XT cranks on the Rise….

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
I read from the facebook group that the issue is fixed on the newer ones.. my H30 that I picked up last week had the fix.
Previous issue with e13 cranks was that the pinch bolt was right above the spindle hole applying too much pressure causing it to fracture.
New ones are like shimano, where pinch bolt is opposite side of that hole.

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
I read from the facebook group that the issue is fixed on the newer ones.. my H30 that I picked up last week had the fix.
Previous issue with e13 cranks was that the pinch bolt was right above the spindle hole applying too much pressure causing it to fracture.
Cheers, I’m not on FriendFace so I hadn’t seen that. I wonder how Orbea will react to my shop warranty inquiry? The manager was aware of the issue but mine was the first Rise to come back to him regarding this. Fingers crossed it doesn’t take too long, I’m meant to be riding at Easter

Tomroy

Aug 18, 2020
Australia
Pinch bolt on shimano cranks is over the hole as there is a little tab spacer between the split in the crank arm that locates in the hole on the spindle.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
No solution, just remove the dust cover. It’s the only option you have, as it’s not needed with the Shimano crank arms.
Are you talking about the rubber ring that is in the middle of the chain ring.... I left it there when adding the shimani cranks and it fits fine. Am I missing something?

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Just got the correct XT cranks and no issues whatsoever! 🤦🏻‍♂️ I do have a spare set of FC-M8050’s now though so if anyone here would like them at a really good price, let me know before I put them up elsewhere.
I've just bought a cheap set of 8050's from Chain Reaction. Did you establish why they wouldn't fit or see any difference when you had both them and the 8150s in your hands?

Shimano's website seems a bit vague - I can't even find the 8050's on it

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
edited post - so I bought a pair of 8150's as well as the bargain CRC 8050's (as people on here were saying the 8050's can't be fitted to the Ep8).

I've now tried fitting both. You 100% need to use the 8150s. The older 8050 cranks have a longer spline area (and are wider at that point) which would mean they're clamping quite a bit beyond the end of the axle. Strangely the pin will still go down to fit into the hole (so that dimension isn't different)

I'm really suprised to be honest - Shimano have been using the same hollow tech axle interface for many years - really odd that they've changed these and made them incompatible (especially when I'd not heard of any issues with the older motor or cranks)

Our other rise has actually (unknowingly) been running an 8050 on the non drive side for the last two years but it's the drive side with the E13 crank on that's cracked.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles