Removing Gorilla tape residue from wheel rims

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you're not going to believe this but... Peanut butter and a plastic tyre lever

I don't actually see why you're having such an issue with the RF ARC rims. If I remember them correctly they have a decent rim well.
Correct me if my memory of them is ropey.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I thought you might be interested to see what I'm on about.

I have already made a start on removing some of the adhesive residue from where the tyre bead sits at the top of the picture. But not at the bottom. You can see that the offset spoke holes in the RaceFace AR30 rim alternate from just a bit off-centre to almost breaking through into the gully where the tyre bead goes. Not sure how I can seal that close spoke hole without also laying a layer of rim tape on the bulge between it and the gulley.
For a cross section view of the rim see post #4 from @STATO here:
Tips on removing a tyre please - EMTB Forums

View attachment 45632

holy shyt, I'd take that to the local dippers and have 'em dunk it in a tank of caustic soda for an hour! that is really bad. please let's us all know if petrol works.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
the only 2 things I've found peanut better any good for is removing glue residue from tape and decals or baiting mice.

But I suppose if your ex happened to be highly alergic to nuts it may have a third use ;)

and bestiality, apparently. ? ?

who knew.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I use this stuff for removing labels, tape, or anything sticky.
Put it in a spray bottle, and spray a decent coating on. Leave for a couple of mins to soak in, then wipe off. Great stuff! Something that we have an abundance of at work ?

Würth Silicone Remover 1 l. Sabesto Silicone Remover Cleaner Very High Cleaner NEW

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
If no ones mentioned it already, petrol on a rag should remove it !
What you mean “ looks good “ ? It can’t be seen !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would try diesel rather than petrol. It melts glue!! Want proof? I once spent a few weeks in my youth working at a Petrol station...back in the days before self service! I wore trainers. Filling lorries with hundreds of gallons of diesel, within 2 weeks I was walking back to the kiosk and the soles of my trainers just fell off!! Both of them.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
1606459369161.png

Melts gorilla tape residue in under a minute, fantastic stuff. Smells nice & doesn't harm skin.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
the only 2 things I've found peanut better any good for is removing glue residue from tape and decals or baiting mice.

But I suppose if your ex happened to be highly alergic to nuts it may have a third use ;)

Peanut butter sandwiches are banned in Australian schools .
Too many kids are highly allergic and can go into anaphylactic shock .

In a previous life I worked cleaning glue off things . Eucalyptus oil is the shizz . Leaves no residue .

nickfrog

May 22, 2020
UK
I used Gorilla tape on my wheel rims, as recommended by my LBS.

Avoid that shop in future would be my advice. AG Tar remover will work but the daddy is Autosmart Tardis. This will shift the glue.

And then just invest £10 in a big roll of TESA 4289 which will do many wheels. Even cheaper than Gorilla but without the downsides.

No need for expensive dedicated tapes which are often made by... TESA.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow! That petrol and rag solution that @Cisco proposed really worked! (and @#lazy later, which I didn't see until this morning).

After 90 mins laboriously picking it off with Sellotape and only managing less than 25%, it took me 20 mins to do the rest with petrol and bits of old cut up Terry towel. At first it doesn't look as though it isn't going to work, but keep rubbing and keep the towel wet with petrol and suddenly, off it comes!!!! Yey!!!!!!
Here's before and after pics.

Sticky rim 2.jpg

Sticky Rim 3.jpg

Those tiny white bits are just fluff from the towel. I haven't wiped over with iso-propyl alcohol yet.

Do it outside though, I feel a bit sick from the petrol fumes - can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I had done the job in the garage.
Oh, and wear washing up gloves, the vinyl ones are too fragile. I think the petrol affects them.

Now I have to wait for the proper rim strip that Rob and others recommended.

Many thanks everybody for your help, without it I'd probably still be picking away with Sellotape.

I think I will contact Gorilla Tape people and tell them about the petrol and also the AutoGlym tar and adhesive remover (thanks @JMD)

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
48646.jpg

I use this professional cleaner. Removes all glue and oil residue. It's not that cheap though around 28 € I believe for 500 ml

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
View attachment 45658
I use this professional cleaner. Removes all glue and oil residue. It's not that cheap though around 28 € I believe for 500 ml
Thanks for taking the time to post. Have you actually used it on Gorilla Tape adhesive? The reason I ask is that I confidently predicted that my "Sticky Stuff Remover" by De-Solv-It would be successful. They claim that it "Tackles Chewing gum, tar, adhesive, wax, wet paint, sticky tape and label residue, crayon, grease, make-up, grime, shoe polish, scuff marks and sealant". It has never failed me before (except it would not shift dried on pine tree sap from my car - use IPA for that). But it failed dismally on Gorilla Tape adhesive.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Thanks for taking the time to post. Have you actually used it on Gorilla Tape adhesive? The reason I ask is that I confidently predicted that my "Sticky Stuff Remover" by De-Solv-It would be successful. They claim that it "Tackles Chewing gum, tar, adhesive, wax, wet paint, sticky tape and label residue, crayon, grease, make-up, grime, shoe polish, scuff marks and sealant". It has never failed me before (except it would not shift dried on pine tree sap from my car - use IPA for that). But it failed dismally on Gorilla Tape adhesive.
Not on gorilla tape . But we recently used it on tape that was masked on the floor due covid . Been there for months where alot of people walked over , and was unable to get it off with other chemical products. Used this cleaner, needed a couple of minutes to weaken the glue of the tape, and could easily wipe it off

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Peanut butter sandwiches are banned in Australian schools .
Too many kids are highly allergic and can go into anaphylactic shock
Same over here. But only if there is a pupil attending the school who is highly alergic.
Common sense. It's more common than you'd think over here

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA

Vegetable oil/cooking oil works incredibly well on pine sap/pine tar. I was skeptical, but it really does.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland

It's also very good at turning your previously black bumpers,wheel arches etc on your car or van back to black.

EDIT - damn - I was beaten to it I see.....as always.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a growing body of evidence
Yeah. a few years back I had a fling with a hot married conspiracy theorist vegan who was alergic to peanuts but into all sorts of alternative medicine theories. She'd eat peanuts "self medicating" and her throat/mouth would swell up, leaving her in pain and struggling to breath/talk. But she seemed to believe it was curing her alergy.
It was a fun time but I still pity the poor bloke who married her.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yeah. a few years back I had a fling with a hot married conspiracy theorist vegan who was alergic to peanuts but into all sorts of alternative medicine theories. She'd eat peanuts "self medicating" and her throat/mouth would swell up, leaving her in pain and struggling to breath/talk. But she seemed to believe it was curing her alergy.
It was a fun time but I still pity the poor bloke who married her.

I made deep study of the crazy/hot matrix required learning for my 22 year old son...this is powerful wisdom.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles