XT cranks on the Rise….

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
Just bought the XT cranks but the off coming e13’s have that plastic shield thing that looks like it protects the spider ring. It doesn’t go on with the XT’s so has anyone swapped these over and know the solution?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Just bought the XT cranks but the off coming e13’s have that plastic shield thing that looks like it protects the spider ring. It doesn’t go on with the XT’s so has anyone swapped these over and know the solution?
No solution, just remove the dust cover. It’s the only option you have, as it’s not needed with the Shimano crank arms.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
Piggybacking here, but did you install the FC-M8150 cranks, and besides this are they fully compatible with the ep8 on the rise?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Piggybacking here, but did you install the FC-M8150 cranks, and besides this are they fully compatible with the ep8 on the rise?
I have the m8150's on my rise and the em600's on my wife's rise. Both are compatible with the ep8 as they are both shimano cranks. Neither is compatible with the drive side, chainring dust cover.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
I have the m8150's on my rise and the em600's on my wife's rise. Both are compatible with the ep8 as they are both shimano cranks. Neither is compatible with the drive side, chainring dust cover.

Thanks, not so concerned with the dust cover. But I see buzz about the FC8050 variety not being compatible, but the difference between it and the 8150 is not apparent to me. And not sure with the FC-EM900. Is there some spec I should be looking at?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Thanks, not so concerned with the dust cover. But I see buzz about the FC8050 variety not being compatible, but the difference between it and the 8150 is not apparent to me. And not sure with the FC-EM900. Is there some spec I should be looking at?

From the research I've done, the following cranks are compatible with the ep8: EM600, FC-8150 and FC-EM900. Shimano, does not list a crank that is compatible with both the e8000 and ep8. In contrast, e13 states that their crank is compatible with both and it comes down to the dust seal/spacer that goes between the crank arm and the spindle/housing of the motor.

My hunch, is that this speaks to a difference in taper of the splined drive spindle between the e8000 and ep8 and it stands to reason, that is part of the e13 cranks falling off issue as well.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
From the research I've done, the following cranks are compatible with the ep8: EM600, FC-8150 and FC-EM900. Shimano, does not list a crank that is compatible with both the e8000 and ep8. In contrast, e13 states that their crank is compatible with both and it comes down to the dust seal/spacer that goes between the crank arm and the spindle/housing of the motor.

My hunch, is that this speaks to a difference in taper of the splined drive spindle between the e8000 and ep8 and it stands to reason, that is part of the e13 cranks falling off issue as well.

Good info, thanks. It appears the 8150 is not in stock anywhere in the USA right now, so I guess I will have to use the e13s and keep an eye on them.

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
I did yes. They only issue I can see is that the crank arm fixing bolts aren’t really long enough. The drive side has gone on ok but the left side bolt threaded (it’s plastic) and was unusable. I had a Burgtec bolt and that just about catches but I’ve also ordered a pair off Amazon that look a little longer so hopefully, this will resolve that issue. I haven’t been out on a ride yet so can’t say if they are trouble free yet. I’m hopefully going to get to bike park wales Thursday so I’ll let you know.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
I did yes. They only issue I can see is that the crank arm fixing bolts aren’t really long enough. The drive side has gone on ok but the left side bolt threaded (it’s plastic) and was unusable. I had a Burgtec bolt and that just about catches but I’ve also ordered a pair off Amazon that look a little longer so hopefully, this will resolve that issue. I haven’t been out on a ride yet so can’t say if they are trouble free yet. I’m hopefully going to get to bike park wales Thursday so I’ll let you know.

that is not how my m8150's fit. Are you talking about the plastic shimano hollowtech end cap? On both the fc-m8150's that are on my rise, and the em600's that are on my wife's rise, they simply just threaded on like all normal hollowtech cranks do. Did you by chance not swing out the plastic hollowtech locater shim that's in between the pinch bolts on the crank arm? That would not allow the crank to slip onto the spindle far enough if you did that.

cr274z00----------shim.jpg

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
that is not how my m8150's fit. Are you talking about the plastic shimano hollowtech end cap? On both the fc-m8150's that are on my rise, and the em600's that are on my wife's rise, they simply just threaded on like all normal hollowtech cranks do. Did you by chance not swing out the plastic hollowtech locater shim that's in between the pinch bolts on the crank arm? That would not allow the crank to slip onto the spindle far enough if you did that.

cr274z00----------shim.jpg
That’s the part I’m talking about yes. I’m not sure what you mean about the shim? What shim? I really appreciate your help on this as it’s blown my mind a little 😂

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
check out page 37 - 38 of this link. https://manualzz.com/doc/53930707/shimano-tl-ew300-dealer-s-manual#p38

I feel like it something fishy is going on here, but I can't put my finger on what it could be. That plastic thread in cap should be a standard size for all of these cranks as the inside of the spindle is threaded. Shimano makes these pieces and the installation tool, plastic so that they can ensure you're setting the right pre-load when installing the crank arms. It's more or less, hand tight as it's a friction/taper fit for the crank arm on the spindle and the splines.

I would be concerned that if you need a longer thread in hollowtech end cap, that your crank arm isn't located properly on the spindle. Are you certain that you have fc-m8150's and not fc-e8000s? I could see the fc-e8000's not installing properly on the ep8 and maybe requiring a longer hollowtech end cap.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021
Wales
check out page 37 - 38 of this link. https://manualzz.com/doc/53930707/shimano-tl-ew300-dealer-s-manual#p38

I feel like it something fishy is going on here, but I can't put my finger on what it could be. That plastic thread in cap should be a standard size for all of these cranks as the inside of the spindle is threaded. Shimano makes these pieces and the installation tool, plastic so that they can ensure you're setting the right pre-load when installing the crank arms. It's more or less, hand tight as it's a friction/taper fit for the crank arm on the spindle and the splines.

I would be concerned that if you need a longer thread in hollowtech end cap, that your crank arm isn't located properly on the spindle. Are you certain that you have fc-m8150's and not fc-e8000s? I could see the fc-e8000's not installing properly on the ep8 and maybe requiring a longer hollowtech end cap.

B0A80334-1CB9-490B-BB7C-DB9312859DF0.png

These are the cranks I bought

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Those are not the correct crank arms for the ep8. You need FC-M8150's. Those are the crank arms for the e8000 motors. I would recommend not riding the bike until you get the right crank arms on there because a spindle failure will be extremely costly and potentially you're issue now.

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
Those are not the correct crank arms for the ep8. You need FC-M8150's. Those are the crank arms for the e8000 motors. I would recommend not riding the bike until you get the right crank arms on there because a spindle failure will be extremely costly and potentially you're issue now.
🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
Click on crank arms.
Are Hope doing compatible crank arms for the ep8 yet?

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Good info, thanks. It appears the 8150 is not in stock anywhere in the USA right now, so I guess I will have to use the e13s and keep an eye on them.
I ordered my 8150's from ridewill-shop-it on eBay. I believe they came from Spain. I placed the order on 3/11 and just paid for regular shipping and received them today, 3/15. Usually if I order something from outside the US it comes by DHL and sits at customs for a week. These were delivered by FedEx. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly they got here. I put them on, minus the dust cover rubber grommet part and had a great ride.

benzy

Dec 1, 2021
California
I ordered my 8150's from ridewill-shop-it on eBay. I believe they came from Spain. I placed the order on 3/11 and just paid for regular shipping and received them today, 3/15. Usually if I order something from outside the US it comes by DHL and sits at customs for a week. These were delivered by FedEx. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly they got here. I put them on, minus the dust cover rubber grommet part and had a great ride.

Nice. Honestly with Orbea delaying the H15 i have on reserved every week I apparently have some breathing room. Also ordered relatively common saddle that of course is only available from EU sellers as well. Weird market we’re in. Miss the days of hopping on Jensen or Universal and having stuff by the weekend ;).

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Nice. Honestly with Orbea delaying the H15 i have on reserved every week I apparently have some breathing room. Also ordered relatively common saddle that of course is only available from EU sellers as well. Weird market we’re in. Miss the days of hopping on Jensen or Universal and having stuff by the weekend ;).
I'm with you. Especially trying to buy Shimano stuff from a UK store, I now get a message saying they are unable to ship Shimano stuff to the US. Crazy indeed... I thought trying to find a bottle of Blanton's at retail was hard. Ha...

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
How are the EM600 cranks compared to M8150? If one is not a weight weenie, would the EM600 be a good purchase?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
How are the EM600 cranks compared to M8150? If one is not a weight weenie, would the EM600 be a good purchase?

I'd say they are comparable to the E13 aluminum cranks that come on the M/H series bikes in terms of design. They are not the 2 piece hollow forged and bonded style arms that the XT utilize. I did not weigh them, but just holding them in my hand I'd say they are more or less the same weight in practical terms and likely 100 - 150g heavier. The finish on them is nice and I do actually like the indentations on them from an aesthetic perspective.

Overall, I would consider them an equal to the E13 product in terms of weight and groupset quality/intention. However, the shimano cranks are obviously significantly better made, seem to have a better overall finish quality and appearance. I would run them interchangeably on my bike without thinking twice of it. I've never been a crank snob and only on a few occasions have I been able to tell the difference in stiffness of one crank to another, never noticed a weight difference that's for sure. That being said, I have bent 3 crank arms in my life and broken 2 carbon crank arms in my 20 years of doing dumb shite on bikes.

XT's on my m20
0WRYNsx.jpg

Em600's on my wife's m20
o0g7cNu.jpg

Jul 30, 2021
Wales
Just got the correct XT cranks and no issues whatsoever! 🤦🏻‍♂️ I do have a spare set of FC-M8050’s now though so if anyone here would like them at a really good price, let me know before I put them up elsewhere.

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
Are you guys aware of the issue with ep8 axles cracking? Stick with Shimano if you are replacing the e13 cranks. Shimano are apparently blaming the issue on 3rd party cranks (e13 in this case) and say that only Shimano cranks are compatible with the ep8 motor. Sounds like bollocks as surely they should have stipulated that when the likes of Orbea and Commencal came to them looking for motors to build their e bikes around. Left my bike at the shop today so they can assess the tiny hairline cracks on my motor spindle 😑

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles