STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Thinking of getting the license but the other day messing around with the app I changed the chain ring size from 34t to 32t and the bike kept throwing an error e010. Wouldn't let me do anything, only way to fix was to change the chain ring back to 34t, then the problem was resolved.

Anyone had anything similar. Don't want to blow $30 euro for the bike to chuck a tantrum.
I've add this feature because some members want it. 32t does not supported by Shimano firmware, as well as other chain rings except 34 and 36

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Thinking of getting the license but the other day messing around with the app I changed the chain ring size from 34t to 32t and the bike kept throwing an error e010. Wouldn't let me do anything, only way to fix was to change the chain ring back to 34t, then the problem was resolved.

Anyone had anything similar. Don't want to blow $30 euro for the bike to chuck a tantrum.

Shimano E-8000 chainrings come in 44T, 38T, 36T, 34T only. This app feature is only for those with larger chinrings that want to modify to a lower tooth count up to 34T.

TIP

Jan 19, 2019
Kent
Having issues with connecting , just get a message "E-Bikes not found"
etube connects and works so the BT connection is there, location permission on, pin set in the STunlocker app settings , any advise ??

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Having issues with connecting , just get a message "E-Bikes not found"
etube connects and works so the BT connection is there, location permission on, pin set in the STunlocker app settings , any advise ??

Read the FAQ in the manual

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Make sure nothing else in your settings is connected to the e-bike through Bluetooth. Leave the ST app open and turn the e-bike off, then on again. The e-bike should pop up in the app connection screen just after the e-bike battery lights up. If not, keep the ST app open and try powering off and on again.

TIP

Jan 19, 2019
Kent
Make sure nothing else in your settings is connected to the e-bike through Bluetooth. Leave the ST app open and turn the e-bike off, then on again. The e-bike should pop up in the app connection screen just after the e-bike battery lights up. If not, keep the ST app open and try powering off and on again.
nope still nothing, unpaired and re-paired but ST just not having it???

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
nope still nothing, unpaired and re-paired but ST just not having it???

Just got home, tried the latest Android app on two devices as well as the latest iOS app on 3 devices, and all of them connected right away... what device are you trying to connect with? And what display unit is on your e-bike?

TIP

Jan 19, 2019
Kent
Just got home, tried the latest Android app on two devices as well as the latest iOS app on 3 devices, and all of them connected right away... what device are you trying to connect with? And what display unit is on your e-bike?
Im using a Honor 8x running android 8.1 and the bike has a e8000 display, btw thanks for the help

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Im using a Honor 8x running android 8.1 and the bike has a e8000 display, btw thanks for the help
Re-install the App and give to the App rights to access GPS and Bluetooth. I'm 99.9% sure that this is the issue. GPS must be enabled during connection.

TIP

Jan 19, 2019
Kent
Re-install the App and give to the App rights to access GPS and Bluetooth. I'm 99.9% sure that this is the issue. GPS must be enabled during connection.
have reinstalled, app has location permission (no permission asked for for bluetooth?) still getting same "E-Bikes not found" message , (location/gps is on , bluetooth is on)

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Quick question, do i need to uninstall the original app for the licence to work with ST Unlocker? (I purchased the licence when it first came out)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
If you want to apply the license to the new App "ST Unlocker" you have to remove "STEPS Unlocker" App first.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Yep, kind of gets old reading through the same old "I'm scared" posts. Shit or get off the pot.
Sensible to do some research before hand, especially when the creator of the app doesn't care about the warranty.

So far I've only seen one person modify using app and had to return to service centre and work was refused because motor had been modified.

I'd like to hear if anyone has used the app put it back to normal and still been able to get there bike serivce but can't seem to find them so thought I'd ask on here as an ebike forum.

If these sort of questions bore you, maybe don't read the threads :)

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Sensible to do some research before hand, especially when the creator of the app doesn't care about the warranty.

So far I've only seen one person modify using app and had to return to service centre and work was refused because motor had been modified.

I'd like to hear if anyone has used the app put it back to normal and still been able to get there bike serivce but can't seem to find them so thought I'd ask on here as an ebike forum.

If these sort of questions bore you, maybe don't read the threads :)

there are risks, you are taking them if you derestrict your bike. there are countless posts on this. there is no such thing as an approved for warranty method. Do or do not, simple.

yes is boring because the threads get buggered up with the same questions that if read more carefully you can avoid and just make a decision, hence shitting or getting off the pot.

could be no one knows, could be no one wants to say. what's the worst that can happen? do your own research and read every thread on this, not just the latest horror story because there's a lot more here.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
there are risks, you are taking them if you derestrict your bike. there are countless posts on this. there is no such thing as an approved for warranty method. Do or do not, simple.

yes is boring because the threads get buggered up with the same questions that if read more carefully you can avoid and just make a decision, hence shitting or getting off the pot.

could be no one knows, could be no one wants to say. what's the worst that can happen? do your own research and read every thread on this, not just the latest horror story because there's a lot more here.
I can see why people keep asking when no one wants give a straight answer. Shop can do it for me without voiding warranty but is more expensive but think I'll do that so I can deristrict without losing warranty :)

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Take it with a grain of salt but my last motor I modified the restriction percentage for eco with the emax software before shimano allowed it on their firmware. Nothing was said after the motor was sent back. Now that wasn't derestricting so to speak but still involved a modification with an unapproved software.

Now with that said the LBS did say they refused one guy who actually burnt the motor out using a badass box or something similar. I reckon it's luck of the draw.

If you have a look at the stat's in stunlocker it shows the average speed of the motor. If they log in and it shows the average speed over say 1000km was too high or too low then obviously it's been fiddled with.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I can see why people keep asking when no one wants give a straight answer. Shop can do it for me without voiding warranty but is more expensive but think I'll do that so I can deristrict without losing warranty :)

So you live in the UK, have a Focus Jam2 and the dealer will deristrict for you and preserve your warranty.
Now that is worth the long trip down south.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
So you live in the UK, have a Focus Jam2 and the dealer will deristrict for you and preserve your warranty.
Now that is worth the long trip down south.
My bad they don't do it for shimano, just went to order. just Bosch and Yamaha and you to have brought the bike from them to be able to get it so I wouldn't have qualified anyway

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Then why say may void warranty and not say it obviously voids warranty? In the manual?

Why couldn't creator of the app answer this question if it's so obvious?

1. Because the app creator doesn't work for Shimano's warranty department.
2. Because the app is not officially approved for use by Shimano.
3. Because the app creator isn't in the business of holding people's hands LOL

Okay seriously though - the reality is this: apps that do derestriction/make downgrading possible to the end user are doing things that (here's that word again) obviously go beyond what Shimano intended. Shimano has their own official app that only does what they want user to do. It's like modding a car for higher performance; your factory warranty is void if something goes wrong as a direct result of the modifications you did that altered how the car was designed to do and made the car go beyond what was intended.

So just because the STUnlocker app (or the other apps available out there) can modify the STEPS system do these extra things, it doesn't mean that everyone who uses it will have 100% trouble-free success; case in point, the most recent "omg used the app and my bike got messed up!" thread of the week.

Thus, it's simple: if you're worried about voiding your warranty, don't do anything that puts you and your bike outside of the warranty policy. Enjoy your bike in stock unmodified form, and (one more time) obviously you'll stay covered.

But if you want to accept the risks and responsibility of wanting to modify your STEPS system to do things beyond what was intended by Shimano, then by all means download the app and enjoy the added customization. :)

Simple. :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles