Dissapointing ride

Ride316

Dec 27, 2018
Kansas
I was really hoping to put my Rance E+ 1 Pro to the test yesterday. I was taking it to the most technical trail that was close to me and I really thought I could get for laps on one charge. Long story short, my battery died on a shortend 2nd lap at the base of the last hill clim “called cardiac hill’. I’ll copy and paste what I posted to some friends. I’m now either going to have to buy another battery or make a switch to a Levo with longer range or a Trek 9.9 Powerfly since my girlfriend rides a trek and I could use here battery when she doesn’t go with me.

This post will be for my MYB buds.

Kinda a disappointing ride today. I had plans to put my GIANT E-Trance EMTB to the test. My goal was to ride 4 consecutive laps at Horizon on one charge. . Based off my rides at Fall River with Stef, I figured I could easily ride 2 laps each on the north and south trails there so I figured 3+ laps at Horizon wouldn’t be an issue. Half way through Lyles Loop I was reminded how demanding that place is for not only man, but machine. I did all of the main trials but I did end up riding Butt Crack instead of the reroute. I rode the “fairly new trails” going up Cardiac and then skipped out on the North Woods. I had to put a little air in my rear tire because I got a small cut just after moonscape but the sealant worked so I didn’t have to stop long. As soon as I started my 2nd lap, my battery dropped from 3 out of 5, to 2 of 5. I was riding in the 2 of 5 mode 85% of the time and the other time I kicked it up to 3 on some of the steeper climbs. I knew I wasn’t going to make it a full lap but I was going to try. I cut off the reroute right after Lyles and dove right into the old trail. Rode everything else but when I hit the river bottom, I took a right and and only rode the 2nd half of it towards Cardiac. Made it 1/4 the way up and I rode all the juice out of the battery. Nothing like being at the bottom of Cardiac on 50 lb bike?.

Looking back at the Fall River ride, I rode the exact same amount of time and still had over 50% left before I slit my tire. Kinda bummed I wasn’t able to ride longer at Horizon. I’m sure it was the difference of the terrain and riding pace. I’ll head to Fall River next week and ride until I completely drain the battery and see how it stacks up.

Still a incredible time on the bike. Hard to beat bombing with 150mm of travel at Horizon.

1E145CC1-67BC-4572-A225-69FFE705F232.png

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
14 miles and 1400ft of climbing? Loads of people with the new Giants have been getting extremely good range, so either you have a problem with your battery or it wasn’t fully charged at the start.

Someone on here had an issue similar, then realised there is a button on the Giant charger that charges the battery only partially for long term storage. My money is on that. Time to read the manual! ;)

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Wow, that seems very short on range - A bit of a surprise as in other threads people are raving about the range available with these bikes - e.g. 25 miles and 4000’ of climbing with 40% + left in the battery. Is it a new bike, as maybe it has a battery problem.

Simon

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
Thank for letting us know your battery - duration. weight, climb, wind, expectations. Glad I didn't have to huff it up Cardiac Hill dead as a doornail. Maybe the long term storage button?

I know i am getting down to the last of 5 battery capacity lights before i recharge that sometimes it is very quick to 5 lights, and other times it seems to take longer.

I want to document that to verify. Don't want to take off for a 5 hour trek and get any surprises. I have a 3,800 ft La Cumbre peak goal for a few months from now. I am looking forward to incrementally educating my rides and being more confident with different conditions to charge life.

Maybe I had the charger on that button? Where's that manual?

Ride316

Dec 27, 2018
Kansas
It was my 4th ride but my first with that much climbing. When I started my Giant app, it did only show 93% charge which was weird. I did have 90 minute drive in 30 degree temps so I figured the cold weather effected the battery.

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
It was my 4th ride but my first with that much climbing. When I started my Giant app, it did only show 93% charge which was weird. I did have 90 minute drive in 30 degree temps so I figured the cold weather effected the battery.

If the bike was carried outside the car in those temperatures I would take off the battery and carry it inside the car to keep it around 70F. Once riding it will take a while to cool, and there will be a bit of self-heating anyway, so will give much better performance.

Simon

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Before you do that check the storage charge button is correctly set, then do a full charge and time it - according to the manual it should take around 3h50 from flat. Anything significantly less than that and you know there is a charging problem.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
No not right. I rode 11.1 miles, 1,338 ft of elevation gain, and had 4 lights showing, but that quickly changed to 3 lights next ride (didn't charge it between rides). If the light on the charger is red/orange in color, you are in 60% mode. If flashing green, you are charging properly. Mine sometimes flashes red, then steady red, then red, etc. I have to unseat the plug and try again until it works. I have a wonky cable or outlet. mostly level 2 on the steep climbs, but 1 on the rest and 180 lbs of mad skills weight (just kidding).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles