Bosch KIOX retrofit

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
To route the cable fasten a fishing line (or similar) to the end of the Purion cable and then when you fasten the Kiox cable to it just pull it back through.
But there is only a tiny hole in the frame relative to the connector, what about that?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth

Kiox upgrade done

So I fitted the upgrade kit today and it’s quite easy. You don’t need a crank puller and you don’t have to remove the motor if you are lucky.

The hardest thing is removing the sump guard. The two screws that are at the rear might need you to cut down an Allen key in order to get in. There’s not much space and its fiddly.

I removed battery and the Purion display and left it hanging, flipped the bike over and removed the wheels, it just saves them getting in the way.

Remove that nasty sharp screw where the cables are routed at the headstock and remove the sump guard. Next remove the rubberised housing on the motor, the side with the writing on. I pulled a string through using the original Purion on cable so that I was able to fish the old wire out and put the new wire in. Its a bit of a fiddle but I was able to get the connector through. This is where you may have luck if the string you have put through has a free and straight run otherwise you will need to take the motor out, it’s just six bolts.

You will be able to see how the connector fastens to the motor looking at the Kiox plug. Put everything back and you’re done.

The unit was recognised straight away, the app took a while to update the software but it’s all straight forward. There are instructions that come with the kit that are generic but worth a look.”

Stro3579

Oct 2, 2020
USA

Kiox upgrade done

So I fitted the upgrade kit today and it’s quite easy. You don’t need a crank puller and you don’t have to remove the motor if you are lucky.

The hardest thing is removing the sump guard. The two screws that are at the rear might need you to cut down an Allen key in order to get in. There’s not much space and its fiddly.

I removed battery and the Purion display and left it hanging, flipped the bike over and removed the wheels, it just saves them getting in the way.

Remove that nasty sharp screw where the cables are routed at the headstock and remove the sump guard. Next remove the rubberised housing on the motor, the side with the writing on. I pulled a string through using the original Purion on cable so that I was able to fish the old wire out and put the new wire in. Its a bit of a fiddle but I was able to get the connector through. This is where you may have luck if the string you have put through has a free and straight run otherwise you will need to take the motor out, it’s just six bolts.

You will be able to see how the connector fastens to the motor looking at the Kiox plug. Put everything back and you’re done.

The unit was recognised straight away, the app took a while to update the software but it’s all straight forward. There are instructions that come with the kit that are generic but worth a look.”
Thanks

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I'm thinking of getting the kiox on my haibike but I was wondering does the motor need an update if I want to install the kiox( as I never updated it when it came out of the shop)?
My haibike is also derestricted does the kiox work with it?

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
@Pigin or anyone else that has done this, I'm looking at the gap between the RIB bottom housing/bracket/connector and the frame and it seems awfully small. Is the connector for the controller really that small and will fit through those gaps? Or, did you have to remove/loosen anything else to get it to work?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
The connector has to fit through the head of the bike so that will give you an idea of just how small it is.

You can use the Purion cable to pull the new cable through if you fasten them together.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
The penny drops. I was thinking I had to pull it through from the motor end towards the bars, not the other way around. If I disconnect the cable from the Purion first (not the motor) and pull it down that way, it will fit through all the gaps (tightly). Have I got that right?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Disconnect at the motor first, attach a string or wire to it and pull it through towards the headstock . Attach the kiox cable to that new wire/string and pull it back through towards the motor. Jiggle it if if gets stuck.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I started to do this retrofit today and as I started to pull lightly on the wires running through the battery compartment to see which one was the Purion cable, the end of a wire at the top of the battery compartment came free. It had no connector on the end, no exposed wires from the sheathing, and nothing exposed or stripped. I obviously stopped, put everything back together and test rode the bike.

It seemed to work fine. All modes, switching from mode to mode, there as obviously power. Is it possible that there's a cable in there from the motor to the top of the bottom tube that isn't connected to anything? Is it the light wire (in which case I don't care)? Anyone have any idea what else it would be? Have f*****d things up?

Last edited:

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
It's the light wire.

Thanks, I found the service manual online as well and that seemed to confirmed it as well. I kind of panicked for a minute when this wire was loose. I may just remove it entirely as I can't imagine ever installing an integrated light.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Don't. The plugs have seals on them to help prevent water ingress on the motor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles