many “250 watt” rated motors are actually 600 watt motors, but that is only because the manufacturer under rates them.

I doubt mainstream bike companies will make special US-market motors that are more powerful than EU motors.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I can't tell you how happy this makes me. And reading the posts of all the haters makes me smile even more. I left a local So. Cal mountain bike forum after I got chastised for posting my positive E-bike experience. Haven't been back for almost a year, but snuck a read just to see what they are saying. They are not happy to say the least.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Think everyone is getting ahead of themselves on this.

There still has to be a public comment period.
“ A timeline to seek public comment on changing any regulation described
above.”

You can expect lots of groups being opposed to this, especially traditional Mtb orgs that work on said trails.

Is this a good thing? Hopefully, time will tell.

But don’t think you are going to be able to ride on trails within the next 30 days.. unless I’m missing something.

There’s going to be push back and lawyers etc..

Maybe I’m 100% off though.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
Think everyone is getting ahead of themselves on this.

There still has to be a public comment period.
“ A timeline to seek public comment on changing any regulation described
above.”

You can expect lots of groups being opposed to this, especially traditional Mtb orgs that work on said trails.

Is this a good thing? Hopefully, time will tell.

But don’t think you are going to be able to ride on trails within the next 30 days.. unless I’m missing something.

There’s going to be push back and lawyers etc..

Maybe I’m 100% off though.
Section 4.b says:
"E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed;"
Seems pretty straightforward

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
To clarify, this is only for BLM and national parks, not national forest. It is a big deal, there are trails that I can now ride close to my house, and Moab!

The BLM has teamed up with other agencies to create the MTB Project.

Mountain Biking Top 20 | Bureau of Land Management

BLM’s MTB Project opens up US Forestry land for mountain bikes. This new order instructs the BLM to allow e-bikes where other bikes are allowed.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

BLM’s MTB Project opens up US Forestry land for mountain bikes. This new order instructs the BLM to allow e-bikes where other bikes are allowed.
I think we broke the government's link! Website link showing ERR_RESET everytime I try to follow it.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Section 4.b says:
"E-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed;"
Seems pretty straightforward

It’s government, it’s never straight forward.

The 30 days is just for the depts to write this up and submit.. there will be other challenges ahead you can be sure

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado

Where do you see that the BLM project “opens up US Forestry land”? The National Forest falls under the Dept of Agriculture not the Dept of Interior (like the BLM and National parks...). Hopefully the Dept. of Agriculture will follow suit, but I don’t see where any of this directive pertains to National Forest. ?

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
Where do you see that the BLM project “opens up US Forestry land”? The National Forest falls under the Dept of Agriculture not the Dept of Interior (like the BLM and National parks...). Hopefully the Dept. of Agriculture will follow suit, but I don’t see where any of this directive pertains to National Forest. ?

The BLM has partnered with the US Forestry service. I was stopped in the Cache National Forest recently (Snowbasin Area) and was told that E-bikes were not allowed. This area is part of BLM’s MTB Project and is on US Forestry land.

5D2665A2-42C5-47B5-A85D-1F5007AFF4D2.png

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado

The BLM has partnered with the US Forestry service. I was stopped in the Cache National Forest recently (Snowbasin Area) and was told that E-bikes were not allowed. This area is part of BLM’s MTB Project and is on US Forestry land.

View attachment 17834
That’s great for that Trail. Are you saying you believe all other existing bike trails on US Forest Service, Dept of Agriculture, (not partnered with BLM like this one) automatically will fall under this new directive of the Dept of Interior? ?

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
That’s great for that Trail. Are you saying you believe all other existing bike trails on US Forest Service, Dept of Agriculture, (not partnered with BLM like this one) automatically will fall under this new directive of the Dept of Interior? ?

BLM’S MTB Program encompasses over 137,000 miles of trails. All on public land of some sort. Some State, some BLM some US Forestry. All of the US Forestry trails in my area are included in the MTB Project.

Check here for a map: MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps

I can only assume that the US Forest Service will follow suit and allow e-bikes where other bikes are currently allowed.

Jeb

Jul 17, 2019
Colorado
BLM’S MTB Program encompasses over 137,000 miles of trails. All on public land of some sort. Some State, some BLM some US Forestry. All of the US Forestry trails in my area are included in the MTB Project.

Check here for a map: MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps

I can only assume that the US Forest Service will follow suit and allow e-bikes where other bikes are currently allowed.
Aye, thanks for the link. I have used the app for years (now owned by REI), I see the web site has an Ebike filter. Looking forward to seeing that map grow! I wonder if they will automatically add the new access or will they rely on user input??

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
Since the order from BLM states that e-bikes shall be permitted where regular bikes are allowed, all of the trails should automatically be added. We shall see....

Yonkk

Jan 10, 2019
usa
This is going to boost the sale of e bikes in the US, but (most) of the e bikes are made in China. So with the US China Trade War going on, higher e bike prices? Shortages on ebikes?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Since the order from BLM states that e-bikes shall be permitted where regular bikes are allowed, all of the trails should automatically be added. We shall see....

I’d say definitely not.. but who knows.

There’s this: With the new order, there will still be a period of public comment and the rule can be altered. According to the AP, the Department of the Interior is still preparing a detailed statement which should provide more clarification.

Look this thing is not done yet.. anyone who thinks that within 30 days you can ride ebikes on these trails is trippin.

The “environmentalist” groups have lots of money and lots of lawyers. Just ain’t gonna happen that quickly.. to think otherwise is frankly delusional if you have been following bike advocacy in general.

So, no they are not going to be “automatically” added no fing way! Fake news!:)

It would be great if that was the case but people on this forum are way to quick to assume this will happen quickly.

Again, maybe I’m trippin.. but I highly doubt it!

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
The Secretary of the Interior, in an Order, declared my Levo a “Non-motorized bike.”

I will print this Order and keep it in my pack.

Do you really think a BLM employee or a National Park employee on the trails is going to overrule their boss and call my e-bike a motorized bike?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
The Secretary of the Interior, in an Order, declared my Levo a “Non-motorized bike.”

I will print this Order and keep it in my pack.

Do you really think a BLM employee or a National Park employee on the trails is going to overrule their boss and call my e-bike a motorized bike?

I hope this is not serious lol.

Perry01

Jul 11, 2019
USA
I hope this is not serious lol.

There are dozens of great trails in the Wasatch Mountains where I ride and only a few forbid e-bikes. I have no plans to test the legality of this Order but the question still stands.

Do you really think a BLM employee or a National Park employee on the trails is going to overrule their boss and call an e-bike a motorized bike?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
There are dozens of great trails in the Wasatch Mountains where I ride and only a few forbid e-bikes. I have no plans to test the legality of this Order but the question still stands.

Do you really think a BLM employee or a National Park employee on the trails is going to overrule their boss and call an e-bike a motorized bike?

The order in its current form doesn’t allow you to ride wherever you want.. so yes, if you are riding a trail that’s currently illegal to ebikes and whip out this printed piece of paper they will write you a citation.

Had nothing to do with anyone overruling their boss.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what all this currently means for access.

That could chage, and probably will, and it will
Take some time. This is not immediately effective for end users, still ways to go until you see changes at the trailhead.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
All BLM land that allows a bicycle also already allows ebikes within 30 days. There is no testing or not testing. It is fact.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Because the order gave the regions 30 days to allow them. NPS already posted their rules and already allows them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles