Levo Gen 2 broken spoke at 1080 miles

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I was thinking that I just wanted to be prepared for more broken spokes. Thanks
It’s a pretty rare thing, I don’t think I’ve broken one in about 20 years. Doesn’t seem worth the effort to stock up on supplies and learn how to do, though I’m sure some will beg to differ. I’d just let the shop handle it.

3dp

Aug 26, 2020
Stalyvegas
1 broken rear spoke in 5k km on a 19 LEVO of which a reasonable portion is rock garden (Peak District) - also wrecked a tyre at the bead - found the wheels to be very good given my 90-95Kg when riding kitted - back wheel has also reDeveloped a warp to be trued but all in not too bad

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've always trued my wheels. It's one of many fallacies that you can judge the tension by tapping the spokes in the same place. A few years ago I bought a spoke tension meter which really changed the strength of my wheels. I did my ebike wheels pretty soon after getting it - it's surprising how bad they are. They were in the ballpark, but one or two spokes on each side were quite a bit different. I'm guessing that your broken spoke was the one that had the most tension. First thing I do is measure spoke tensions, then find the average of those tensions. This has to be done for each side of the wheel - one side will be higher tension than the other (eg disc side front or cluster side rear). Then I tension everything to the average. Then I check for true and generally try to keep any changes within 10% of average - usually less.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
A badly adjusted derailleur or a bent hanger can make the derailleur go into the back wheel and trash a load of spokes. This is how I’ve broken mine. Fortunately, if you have the tools to take the cassette off it’s not hard to replace spokes. There are hundreds of varieties of spokes and a good LBS will carry a large range and be able to sell you the correct spoke. I use the sound they make when plucked to get the tension right- admittedly not as good as a tension meter but once trued up I very rarely have to touch the wheel again. Wheel trying is a bit of a black art but now we all have disk brakes there is no need to have the perfection one sought with rim brakes. Getting a wheel reasonably true is requires patience but is quite satisfying!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
A badly adjusted derailleur or a bent hanger can make the derailleur go into the back wheel and trash a load of spokes. This is how I’ve broken mine. Fortunately, if you have the tools to take the cassette off it’s not hard to replace spokes. There are hundreds of varieties of spokes and a good LBS will carry a large range and be able to sell you the correct spoke. I use the sound they make when plucked to get the tension right- admittedly not as good as a tension meter but once trued up I very rarely have to touch the wheel again. Wheel trying is a bit of a black art but now we all have disk brakes there is no need to have the perfection one sought with rim brakes. Getting a wheel reasonably true is requires patience but is quite satisfying!
This post is a textbook argument for letting the shops do it with their tools and expertise.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have a different experience.. the roval wheels in the levo say that they have basically a lifetime warranty IIRC, I broke spokes actually pumping up the tyre which was weird and the shop fixed it for free saying it was covered by warranty.

seacapn

Aug 20, 2020
california
It’s a pretty rare thing, I don’t think I’ve broken one in about 20 years. Doesn’t seem worth the effort to stock up on supplies and learn how to do, though I’m sure some will beg to differ. I’d just let the shop handle it.
I grew up racing dirt bikes and never had a issue with spokes, wheels and hubs.....I buy a emountain bike the first week broken spoke? I agree
I have a different experience.. the roval wheels in the levo say that they have basically a lifetime warranty IIRC, I broke spokes actually pumping up the tyre which was weird and the shop fixed it for free saying it was covered by warranty.
it will be interesting to see what my LBS has to say. It couldn't be that expensive to install a spoke and tru the wheel.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Spokes break. That's typically not a warranty issue. After a windy storm when there are lots of branches and bits down on the trail, it just happens. And if you're set up tubeless, more often than not you need to remove/replace the rim tape and sealant. So it typically isn't just an easy 3 minute job.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I grew up racing dirt bikes and never had a issue with spokes, wheels and hubs.....I buy a emountain bike the first week broken spoke? I agree

it will be interesting to see what my LBS has to say. It couldn't be that expensive to install a spoke and tru the wheel.
I see it differently for a brand new bike. I wouldn't be surprised if a shop would take care of that for nothing. As for normal charges for replacing a spoke and truing a wheel... I wouldn't be surprised to feel some sticker shock, especially if running tubeless. It seems everyone has an inflated sense of their work these days.

seacapn

Aug 20, 2020
california
Spokes break. That's typically not a warranty issue. After a windy storm when there are lots of branches and bits down on the trail, it just happens. And if you're set up tubeless, more often than not you need to remove/replace the rim tape and sealant. So it typically isn't just an easy 3 minute job.
yea n
I see it differently for a brand new bike. I wouldn't be surprised if a shop would take care of that for nothing. As for normal charges for replacing a spoke and truing a wheel... I wouldn't be surprised to feel some sticker shock, especially if running tubeless. It seems everyone has an inflated sense of their work these days.
yes ....thats what makes me want to do it myself but after I go buy everything that's needed I my as well just went and paid the man. I just dont want it to happen to me again next week and be in the same position doling out money.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
yea n

yes ....thats what makes me want to do it myself but after I go buy everything that's needed I my as well just went and paid the man. I just dont want it to happen to me again next week and be in the same position doling out money.
it aint hard, I have laced wheels for mtb and mx bikes in the past with zero experience and no one died :D

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I use the sound they make when plucked to get the tension right
How do you know? I used to believe that too, having done it that way for 20 years or so. Another thing I found, is that spokes that feel really hard to tighten aren't necessarily up to tension, and some spokes that tighten easily can be way over tension; granted that is fairly logical.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
It seems everyone has an inflated sense of their work these days.

Sorry you see it that way. Trust me I understand where you’re coming from. I just spent $400 to fix a $1200 washing machine. Labor rates are the highest they have ever been in the bicycle business. The simple fact is that with labor rates being the highest they have ever been, profitably is the lowest it’s ever been.
It’s very important to me that my technicians are able to earn a living wage and have access to affordable health care.
In my business it’s difficult to find qualified people. I don’t have the luxury of training someone as a technician while paying them.
I have invested in training people in the past, sent them to mechanical courses, fitting school and suspension clinics, only for them to leave a year later for another shop that offers a higher salary since they don’t have to invest in training. Quality technicians that are up to the task are usually at the same shop for many years and don’t leave unless the shop goes under.
My knowledge, training and expertise are valuable. I do this job because I am passionate about what I do. I earn a decent living doing this job and while I could just go back to being a product developer and designer inside a big bike brand pulling down a bigger salary, I wouldn’t get to help the end user directly.
There is no better feeling than when I get to solve a client’s technical issue or help them achieve their cycling goals.
I have met some extraordinary people in my 32 years in bicycle business and built some of my most enduring friendships.
The bike shop will always exist in some form, but we are dying breed, with online retail, mobile repair and home YouTube mechanics, there isn’t much incentive these days to be in bicycle retail or repair.
Where the best you can hope is to make a 2% profit after you factor in the overhead.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Sorry you see it that way. Trust me I understand where you’re coming from. I just spent $400 to fix a $1200 washing machine. Labor rates are the highest they have ever been in the bicycle business. The simple fact is that with labor rates being the highest they have ever been, profitably is the lowest it’s ever been.
It’s very important to me that my technicians are able to earn a living wage and have access to affordable health care.
In my business it’s difficult to find qualified people. I don’t have the luxury of training someone as a technician while paying them.
I have invested in training people in the past, sent them to mechanical courses, fitting school and suspension clinics, only for them to leave a year later for another shop that offers a higher salary since they don’t have to invest in training. Quality technicians that are up to the task are usually at the same shop for many years and don’t leave unless the shop goes under.
My knowledge, training and expertise are valuable. I do this job because I am passionate about what I do. I earn a decent living doing this job and while I could just go back to being a product developer and designer inside a big bike brand pulling down a bigger salary, I wouldn’t get to help the end user directly.
There is no better feeling than when I get to solve a client’s technical issue or help them achieve their cycling goals.
I have met some extraordinary people in my 32 years in bicycle business and built some of my most enduring friendships.
The bike shop will always exist in some form, but we are dying breed, with online retail, mobile repair and home YouTube mechanics, there isn’t much incentive these days to be in bicycle retail or repair.
Where the best you can hope is to make a 2% profit after you factor in the overhead.
Although I have always enjoyed doing my own maintenance and have done so since making money as a teenager by rebuilding racing road bikes, I also like to have a good relationship with my LBS. One rôle those of us who are reasonably mechanically able and knowledgeable is sending all one’s friends (who don’t have the time, aptitude or interest) to the local LBS. As someone is is quite fussy about everything working properly on their bike, it constantly surprises me that people are happy to ride with things not working as they should. These are the people who really need a LBS but sometimes they don’t realise it!

Stp0701

Aug 3, 2020
Salt Lake City
Wuz up guys ......has anyone had any broken spokes? and is this a warranty claim or no?
I’ve had my Levo Comp for two months and four spokes have broken. The dealer has been great and fixed it each time. However, I’m getting tired of the same issue. They can’t figure out what is the cause.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I’ve had my Levo Comp for two months and four spokes have broken. The dealer has been great and fixed it each time. However, I’m getting tired of the same issue. They can’t figure out what is the cause.
My guess, obvious as it is, would be high tension - one poor spoke holding more tension than it's neighbours. It's also possible that the broken spoke is in the same location as the previous broken spokes. Does the shop measure the tension of the spokes (ie measure them all, find the average tension, adjust to within 10% - I go for less than 5%)? I'm guessing not, because it's time consuming, and ideally you'd need to keep a record of each side of each wheel for each client's bike so that you don't have to do it each and every time. It's really something for an owner to do. Resetting all the spokes to a base tension (once you've found the average). It helps to lube the nipples first from above and spin the wheel so that centrifugal force drives the light weight lube down. I actually clean then lube the nipples, then a few rides later I'll work on the wheels. I showed my partner how to measure spoke tensions - she recorded them all for her bikes. That saved me a heap of time doing her bikes.

I also question the wisdom of going with less spokes on ebikes. One good thing about merida is 36 spokes rear, 32 front.

Last edited:

seacapn

Aug 20, 2020
california
how much you pay for each spoke to be replaced?

seacapn

Aug 20, 2020
california
So far I haven’t had to pay anything. But I can’t see the dealer wanting to continue to fix this every two weeks. I wish they could resolve the issue. BTW, I’m 56 years old and a pretty easy, slow rider.
yes ... im not to impressed ... I paid fifty five buck to have one spoke installed.. I was thankful the dealer got me in and out in a couple of days though. Im not a agressive rider as well. I think rocks or branches can rub on them when you least expect it and break those buggers off.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
yes ... im not to impressed ... I paid fifty five buck to have one spoke installed.. I was thankful the dealer got me in and out in a couple of days though. Im not a agressive rider as well. I think rocks or branches can rub on them when you least expect it and break those buggers off.
Wow, that sounds like a rip-off to me!

bertschb

Aug 30, 2020
Anywhere

I've had my 2021 Levo Comp for one month and six spokes have broken! I've had to pay for each repair at $45US each time. No branches where I ride. It's all desert.

seacapn

Aug 20, 2020
california
sounds like some one keeps over tightening them or the wheel is not getting properly trued in between the spoke changes. I think it is bullshit you have to pay a penny on a brand new bike that is under warranty. I ve been told by my local bike shop/ specialized dealer that the spokes are covered in the wheel manufacturer warranty . your dealer should be submitting these claims to the wheel maunfatuer to get his money for the spokes and labor , Not charging you for something that should not be happening. I would contact corporate specialized . Thats not a fair deal.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I had a couple of front spokes break in the first 1000 miles. Got my LBS to replace the first (£10) because I wanted to get back on the road quickly. Second one done under warranty (or at least free to me) by Wheelbase where I bought the bike. Mechanic suggested it was unusual to get 2 broken spokes and if more went they would perhaps take it up with Specialized. No more since then (now at 1500 miles on a 2020 TL bought in March) but a good response from Wheelbase.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Wuz up guys ......has anyone had any broken spokes? and is this a warranty claim or no?
ROVAL WARRANTY AND CRASH REPLACEMENT POLICY
Our Commitment
We work obsessively to create wheels that make your ride better, but we don’t stop there. Because we know that **it happens (we’re riders, too), we have your back with a lifetime warranty and an amazing no-fault crash replacement policy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles