STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
1. Because the app creator doesn't work for Shimano's warranty department.
2. Because the app is not officially approved for use by Shimano.
3. Because the app creator isn't in the business of holding people's hands LOL

Okay seriously though - the reality is this: apps that do derestriction/make downgrading possible to the end user are doing things that (here's that word again) obviously go beyond what Shimano intended. Shimano has their own official app that only does what they want user to do. It's like modding a car for higher performance; your factory warranty is void if something goes wrong as a direct result of the modifications you did that altered how the car was designed to do and made the car go beyond what was intended.

So just because the STUnlocker app (or the other apps available out there) can modify the STEPS system do these extra things, it doesn't mean that everyone who uses it will have 100% trouble-free success; case in point, the most recent "omg used the app and my bike got messed up!" thread of the week.

Thus, it's simple: if you're worried about voiding your warranty, don't do anything that puts you and your bike outside of the warranty policy. Enjoy your bike in stock unmodified form, and (one more time) obviously you'll stay covered.

But if you want to accept the risks and responsibility of wanting to modify your STEPS system to do things beyond what was intended by Shimano, then by all means download the app and enjoy the added customization. :)

Simple. :cool:
I'd just like to see the extra info the app shows and change region to US which is intended by Shimano if you're in the right region.

Obviously there is always a risk but I'm sure some options are more risky then others. Also I'm sure there is anti detection methods or tips to help make it more likely to be undetectable when needs servicing.

Some people have had problems others have gotten away with it, what are these people doing differently so that it is not detected when in for repair.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I'd just like to see the extra info the app shows and change region to US which is intended by Shimano if you're in the right region

Region change isn't intended for end users; it's for the bike manufacturers/retailers to specify based on where the bike is being sold.

Obviously there is always a risk but I'm sure some options are more risky then others. Also I'm sure there is anti detection methods or tips to help make it more likely to be undetectable when needs servicing.

I thought it wasn't obvious? :cool:

Some people have had problems others have gotten away with it, what are these people doing differently so that it is not detected when in for repair.

And that is exactly why the app says "may void warranty."

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Take it with a grain of salt but my last motor I modified the restriction percentage for eco with the emax software before shimano allowed it on their firmware. Nothing was said after the motor was sent back. Now that wasn't derestricting so to speak but still involved a modification with an unapproved software.

Now with that said the LBS did say they refused one guy who actually burnt the motor out using a badass box or something similar. I reckon it's luck of the draw.

If you have a look at the stat's in stunlocker it shows the average speed of the motor. If they log in and it shows the average speed over say 1000km was too high or too low then obviously it's been fiddled with.

No one really knows what Shimano can and can't see once a motor has been derestricted. A blown motor that is specifically noted as "deresticted" will violate warranty. A motor that has been derestricted and fails, but that the user specifies as "not derestricted" is a much more plausible case for warranty.......

If Shimano can see top/average speed, let's assume they can, who is to say you didn't take it down a road descent from the top of a mountain every day to grab a coffee??

therein lies the risk. Jebus........:poop:

Anybody that is even thinking of derestricting needs to put the time into reading all available resources until they formulate their own opinion. Yeah that means you have to do some work...duh....shit's just not gonna be handed to you on a silver platter.

Last edited:

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Don't forget that you might not be ensured if an accident occurs and they find out you tampered with the motor. It is something you should also consider since in some countries you'll be paying off debt for the rest of your life, if unlucky.

Thimlicek

Sep 23, 2019
Tilburg
I would like to know is somebody here did downgrade from firmware 4.7.1 to 4.3.2 without issues. I mean with official Shimano app for Android.
I did it one time from 4.7.0 but from this new firmware I am not sure....

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Region change isn't intended for end users; it's for the bike manufacturers/retailers to specify based on where the bike is being sold.

So that's not a maybe, thats a yes would void warranty

And that is exactly why the app says "may void warranty."

From what I've heard from you and creator using app Will void warranty

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

When did God get involved in this one ? I didn't realise he had affiliations with Shimano ?

Sam,

From what you've said, you've worked this all this out for yourself already .. but seem to be asking for someone to commit to a decisive response - too which they can't.

Basically, you have a bike which is at present restricted by law to 25kph. In America, the same bike would be restricted to 32kph.

Shimano make some software so you can adjust the settings which they're comfortable with you adjusting, both legally and with regard to not causing any undue effects to their systems.

Beyond that, you are making changes which are possibly illegal, for instance changing the assist limit to more than 25kph - unless you are on private land. Or, from Shimano's perspective, changes which may cause additional wear or increased risk of failure, to which they quite reasonably would not want to be responsible for.

Some people in this world like to tinker, tune, change things. Third parties have created software which assists people to do this. Shimano's own software, intended for use by their agents, also lets you configure some of these things.

Hopefully, it's pretty obvious to anyone, that if you modify something - be it via hardware or software, then you have changed it beyond the manufacturers intended use/specifications, so you can no longer reasonably expect them to warranty it.

If you bought some 12v bulbs and ran them at 24v to make them brighter and they burnt out after a week, assuming you weren't mad, you wouldn't expect to take them back for replacement because they'd failed. If you stuck a third party operating system on your phone and it stopped working, you wouldn't take it back to the shop and complain it's broken. They're decisions you've made, knowing full well that you've changed something beyond the manufacturers intentions and can't expect anyone else to be responsible for what you've done.

This is 100% your choice and your decision and the consequences are yours and yours alone.

If you've change the speed assist setting and your bearings fail after six months, hopefully shimano will change your bearings as that shouldn't of happened. If you've upped the motor power to 600w and the motor melted down 1km from your house, YOU broke it.

That's my boring post of the month out of the way.... I can now continue to be stupid.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Guys, I think that @Samwise is a troll or represents the interests of competitors. He even put 1 star on Google Play and warned everyone that the app will void the Shimano warranty. I do not believe that in this world there is a person who really thinks so. This is just unbelievable ...

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm waiting for the next reply.. which will be something like "why does it let you do it if you shouldn't"

So in anticipation... It's a tool.. just because you own a screwdriver doesn't mean you unscrew your wall sockets so you can lick the wires and see what electricity tastes like.

And just to save anyone the trouble.. sherbet.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Hopefully, it's pretty obvious to anyone, that if you modify something - be it via hardware or software, then you have changed it beyond the manufacturers intended use/specifications, so you can no longer reasonably expect them to warranty it.

This is 100% your choice and your decision and the consequences are yours and yours alone.

I thought it was, but it's just been proven by all these new threads popping up that it's not obvious to use some common sense.

Here's a pencil.
Write a letter with it.
Can I guarantee that you won't poke your eye out with it.? No.

Here's a knife.
Spread some butter on toast
Can I guarantee that you won't stab yourself in the thigh with it? No.

Here's an app that modifies more than what Shimano's warranty allows.
Use it, mod your e-bike, enjoy.
Can I guarantee that you won't mess up during a FW downgrade or you won't overheat your motor by using high settings or you won't wear down your components faster? No.

It's basic common sense. Use the app, and accept the responsibility of making your own decision in case something goes wrong. Or don't use it, enjoy your e-bike, and we don't have to answer "hey guys will this app void my warranty?" questions every other day.

SLAMR

Aug 19, 2019
Austria
Sensible to do some research before hand, especially when the creator of the app doesn't care about the warranty.

So far I've only seen one person modify using app and had to return to service centre and work was refused because motor had been modified.

I'd like to hear if anyone has used the app put it back to normal and still been able to get there bike serivce but can't seem to find them so thought I'd ask on here as an ebike forum.

If these sort of questions bore you, maybe don't read the threads :)

Hi Samwise,

depending what you have changed, you can change it back to the original status and then go to the bike shop. At the same time, if in US is allowed to ride at 32km/h why would it affect the engine? and the warranty? Is just a matter of local laws.

You have to take your own decisions and the inherent risks. The creator of the app is not responsible of what you do with your bike.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
if you're in US and change to Europe region (32 to 25 km/h)....it will propably still void warranty.
will it harm the motor/battery/electronic...??..not a bit.
just use the software....or stfu :)

SLAMR

Aug 19, 2019
Austria
Need help translating STUnlocker (STEPS Unlocker) App's interface into other languages. PM to me if you can help with translation from English to German, French, Dutch, Spanish and etc.
I could help to translate it into spanish, but i don´t have much time, so it would take a while.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New version was released for Android. Localized for German, Italian, French, Dutch, Finnish, Russian, Spanish (50% was translated by DeepL on-line translator)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New version was released with Light settings added. It's possible to switch ON/OFF the light and reduce reserved battery capacity for the light.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
There's a variant of the 4.3.2 firmware out there that's been renamed 5.8.8 (presumably so that it won't be written over with a newer version by accident), but it's otherwise exactly the same as 4.3.2. Has anyone tried using STUnlocker with it?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
There's a variant of the 4.3.2 firmware out there that's been renamed 5.8.8 (presumably so that it won't be written over with a newer version by accident), but it's otherwise exactly the same as 4.3.2. Has anyone tried using STUnlocker with it?

It’s probably not a “variant” but it could be 4.3.2 renamed to allow the downgrade method. If you’re not sure of the source of the firmware, be aware that you use it at your own risk.

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
5.8.8 is the 4.3.2

4.3.2 is working the only downside is the battery management not that good with Tec pack on my Focus Drifter

4.7.1 is better , less bugs , but there is no speed limit ajustable

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
It’s probably not a “variant” but it could be 4.3.2 renamed to allow the downgrade method. If you’re not sure of the source of the firmware, be aware that you use it at your own risk.

You're correct, it's the 4.3.2 firmware but has been renumbered (presumably so that it doesn't accidentally get written over by a newer firmware). I know the source of the firmware and trust it. And no, if I had a problem I would probably not even submit the bike for warranty, I'm happy to pay full freight for the best experience and would never blame Shimano for a problem after I modified their product!

My question is whether I could/should use the same renumbered firmware and downgrade method with STunlocker because it'll work fine with the 4.3.2 firmware even if it's been renumbered, or whether STunlocker looks specifically for the 4.3.2 version number before unlocking full functionality?

I guess I can just try and see, but that means I have to buy a new e-bike to be sure which is a big expense! :)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
You're correct, it's the 4.3.2 firmware but has been renumbered (presumably so that it doesn't accidentally get written over by a newer firmware). I know the source of the firmware and trust it. And no, if I had a problem I would probably not even submit the bike for warranty, I'm happy to pay full freight for the best experience and would never blame Shimano for a problem after I modified their product!

My question is whether I could/should use the same renumbered firmware and downgrade method with STunlocker because it'll work fine with the 4.3.2 firmware even if it's been renumbered, or whether STunlocker looks specifically for the 4.3.2 version number before unlocking full functionality?

I guess I can just try and see, but that means I have to buy a new e-bike to be sure which is a big expense! :)

I know I’m correct (EDIT: not trying to sound cocky, just saying I did know). Basically the firmware file must be higher than what is currently installed in the drive unit in order to overwrite it.

I just said "probably" because I’m never going to “officially” confirm any firmware downgrade files from anyone I don't know... so no one can blame me if they brick their e-MTB :D

I will say though - I’ve successfully downgraded back and forth numerous times using this method while testing.

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Also fun fact - the older versions of the formerly named "STEPS Unlocker" manual had downgrade instructions, and I had completed a "STEPS Downgrade Package" (w/step-by-step instructions) that was ready to go - until Shimano's lawyers gave vadII trouble and forced the rename to STUnlocker. Thus I decided not to release the downgrade package I created so they couldn't touch me LOL :cool:

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
Also fun fact - the older versions of the formerly named "STEPS Unlocker" manual had downgrade instructions, and I had completed a "STEPS Downgrade Package" (w/step-by-step instructions) that was ready to go - until Shimano's lawyers gave vadII trouble and forced the rename to STUnlocker. Thus I decided not to release the downgrade package I created so they couldn't touch me LOL :cool:

Gotcha. So STunlocker should work with this 5.8.8 firmware? In other words, STunlocker will just attempt to do the job and it'll work or it won't, it's not that STunlocker will look for version 4.3.2 and refuse to try unless it sees that version number?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Gotcha. So STunlocker should work with this 5.8.8 firmware? In other words, STunlocker will just attempt to do the job and it'll work or it won't, it's not that STunlocker will look for version 4.3.2 and refuse to try unless it sees that version number?

There is no "5.8.8" firmware. STUnlocker doesn't "check" in that way that you think. If the firmware loaded in the drive unit is compatible with STUnlocker, then STUnlocker will work. If not, then it won't.

Last edited:

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Set speed limit with 4.3.2 and go back to 4.7.1 do not keep the speed limits. They are erased by the firmware logic.

4.3.2 downside are several bugs but speed limit are raised

4.7.1 downside is 32 kph speed limit but almost no bugs

Samsdi2

Dec 27, 2019
Uk
Hi newbie, with my first e bike.
Does this work with the steps e6000, as the pdf only has the e6100 and higher.

Also all I want to do is change the country setting to USA as that gives additional Assisi require.
My question is how likely is that likely to cause warranty issues as the bike is barely a month old.
thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles