E-bike and car roof racks

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Hi guys - any issues with bike racks (roof or otherwise) and the extra weight of our bikes?
I’ll admit that even to start with my set up is not ‘normal’ but potential weight issues are the same.
I’m thinking I’d take the front wheel off and use a fork/front axle mount to lower everything, and brace the bike for side-to-side movement a little more than the usual non-e bikes....

95297EDF-3542-402B-A2A9-CBD9A74FBB0E.jpeg

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Photo is just to illustrate my set up - I’d probably use a different style of frame clamping system etc.
But have noticed that the weight limit advised by Thule for their bike racks is a lot lower than the weight of my Levo....

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Taking the battery off makes it a lot more manageable. Interested in this as have a company car so don't want to go to the expense of a tow bar even though that is clearly the best option. I notice one of the CRC reviews for the E-Sommet mentions using a Thule 591 without issue - anyone else doing similar?
I'm thinking of ordering a set of Whispbars and 598s, wondering though if one if the front wheel "x-clamp" designs might be better for an ebike?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
If its going on the roof (shudder) i would make sure the manufacturers weight limit is well above the weight of your bike. Then if its clamped to roof rails you need to check the weight limit of those as well. Side to side stress is what i would worry about

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
I used to carry my 2 Ebikes on the roof rack with thule carriers, BUT, with both batteries removed, but was very cautious on roundabouts and corners, I never had a problem, but Ive now stopped tempting fate and gone for a tow bar mounted Peruzzo Pure Instinct Black 2 Bike carrier. (fitted the tow bar yesterday)

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I think most roof carriers have a weight limit of about 20kg, removing the battery gets most bikes just under that. Agreed on the lateral loading though, dont fancy the thought of taking corners at any sort of speed....

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
80mph in the rain with no battery in there to sheild the electric connections isn't a problem then?.

Not a problem on the Haibike or Giant as thhey are suposed to be water resistant, and are treated with a little silicone grease.
But I have more trouble getting the car to do 80mph when loaded with bikes on top, Its only a Dacia Stepway. :ROFLMAO:

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Maybe you should look for a way to tow your Caterham with your bike?

Nevertheless, without the front wheel and battery, the solution you have here seems better for weight distribution than a standard roof rack positioning.

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
80mph in the rain with no battery in there to sheild the electric connections isn't a problem then?.

Not a problem on the Haibike or Giant as thhey are suposed to be water resistant, and are treated with a little silicone grease.
But I have more trouble getting the car to do 80mph when loaded with bikes on top, Its only a Dacia Stepway.
I don't trust any waterproof claims. When I transport my Giant on the bike rack with battery off, I cover battery terminals with my omelette.

Its a moulded plastic cover that clips over the terminals. Keeps all the traffic film and weather out.

Works a treat.

Pottsy
20180428_204420.jpg
20180428_204405.jpg

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I never thought of removing the battery. I use a Thule T2, specs 60 lbs per bike, 120 total.

I would worry about cornering with a roof rack.

Darb1972

Apr 29, 2018
Boston
Hi guys - any issues with bike racks (roof or otherwise) and the extra weight of our bikes?
I’ll admit that even to start with my set up is not ‘normal’ but potential weight issues are the same.
I’m thinking I’d take the front wheel off and use a fork/front axle mount to lower everything, and brace the bike for side-to-side movement a little more than the usual non-e bikes....

View attachment 1200
Hi there, so when my attempt to fit the bike in the car and failed, went back to the shop and asked for a roof rack.
Was told it wasnt recommended in the wet for ebikes.

Elroy

Apr 8, 2018
California
I have a newer yakima rack that should be up to the task, however i may have to take up weight lifting so i can get a 50 lbs bike on the roof of my hatchback

Dukeinlondon

Apr 9, 2018
South West London
Even if I had a decent roof rack and weight wasn't a problem, I couldn't lift the ebike on to it.

I use a tow bar mounted Buzzrack Scorpin 2. A lot easier, but u need tow bar.

Ta
Pottsy View attachment 1201
Most definitely going for that on my next car. I have one of those bike carriers secured with straps and really don't like it so never use it. This is definitely the best solution. Sometimes I am thinking of getting a mini van for the bike :p

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia

View attachment 1200

Thats one awsome aerodynamic device! Nice car too.

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Having a fork mounted support frame delivered today, so going to try that in the Caterham - 23kg weight quoted by manufacturer, so with no front wheel and no battery fitted I should be close.
Advantage of my set up is that it is low! No way I’d try lifting the Levo into a real roof!!

Hurrellmc'burrell

Apr 12, 2018
Tredegar
Hi guys interesting topic this I recently put my e bike on a foldable car rack with only the front wheel taken off but as I have a hatchback it seemed that all of the weight of the bike was on the rear window and as I didn't want to expose the battery connections to wet weather kept the battery on I did drive for about a mile or 2 but didn't want to risk having the bike potentially going through my back window as it's a lot of weight for the window to support so took off the rack off and put the bike in the car but it seems to me the tow bar carrier/rack is the best solution think it's something I may consider myself

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles