Don't be a d@ck! Simple EMTB riding rules to follow!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Since joining the Emtb revolution, I've come up with my own rules to ensure the peace is kept on the trails with the "unassisted".

Make more friends by:
  1. Don't use Turbo: I seriously can't think of a single time where I needed my TURBO mode. If you're in turbo, chances are you're probably riding like an arsehole.
  2. Never lead the Wolfpack: I notice my group of (non EMTB) riding buddies went cold on me once I started leaving them in the dust on the climbs or when my pace isn't sustainable on a normal bike. Stay behind and have a chat!
  3. Let others ride your bike: If you're a trusting individual, be sure to share the joy of the Emtb. Many folks hide their curiosity or replace it with negetives comments. You may even convert them.
  4. Keep a higher and smoother cadence: This is good method to make sure you keep in the trails in good condition whilst saving juice.it's tempting to ride a higher gear with the assist but you'll find the power surge causes slipping and/or wheeling. Very annoying for others.
  5. Be a pack rat: Carry a comprehensive set of tools, spares, food and water. Not only for yourself but for your fellow trail users who will remember the Emtbr who saved their bacon!
  6. Don't get cocky!: This is a big one. There is no one more hated on the hill than the loud-mouth on an Ebike, telling others to "keep up" or "beep beep, coming through".
  7. Don't go against the flow: Yes, you can bike up downhill trails, but you shouldn't.
  8. Be honest: You don't need to claim to have sort of phantom injury to justify your Emtb ownership! If you love to ride then an Emtb let do more of what you love.
  9. Get your hands dirty!: I challenge you to at least 1 bit of track maintenance on every ride whether it be kicking a few stones of the track, removing a fallen tree or getting involved with track building, it's a lot fun and banks up karma.
  10. Pass sensibly: Wait for a safe spot to overtake and don't breathe down a slower riders neck either. The wwwrrrring of an electric-motor may trigger them to harass you.
What rules do you ride by?

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
Can't agree with some of that tbh especially turbo mode as it has it's uses some times, its like owning a car or a motorbike and not running it to the redline for funt at times why wouldn't you ?, I don't need all those rules I just ride with common sense and courtesy same as I do on my non ebike. I only use my ebike to add speed to my trail rides therefore adding excitement. If I catch someone on a normal bike or ebike I just wait for them to acknowledge and move over, if they don't it's no biggie tbh.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I think a lot of the time you can do all the points above and some mtber's will still trash talk you...
I rode home last night but met a friend for coffee first.. as we were leaving she said "you riding that... big cheater!"

I laughed about it but the fact of the matter was she was getting in her nice warm car to travel half the distance I was about to cycle home. The assist didn't make the cycle any warmer or quicker, just less of an assault on my quads!

I sent her a message after my ride suggesting that maybe she needs to ride through the valley, in the rain at -1degrees with a penis and see how much cheating is involved... god damn, all things with an end had turned blue! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm assuming that those ten rules are faults that The Flying Dutchman has observed around him and which have upset him to some degree. I have vented on something similar (emtbs demanding to pass me on a climb, when I was on my clockwork bike), so I believe that I understand where he's coming from.
Janluke observed that there are good guys and dicks in every group. The ten rules are the sort of thing that the good guys do anyway. If the dicks read them they will most likely ignore them anyway, like they are doing now.

However sensible the rules may appear to be, I wouldn't have called them "rules", that is just setting himself up for abuse. And ten is too many, I can't even remember all the Commandments and I have been hosed down with them most of my life. :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Since joining the Emtb revolution, I've come up with my own rules to ensure the peace is kept on the trails with the "unassisted".

Make more friends by:
  1. Don't use Turbo: I seriously can't think of a single time where I needed my TURBO mode. If you're in turbo, chances are you're probably riding like an arsehole.
  2. Never lead the Wolfpack: I notice my group of (non EMTB) riding buddies went cold on me once I started leaving them in the dust on the climbs or when my pace isn't sustainable on a normal bike. Stay behind and have a chat!
  3. Let others ride your bike: If you're a trusting individual, be sure to share the joy of the Emtb. Many folks hide their curiosity or replace it with negetives comments. You may even convert them.
  4. Keep a higher and smoother cadence: This is good method to make sure you keep in the trails in good condition whilst saving juice.it's tempting to ride a higher gear with the assist but you'll find the power surge causes slipping and/or wheeling. Very annoying for others.
  5. Be a pack rat: Carry a comprehensive set of tools, spares, food and water. Not only for yourself but for your fellow trail users who will remember the Emtbr who saved their bacon!
  6. Don't get cocky!: This is a big one. There is no one more hated on the hill than the loud-mouth on an Ebike, telling others to "keep up" or "beep beep, coming through".
  7. Don't go against the flow: Yes, you can bike up downhill trails, but you shouldn't.
  8. Be honest: You don't need to claim to have sort of phantom injury to justify your Emtb ownership! If you love to ride then an Emtb let do more of what you love.
  9. Get your hands dirty!: I challenge you to at least 1 bit of track maintenance on every ride whether it be kicking a few stones of the track, removing a fallen tree or getting involved with track building, it's a lot fun and banks up karma.
  10. Pass sensibly: Wait for a safe spot to overtake and don't breathe down a slower riders neck either. The wwwrrrring of an electric-motor may trigger them to harass you.
I had no idea ducks were such obnoxious creatures! Terrible. It gets worse though - seems like most of them are roadies... ;):ROFLMAO:

ducks.jpg

Confession - I do actually own the green one, someone bought me it as a present for my last birthday!

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales

Make more friends by:
Worse rules than the Velominati....just ride your bike and enjoy

If people want to try an ebike, they can fuck off to demo day and try one

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
We should all have Good Manners as standard in our daily life’s
If you’ve not been brought up with good manners your always gunna be a d?ck whether your on a mountain bike , car , bus ,or what ever doing.
We don’t need a rule book common courtesy should come easy to most.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain

Make more friends by:
Great post of good and common sense (the least common of all senses) ?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
tumbs up to [U]The Flying Dutchman[/U] for the post and sharing . Could be a working idea.
I can agree with some and disagree with others.
Ex. If we ride with respect, good and common sense we cant use turbo if needed.
The first principle could be respect all riders and trails.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Ride whatever and however the fruck you want to keeping within the general Mtb trail rules. If your mates can’t handle you blasting past them in turbo on a climb then tell them straight “ Stop being a purist Strava Wanka”
No way i’m Going to give give up having fun, to save some poor snowflakes feelings.

Coolbanana

Jan 13, 2019
Algarve, Portugal
I'm new to eMTB's and while I live in a tourist area that sees a lot of Holidaymakers on e-Bikes, I find myself not wanting to upset non-assisted cyclists who are clearly out to push themselves.

Yesterday I was at the base of a very steep road and a chap on an MTB raced past me and was really giving it the beans on the hill. I caught up to him easily but didn't overtake him. I respected his effort and didn't want to engage in what could be misconstrued as unfair competition.

That said, back in my racing days, I saw everyone as a potential race opponent when out training and would have seen e-bikes as just another challenge - easily beaten, actually, if they couldn't match an average of 40kph+ on the level and I would have slipped one comfortably up anything but the very steepest inclines too. I am faster generally on my road bike even now. So while my experience with my eMTB is one of fun and thrill at the relative speed on Trails, it is low down speed and shouldn't be an issue for any genuinely serious and half-decent racer who see's everyone as someone to 'beat'.

Generally, I won't have any issues though living where I do; the Trails are large, everywhere and mostly empty and there doesn't appear to be any stigma against e-bikes at all - I still get greeted in a friendly fashion by the roadies and MTBer's I do come across as usual. I guess if I ever found myself on a crowded Trail, I would just be sensible as others have pointed out - gauge the company and ride accordingly. Yesterday the only company I had was 3 ladies with horses who had stopped for a sit down and a banter in the afternoon Sun...I stopped and we had a good chat for 15 min or so, including their genuine interest in my bike and then I continued.

That's the kind of riding I like nowadays: riding for fun, meeting people occasionally, taking in the scenery, having a go at some speed sections to build up a sweat and feel like I've done some exercise too. All in a friendly environment.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have to say nothing annoys me more, on any bike than someone sitting on my back wheel, I would much rather they shouted coming though on what ever side and went by. I take the same logic if I come up behind a slower rider or group, I politely say coming though and get on with it.

Coolbanana

Jan 13, 2019
Algarve, Portugal
I have to say nothing annoys me more, on any bike than someone sitting on my back wheel, I would much rather they shouted coming though on what ever side and went by. I take the same logic if I come up behind a slower rider or group, I politely say coming though and get on with it.

Doesn't bother me at all personally, I'm used to it from riding in a peloton and racing for years - par for the course and perfectly normal to me! Indeed, sharing the workload in a headwind can be very welcome as is just meeting folks and riding with them for a bit. If they look like they are wanting to be alone, then fine, ignore them and ride past if they are slower; easy to find out, overtake and see if they grab my wheel in return.

On an MTB, I have never sat on anyone's wheel, I ride a few bike lengths behind, typically if I don't want to overtake for whatever reason, but never raced MTB and don't have the same sense of needing to be in front as I did years ago nor the same need to be riding hard all the time.

You obviously ride in a very different, more crowded, environment if you have slower riders obstructing your progress when you want to get past and need to tell them you are coming through - I never have that issue, I might see one or two other riders on any given day and no words need to be exchanged, easy to overtake with plenty of room for everyone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles