Your E-Bike, what’s it’s lifespan?

Hebegebe

Aug 25, 2020
East Manchester
You’ve shelled out a nice chunk of change on your new bike, what’s your strategy regarding the amount of time you intend to keep it? I presume the thought process will be similar to when you buy a car and can be split into similar groups.

Buy a new model every year.
Keep it 2-3 years and hope to get a decent return.
Keep it until the warranty runs out.
Thrash the living daylights out of it and sell it for peanuts (I definitely fall into this category)

I’m interested to know the forums general consensus?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I'm looking at leasing mine. Here in Germany, you can get it funded through the company like a company car, but at a lower tax rate. There's an option to buy at the end, so for me, it would depend on the value / cost at the end of the contract.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I bought a Stealth in 2009. It's still going strong - with a new battery obviously. Sell it - never and never needed the warranty. It's a monster with pedals. Counterintuitively the pedals extend its capabilities.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Big investment for me. I'm going to keep it till it dies, which should hopefully be a good number of years

Same here - bought a '19 Levo expert, i'll have it for years. Owned the same stump-jumper for around 5yrs before that. I used to fall into chop-and-change must have cultures that you get with hobbies and internet forums.... and to be fair its awesome and loads of fun/obsession driving. I've got more sensible/boring/family eats all my disposable income now.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
For me, it all depends on how quickly technology changes.

I'm on my third Levo. I wanted the walk switch & carbon so changed, then I really wanted the larger battery! My LBS has always offered me a great trade-in price.

My 2019 will be 2yrs old next month. The extended warranty was a complete surprise, I'll probably keep it another two years unless there's an advancement in battery\motor\weight or Enduro version.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ll probably run mine into the ground and fix anything which I’m capable of fixing and that includes taking the motor apart. The Bosch service kit which replaces about half the bearings looks easy enough to do. I’ll learn a lot from the process.
If I can pick up a cheap second hand motor from somewhere to strip down and rebuild I’d definitely enjoy having a go at that.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
keep it as long as it is reliable , after all most new models are just very minor changes over the previous year so why spend out just for a colour scheme?
BUT I will buy new when the gearbox / belt drive Emtbs arrive that will be the quantum jump I need :love:

Tunturi.jpg

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I kept my old ebike until it paid for itself (used for commute instead of driving).
My new one was three times the price of its replacement so Orangutan will be around for a good few years.
A pleasure to ride, I can't me selling.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Coming up to two years now with no thought of *upgrading*. I have upgraded the bike though. Improved suspension, brakes etc. *If* it's possible to put an EP8 on my current bike I don't see myself buying a new bike for years. If not temptation might get the better of me... Really I don't need it though.

Gordon

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
I’ve put 3400 hard dirty miles on my BMC speedfox AMP with shimano E8000 since I got the bike new this past December. Everything is still bone stock cept for typical wear items. I’m already shopping for a 2021 then my BMC can be a backup bike. May buy a 2021 speedfox AMP as I couldn’t be happier with this bike in every way. 130 travel perfect geo it’s a ripper.
A200B8DB-AB0B-46AE-B225-0804C2A61755.jpeg

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
My current one that I bought used: Until I can afford a Flyon Bike or somebody else comes along with > 400W real fast charging.
(assuming my current ebike doesn't break first)

That Flyon (or alternative fast charging bike): Entirely depends on tech advancements. If something tasty enough comes along I might go for it.

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I purchased my e-mtb primarily as a commuter, but capable of being ridden anywhere. At $8700nzd we had to think about it for 7 months-but fortunately it sat in the shop the whole time. The plan is to make it last as many years and ride as many miles as I can. One year in and 6000km so far with no major issues. Love it, wouldn't buy anything else.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I was planning to just keep mine, possibly slowly upgrade over time.

However, I've found my riding to have changed since getting it and would now like a full suspension rather than a hardtail. So.... sell after a year or so, or just have two?

That said, I do want to put the EP8 motor in if I can. I think this wilk get expensive...

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
2 years - I think with the deal I get I can swap out at cost neutral at that point & then get onto something new.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Every 2 years I reckon, whether I sell mine or build a collection of bikes I'll probably not ride after getting the new one - thats another question ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I tend to keep a bike a minimum two years before I start getting an itch for something new. But if I don't see anything that floats my boat, I stick with what I've got. I have never had an emtb before and right now (19 months in) there is nothing I would change my current bike for.

Edit: Except a brand new version of what I've already got.

Last edited:

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
i ride my current ebike until there are new regulations in the EU. Like in Switzerland - they allow SPedelecs on cycleways??. Or - more watts like in the US? The current EU limits 25km/h and 250w continuos are dumb, this are regulations based on technologie in the early 60ths (breaks etc).
Since that, new versions of motors, bms, etc. are cosmetic. sorry for bad english.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have a 2018 Kenevo and I’m not persuaded that any other bike on the market would be an improvement for my riding (new Kenevo, too DH orientated, new Levo, too cross country, SL, not enough powe) BUT, I would like a bigger battery as mine is too often virtually out at end of ride. More importantly, I worry that when the battery is worn out, which could be several years, will I still be able to get another one and will I want to shell out a lot of money for a 500 battery when the standard has grown to 1000? I’m already in my second motor and again will I want to shell out for another motor by which time there might be motors that are half the weight of my own? As for selling second hand, will anyone be interested in buying an ebike with 4, 5 or 6 year old technology?

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
Good question. My Levo SL was introduced as new technology to the world in 2020. I'm thinking 5 years max before it is obsolete. Ebike motors and battery technology is evolving, and will continue to evolve at a fast pace.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles