Levo Gen 3 GX chain worn at 400 miles?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Are their counterfeit Sram chains? I noticed on amazon the picture of some of the listings doesn't look right like the GX chain has alternating links one silver one black?
but on amazon I see listings with pictures where all the links are the same colour and in the reviews a lot of people saying the chain snapped on the first use.
see the same on an XX1 listing also, potos with chain links that snapped in half

You can get cheap torque wrenches so why wouldn't you use one.
in the UK we can get a £40 torque wrench aimed at bikes that I think it 2nm - 25nm and it comes with sockets and a calibration certificate
I got one mainly just because if some bolts aren't proper torqued they will creak and I'm heavy handed so easy to strip threads even on a chainring bolt.
being able to do 5-6nm for seatposts is great too, If I do them by hand I always end up not being tight enough and the post will slip in the frame a tiny bit on big

Wished I got 400 mile on any chain on my levo expert
You have to slow the legs down at the right times then all will be OK

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I do exactly the same as you
I took the gamble and bought
an ultrasonic unit and a small crock pot, purchased two gx chains, the secret I recon is really getting the factory oils out of them so the hot wax/Teflon made up wax is applied and gets well into the pins to do it's job
And then apply the Effetto.
Applying this method in the long run works out more cost effective and it definitely prolongs the life of the rest of drive components in my opinion
I havent tried any Hot was yet, but i think its not Worth it with all the hassle it brings. The effetto is great enough on its own for me.
Its also the best drup lube wax Ive tried yet. And its by far better the squirt, boesshield t9 etc...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I havent tried any Hot was yet, but i think its not Worth it with all the hassle it brings. The effetto is great enough on its own for me.
Its also the best drup lube wax Ive tried yet. And its by far better the squirt, boesshield t9 etc...
Serious maintenance that

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Serious maintenance that
I suppose the initial thing is getting the all the items together to do it but truthfully once the procedure is set up it's not really a big deal to do it.
I do it at the same time maintaining / servicing the bikes so no big deal really

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I suppose the initial thing is getting the all the items together to do it but truthfully once the procedure is set up it's not really a big deal to do it.
I do it at the same time maintaining / servicing the bikes so no big deal really
Just seems extreme like you saying getting the factory oils out I don't get that. Ño offence just seems ocd to me .

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Just seems extreme like you saying getting the factory oils out I don't get that. Ño offence just seems ocd to me .
It not ocd it just the correct way to prepare the chain
You only do it once
This can apply to all the branded products on the market
If you want there products to perform well I would do it for those aswell
This kiddies know a bit about ⛓️

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
It not ocd it just the correct way to prepare the chain
You only do it once
This can apply to all the branded products on the market
If you want there products to perform well I would do it for those aswell
This kiddies know a bit about ⛓️
Exactly, it's because of him that i got the ultrasonic cleaner(im not so fanatic like him, but its good enough for me) . It makes life so much easier. Once the factory grease is off, cleaning the chain is so much easier with wax. I just trow 2 chains in there for 10 min at at 80°C with some degreaser. And it's done even before I've cleaned my bike.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I replaced the GX for the XX1. Done 1k miles on it with no apparent wear. Impressed. But I do look after it with wax lube.

Same here - around 1000 miles now. I went for the gold XX1 and I still can't measure any wear since new. Well happy with that, especially given I am almost exclusively running in eMTB mode now. And the only maintenance I do is chuck a bit of Squirt lube on every few rides. I have to add though, I'm not much of a mud merchant.

bazxa

Jan 18, 2022
Heathcote NSW Australia
3 rd shimano chain in 1500Klm, it's the aggressive environment in which it lives. Stated hot waxing the chains & they seem to last longer. Run 3 in rotation to reduce the impact of worn chains on other components.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles