Dropper Post Advice

Baffled 1

Nov 10, 2019
Warwick
I popped out for a quick ride on the Levo at the weekend and the dropper post gave up the ghost. It would not go down.
Having got back home and cleaned the bike I left it till today to have a look. I took the post out to check that the cable was still attached all okay. So I checked the post's lever that was okay but you could push it a distance and the post did drop but returned straight away.
Anyway what I found was that the cable outer had worn away in the frame by a good 2 inches and the cable was exposed so losing resistance.
As any body else come across this?
And is it difficult DIY to replace or is it a LBS fix.
Bike less than a year old.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Procedure is in the owner's handbook, don't know how hard it actually is but I personally would try to DIY it to save bike of the road time. The Retailer's Workbook gives 1700mm (as I recall) as the cable outer length, then trim as required. Since most outers are a bit long, and there is a bump stop, any chance that a trimmed outer is still long enough?

Baffled 1

Nov 10, 2019
Warwick
Thanks Kenny B just looking at the workbook at the moment as my LBS where purchased is 2 hours away its basically a days trip for a warranty claim, so hence looking at DIY option.
Hmmm decision decisions.

Eljay

Dec 2, 2018
San Francisco
Not sure exactly what you mean by "cable outer"? Are you referring to the actual metal cable or the housing around the cable?

Changing out the metal cable only should be very easy and take a couple minutes - but changing out the housing can be very tricky - this is because it needs to route around a loop on the top of the motor (instruction manual has a diagram) and this can be a bit of an abrupt turn in the routing and there are a lot of other wires and cables in the vicinity and it is easy to get it all tangled up - if you are unable to attach it to the old housing and delicately feed it through then you would need to remove the motor in order to get it routed, which is doable but a big pain

Baffled 1

Nov 10, 2019
Warwick
Here's a picture I took for reference. Note I have pulled the cable out of the frame after spotting the wear near to the frame for which the cable enters.
IMG_20200108_073915.jpg

NorCalLevo

Jan 9, 2020
Redwood City, California
Interesting that there is that much rubbing! I was having issues with mine not returning this weekend. I cleaned the shaft and then put some fork butter all around it. Cycled it up and down a few times and she is back up and running smooth. Makes you wonder about the seal tolerances tho.

Baffled 1

Nov 10, 2019
Warwick
Hello everybody,
Just a quick update as I said earlier the Levo went in yesterday to fix the above cable problem. It was done and replaced within the hour ? and cost me £20 now I was hoping to get it under warranty but the shop was so busy I couldn't talk to anyone regarding the warranties. But for the price and time it had taken I just collected the bike and thought happy days let's hit the road home.
So fingers crossed it doesn't happen again ?

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Xfusion Manic on my 2020 Levo became very sticky to compress, but it extended fine. User manual said to grease the top seal every month. Took off the collar, really tight, eased out an o ring from the top of the lower tube and pushed in some SRAM butter. Pumped it a few times to work the butter down and repeat, sorted. But reckon I may have to strip it all down and clean out the old grease sometime.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles