buying second hand giant trance e+1 pro

tenjintuned

Nov 7, 2020
SOcal
Hi guys, new to the forum.
I'm about to buy a giant trance e+1 pro second hand. I am wondering just how reliable are these bikes are... what are some of the issues that I should look out for? considering that warranty might be out (although the seller told me that he didn't register the bike, so I could probably register it) would it even be possible for me to get warranty for the bike?
I'm sure everyone likes to cop a deal and save some money, but if these things have multiple problems and issues... would it be possibly better to buy it brand new? anyways... would like to hear your guys opinions... thanks !

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I sold my 1500 miler Trance 1 earlier in the year and AFAIK it’s still going strong. Personally I’d buy new though as it’s likely you’re going to need a warranty at some point. I seem to remember the Giant warranty isn’t transferable.

tenjintuned

Nov 7, 2020
SOcal
I sold my 1500 miler Trance 1 earlier in the year and AFAIK it’s still going strong. Personally I’d buy new though as it’s likely you’re going to need a warranty at some point. I seem to remember the Giant warranty isn’t transferable.

IC... this is where my dilemma begins.. I also have considered the fact that I am going to have to take the bike into for warranty service.
the thing is... I'm getting a hell of a deal here... so Im torn between the choice of warranty of the bike vs the risk of copping such a good deal. One thing that I have read up is that Giant only has a life time warranty on the frames of the bike. I believe the battery and motor are wear and tear items that have limited warranties on them. My question is just how reliable is the battery and the motor? will it last past it's warranty period or am I looking at the case of an earlier series of specialized levo's here?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
IC... this is where my dilemma begins.. I also have considered the fact that I am going to have to take the bike into for warranty service.
the thing is... I'm getting a hell of a deal here... so Im torn between the choice of warranty of the bike vs the risk of copping such a good deal. One thing that I have read up is that Giant only has a life time warranty on the frames of the bike. I believe the battery and motor are wear and tear items that have limited warranties on them. My question is just how reliable is the battery and the motor? will it last past it's warranty period or am I looking at the case of an earlier series of specialized levo's here?
The Yamaha motors seem to be one of the more reliable out there. The same can be said for the battery. Weaknesses are the controller, wiring and general waterproofing. Mine was bombproof for 1500 miles, but I know of plenty that just weren’t. My concern would be how it’s been treated previously, and how it’s been washed and maintained. You’re taking a gamble - it could pay off or it could bite you on the arse.

tenjintuned

Nov 7, 2020
SOcal
The Yamaha motors seem to be one of the more reliable out there. The same can be said for the battery. Weaknesses are the controller, wiring and general waterproofing. Mine was bombproof for 1500 miles, but I know of plenty that just weren’t. My concern would be how it’s been treated previously, and how it’s been washed and maintained. You’re taking a gamble - it could pay off or it could bite you on the arse.

so pretty much back to square one... a 50/50 chance that it might go awol or it might just work out fantastically

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Where is this killer deal? My 2019 Trance has been very reliable. I'd buy a used one.

I recently tested the battery capacity on my 2019 after 20 months continuous use, and it still stores >500 watt hours!

Last edited:

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
My 2020 had a faulty motor, Giant was great about it and refunded me as they did not have a replacement in stock. So I switched to a Levo. I am not sure how much you are saving but Giant is strict about their warranty and it is NOT transferable. With ebikes, you have a much bigger chance of something going on. My Giant was in the shop three times in four months, if you can, buy new with warranty.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My 2020 had a faulty motor, Giant was great about it and refunded me as they did not have a replacement in stock. So I switched to a Levo. I am not sure how much you are saving but Giant is strict about their warranty and it is NOT transferable. With ebikes, you have a much bigger chance of something going on. My Giant was in the shop three times in four months, if you can, buy new with warranty.
What was the fault of the motor? Its very rare that the actual motor be faulty.

99% of trouble I've read about here, and elsewhere--with Giants emtb's-- is water in RC1, or water in the connectors, or battery fitment.

I'm not sure I have ever read about an actual motor failure before and it's an interesting topic.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Has anybody ever fit a Yamaha from another brand into their Giant?

It would be awesome to know, what excatly is needed, to put an off-the-shelf Yamaha into a Giant emtb?.

This seller has 12 of them LOL.

Screenshot_20201108-080357_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
With Ebikes, buying new is always going to be the safer option but if 2nd hand is your only option then the Giant is probably one of the safer options and going to get awesome value for money.

Whilst Giants have their niggles, the repair/remedy isn't going to break the bank and can often be fixed at home. The motor and battery seem to be very reliable.

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas
I prefer to buy new but if budget encourages to buy used, a Giant would most likely be a good choice. You'll most likely not have an issue locating Giant LBS to work on any future repairs. Giant's a solid company and make good bikes. If you ride hard on the trails, you'll most likely brake something along the line (hopefully minimal).

If you choose to buy new, get a 29 inch wheel set. I went from a 27.5 to 29 and I found it to be a big difference.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I prefer to buy new but if budget encourages to buy used, a Giant would most likely be a good choice. You'll most likely not have an issue locating Giant LBS to work on any future repairs. Giant's a solid company and make good bikes. If you ride hard on the trails, you'll most likely brake something along the line (hopefully minimal).

If you choose to buy new, get a 29 inch wheel set. I went from a 27.5 to 29 and I found it to be a big difference.

In what way was the 29 different to the 27.5?

OP I am 1700km into my 2020 E+ 1 Pro since June and it’s been flawless.....apart from throwing me into a tree, but I take a bit of responsibility for that

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
My first e-bike was a Giant, great bike, wouldn’t hesitate.
All this warranty talk is bollox. So no one buys 2nd cars/bikes or anything else.
As e-bikes continue in popularity the 2nd market will grow.

yamaha is a good motor, but worse case scenario it’s only £300 for a rebuild ??‍♂️

they have strong frames.

as with anything, check the bike thoroughly and test ride it, good luck ??

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
I hope you purchased the Giant. I purchased new a 2019 Giant Trance e-mtb +1 pro when they first distributed them in NZ in March 2019. Initially the LBS replaced 3 faulty RCO units. Over the two years I have had the Giant, I have done 7600 kilometres 50% on MTB trails, the rest on getting to them and home again afterwards. Faultless performance from the motor and battery. The battery is probably going to outlast the bike. I have had to replace two cassettes and two chains, but apparently that is pretty good for that mileage.
If the price was right and the bike had been looked after and serviced regularly, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second hand e-mtb.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Has anybody ever fit a Yamaha from another brand into their Giant?

It would be awesome to know, what excatly is needed, to put an off-the-shelf Yamaha into a Giant emtb?.

This seller has 12 of them LOL.

View attachment 43868
The software and hardware is modified by Giant so I think it won't work with Giant controller... but maybe if you add a yamaha controller to the equation... ^^

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles