Zeb fork adding tokens

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
Hi everyone, anyone added the grey tokens that come with the zeb fork? If yes is there a tool that's needed? It looks like I need something but didnt receive anything in the pack apart from 2 grey tokens.
cheers
Mo

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
It's a standard cassette tool for both the air and damper side of RS forks now. Depressurize, remove the air cap and they just thread into the cap. Bit of grease on the O-ring. I'm sticking with none for now.

719H2pTfm1L._AC_SX425_.jpg

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
Cracking thanks for the reply pal. Makes sense thanks. I wasnt sure if the tool was supposed to be in the box with the bike or not.

I'm going to add one, currently feels too plush so worth playing around with.

Thanks again. Mo

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It was 40Nm last time I looked on a Pike fork. But that for me is wayyyyyy too tight, like it is on BB's and hubs. It is not a stress bearing component all it has to do is to keep the air in. But don't do it too loose as the air will escape!

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Oh and be careful with the O ring, easy to snag and damage (from experience ?)

Hang on, have the Zeb manual here....Top caps...24 mm socket or RockShox Top Cap/Cassette Tool (or standard cassette tool)...28 N•m (250 in-lb).

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester

Hang on, have the Zeb manual here....Top caps...24 mm socket or RockShox Top Cap/Cassette Tool (or standard cassette tool)...28 N•m (250 in-lb).
Perfect thank you sir - I'm just logging onto the trailhead.rockshox.com as we speak :) - Thanks for the help.

By the way - really pleased so far with the fork - few tweaks and all should be good - cracking bike.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Yeah loving my 160S so far. Always liked RS. So were there 2 installed in the fork from the factory (in addition to the 2 in the box?) I might go the other way and take one out if so.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
Yeah loving my 160S so far. Always liked RS. So were there 2 installed in the fork from the factory (in addition to the 2 in the box?) I might go the other way and take one out if so.
Wasnt sure myself if the extra for the RS and Fox was going to be worth it - TBH I'm glad I stuck with the S as I'm more than please with the Rockshox - faster colour as well always helps ;)

Yep comes with 2 from factory - I've added one of the spares and going to be doing to comparison next time I'm out.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
I’ve gone with 3, seems a good balance of plush and supportive on the drops.
Good to hear - I'm similar re the drops and also want a bit more support for the faster rocky downhill sections - pity I have to work this week as I might not get a chance to test until next weekend now!! - Need to invest in some decent lights now :)

Markwright1983

Subscriber
Aug 27, 2020
Middlesbrough
I’ve taken one token out and running slightly below the trailhead recommended pressure. Seems that the increased air volume due to wider stanchions seems to really help with pressure ramp up. Regularly using about 90% of travel and not bottomed out (so far).

I’m really liking the Zeb fork but part of me also wants to upgrade to the charger 2.1 damper.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
I’m really liking the Zeb fork but part of me also wants to upgrade to the charger 2.1 damper.
I've not worried about not having any compression adjustment yet - still dialling in the pressure+rebound+volume. Lots of my rides is repeated ruts, bit like tractor-tyre treads and it seems to pack down a bit on those, which I assume is rebound.

Update - today I took a token out, dropped the pressure a bit, now perfect for me ??

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ

So, just a standard 24 mm socket will do it?

My 24 mm cassette tool has a centering rod for the cassette and is useless for my ZEB top cap. Easier to get a socket at my local hardware store than order online for RS top cap tool.

Thanks again for the confirmation.💪

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I am over 100kg and I see zero need for tokens in a Zeb. The ramp up from the large 38 mm fork tubes is much more than 35 or 36 mm fork tubes. Fox knows this, their air spring reduces the diameter of the air spring. Tokens are only needed if you are bottoming out with the correct sag set up. I guess if you are riding in the Red Bull rampage…. They might be needed…

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Those using a standard socket to loosen the top cap on the fork, be cautious! The flats on the top cap are not very big at all, whereas the inside chamfer on the socket is quite large. That chamfer is to clear the radius on steel bolts. What you have left for engagement is really small and the top cap is soft aluminium! The last thing you want to do is to round off the top cap!:eek:

Take great care, press down on the socket to ensure max engagement. But best of all, grind the socket flat and remove the internal chamfer. I borrowed a mate's hand-held grinder and I thought it would take ages. It took less than a minute and I was being really careful. It took longer to rub the socket across a honing stone to smooth out the grinding marks.

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Those using a standard socket to loosen the top cap on the fork, be cautious! The flats on the top cap are not very big at all, whereas the inside chamfer on the socket is quite large. That chamfer is to clear the radius on steel bolts. What you have left for engagement is really small and the top cap is soft aluminium! The last thing you want to do is to rpounjd off the top cap!:eek:

Take great care, press down on the socket to ensure max engagement. But best of all, grind the socket flat and remove the internal chamfer. I borrowed a mate's hand-held grinder and I thought it would take ages. It took less than a minute and I was being really careful. It took longer to rub the socket across a honing stone to smooth out the grinding marks.
So, wiser to go for the RS tool itself? I'm fairly clumsy.
Thinking easier to go to the proprietary tool out of caution.💪

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles