You learn something new every day!

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Accidentally found out that if you give the change down thumb lever a real good press instead of just clicking it, the bike changes down 3 gears at once ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Accidentally found out that if you give the change down thumb lever a real good press instead of just clicking it, the bike changes down 3 gears at once ?

Yeah I only found that out the other week too ?
Also I found out that the down shift gear works if I flick the lever towards me as well as away from me.

Wonder what other hidden features I will discover next ?

Is there a lever somewhere which turns my hardtail into a full suspension by any chance?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That's the price of progress! :mad:

A few years back there'd have been a whole line of trolls queueing up to tell you to RTFM.

Nowadays there's no FM for you to read! Certainly nothing provided by Focus, that's for sure.

When you buy replacement kit for Shimano or SRAM there'll be a little leaflet in the box telling you to visit the manufacturer's website. A total waste of time because it will just dump you at the front page.

Nowhere does Shimano tell you that you need to go to Manuals & Technical Documents

If you've got SLX shifters, you'll find a UM (User Manual) which tells you a bit about how they work, including which way to press them.

But the more interesting document is always the DM (Dealer Manual). Did you know that there is (probably) a Mode Converter to select whether you want to change 2 or 3 gears at a time?

[Edit: NOTE: this is a front derailleur for a 2x system. I should have read the FM!]

1619520325958.png

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@GrahamPaul That Mode Converter is for front derailleur shifters only. It is for those with a 2x or a 3x set up on their mtb. It is nothing to do with the number of gears you can shift in one go on the cassette with the rear shifter.

IMPORTANT TIP: For those who are still 2x on their mtb, you have to move the Mode Converter to the 3x position to remove the inner gear cable.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
@GrahamPaul That Mode Converter is for front derailleur shifters only. It is for those with a 2x or a 3x set up on their mtb. It is nothing to do with the number of gears you can shift in one go on the cassette with the rear shifter.

IMPORTANT TIP: For those who are still 2x on their mtb, you have to move the Mode Converter to the 3x position to remove the inner gear cable.

The title of the thread is dead right! ?

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Well today I found out that the up shifter will click up two gears if you use your thumb to push it away from you with a heavy push but only one click at a time using your finger to pull it toward you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles