Damp on the TCU

Weds

Aug 9, 2019
Kent
Having had on TCU fail (I think due to water ingress) the replacement started playing up. I removed the TCU and found this was damp too. I've wrapped some tape around the lid but i've found that a condom slid over the connectors and the open end pulled over the TCU so that it forms a good seal against the frame. Just cut a hole in the end for the cables to come out. Not tested it yet but will be soon.

TCUcover.JPG

I've also noticed the cables entering the frame just above the TCU aren't sealed either, so I might be putting some silicone sealant around these too..

Did anyone from the manufacturing team do any testing of this bike in our winter conditions in the UK before it came out or are we all the Beta testers.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ibhave taped up my TCU, used amalgamating tape on the connectors and made a rubber gasket to fit between the TCU and frame. I also push grease into the cable ports on the top tube and the strut behind the shock. I did all of the above before the winter.......just as well really as I found the TCU usb port rubber seal had not been properly refitted.

Weds

Aug 9, 2019
Kent
There's a good video on youtube by Rob Rides EMTB taken at Berkshire Cycles where Chris talks about maintaining a Kenevo during the winter.
go to 9:00mins when Chris talks about the TCU, but the whole video is worth watching.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
As said if water gets inside then its going to make it worse

Personally after a wet ride i just remove the TCU and blow it out with an air compressor along with the motor wiring after to clear any water, if you dont have a compressor you could just remove it, wipe it down and let it air dry

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
It’s good to know there’s a lot of people using protection. Personally I’ve had no problems to date.
I just take it out, have a blast put it away for next time.
I love my Kenevo!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Sorry to keep harping on about this but.....
Specialized need to make their TCU, motor and all cable connections at least IP67 rated then all these issues would disappear.
The double ring seal on their battery cable to motor connection does not work in Wales. Also, I should not have to take my TCU off my bike every time I ride it to dry it out. I ride in wet conditions most of the year in Wales, even in summer ? so there is little chance of avoiding water....

What are your thoughts on this @Specialized Rider Care ?
Maybe your Levo/Kenevo test team needs to base itself in south west Wales for a year or two?

Weds

Aug 9, 2019
Kent
Specialized need to make their TCU, motor and all cable connections at least IP67 rated then all these issues would disappear.
The double ring seal on their battery cable to motor connection does not work in Wales. Also, I should not have to take my TCU off my bike every time I ride it to dry it out. I ride in wet conditions most of the year in Wales, even in summer ? so there is little chance of avoiding water....

Maybe your Levo/Kenevo test team needs to base itself in south west Wales for a year or two?

Too true. I'd not realised how bad the water protection was on the Levo until I'd bought one, I've just taken the side cover off by the crank arm and there no water protection at all. It's all damp inside. Do other manufacturers have the same issues ? They can't all be that stupid..

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean

Totally agree
Was told this week by the dealer that Levo owners really need to take out the TCU , remove the crank arm and motor cover and blow out the moisture with an airline after every wet ride or wash and then there wouldn't be an issue with electrical failures on the bike
That may well be the case , but IMO that's ridiculous
Not everyone has access to an airline or the tools, skills and inclination to do that after every ride .
I love my Levo and don't usually get involved with chat such as this as I prefer to keep my input as lightheaded and informative if poss
But Spesh need to man up , take some responsibility for this well known issue and sort it out.

Mike leech

Jul 31, 2019
Grantham
Hi I don’t know if my problems have been similar to yours but my 2020 comp which is only a couple of months old first problem was the tcu which the dealer replaced but basically wouldn’t switch on them the following week same problem but they fitted a new wiring harness this time it does seem to be working better but early days they said the harness was an updated version.

Levo Knievel

Nov 23, 2019
USA
For $3 duct sealant seems to be a good way to keep water out. Where the wires go in and out of the TCU, it can be worked into there much better than electrical tape. I also dressed along the edges of the TCU after I took the picture (arrow). It was easy to apply and can be cleanly pulled off also.

20200127_093551.jpg

20200127_093357.jpg

20200127_093651.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

The 2 green rings that form the seal for the motor connection end of the power cable do need to be both cleaned and lubricated occasionally to ensure a good seal. I use liquid silicone. This is the same stuff that I use on dry zips and rubber seals on drysuits…...they can also leak if not treated occasionally. It should only need doing every couple of months. I think everywhere in the UK has been as wet as Wales this winter!!
I mostly use grease to provide further protection from water ingress. It is easy to apply and clean/remove renew and I do that as part of regular cleaning/maintenance of the bike. Specific places to apply some general purpose grease are:-
- pushed into the lower headest bearing carrier
- pushed into the TCU to frame interface ( I have fitted a gasket there but still double up by using a bit of grease.
- where the cables on the top tube exit and re enter the strut behind the shock
- on the inside of the cranks
- where the TCU cables enter the TCU ( I have taped up the TCU and sealed the TCU connectors with amalgamating tape)
None of this needs cleaning and re-doing more than 2/3 times a year except the grease on the inside of the cranks which is cleaned and renewed every time I clean the bike.

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
New TCU fitted today under warranty, I was told that the old one showed no signs of ingress of moisture but it was the third one the shop has had in this week. Is this a common theme?

Weds

Aug 9, 2019
Kent
New TCU fitted today under warranty, I was told that the old one showed no signs of ingress of moisture but it was the third one the shop has had in this week. Is this a common theme?

Did they look inside the module ? My replacement showed very slight damp on the outside after it had been washed and left a few days. The Bike wouldn't turn on. I suspect water probably got in the cable entries at the front of the top tube when hosed down. After wiping it dry and in a warm room it started working. I hope Specialized get the message soon and do something about it.. Their warranty bill must be horrendous...

JaySal

Sep 23, 2019
Todwick
They showed me the TCU and said that it hadn't any signs. They also said Specialized told them to destroy the old ones which doesn't seem like they are interested in finding out what's causing the faults. I'm going to just tape it up and see how it goes.

Mike leech

Jul 31, 2019
Grantham
Yes I have taped mine up and I am think about what I could get to cover it when washing the bike something like those covers you get to put over your cast when you’ve broken your arm or leg,
I think you have hit on something with bringing the bike into a warm pace ie indoors I suppose you could take the hair dryer to it after washing, anyway fingers crossed we won’t have the problems again.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk

1. 9
  2. Yes I have taped mine up and I am think about what I could get to cover it when washing the bike something like those covers you get to put over your cast when you’ve broken your arm or leg,
    I think you have hit on something with bringing the bike into a warm pace ie indoors I suppose you could take the hair dryer to it after washing, anyway fingers crossed we won’t have the problems again.
    I wrap clingfilm around it when I wash it now. Only done it twice but so far so good.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wrap clingfilm around it when I wash it now. Only done it twice but so far so good.

@steve_sordy could do this ... If he put the bike on the bike rack, wound down a window. Then wrapped several times round the whole car and bike rack with clingfilm - it would be impossible for the bike to fall off the car. Then just Dukes of Hazzard in through the window. It has the bonus of keeping the bike and car clean at the same time.

JohnJohn

Aug 31, 2019
uk
@steve_sordy could do this ... If he put the bike on the bike rack, wound down a window. Then wrapped several times round the whole car and bike rack with clingfilm - it would be impossible for the bike to fall off the car. Then just Dukes of Hazzard in through the window. It has the bonus of keeping the bike and car clean at the same time.
Genius ? . Your wasted stuck in that frame !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles