• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Would a Shimano chain be better?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My bike came with an 11 speed Shimano SLX 7000 cassette and a KMC chain.

would a Shimano chain shift more smoothly as presumably the chain and cassette would be both designed to use hyperglide? Or would the KMC chain be just as smooth?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have seen many riders on this and other forums recommending KMC chains, but so far I have never been motivated to try them out.

I used to believe that chains were generic items; who cares what chain, just get the cheapest! I soon discovered that the cheapest chains would rust if left overnight after a wet ride, so I stopped buying them! :eek:

When I was on 9 or 10-speed, I mostly got SLX type chains and a similar standard from SRAM, but I never bothered being matchy-matchy. I got what looked like the best deal (just not the rusty ones!). I never noticed any shifting problems.

The one and only time I tried a chain brand that was neither Shimano nor SRAM was when a Wipperman Connex was recommended by my LBS. It was crap, constantly coming off or sucking up into the granny ring (I was on a 3x9 at the time).

But then 11 and 12-speed chains came out, designed for 1x drives. SRAM claimed that their 12-speed chain was re-designed from the ground up, and it certainly looked like it. I am unaware of any claims that 11-speed chains were designed differently in the way that 12-speed chains were.
I have never worn out a SRAM 12-speed chain before I sold the bikes, so I never had a buying decision to make. Ditto my first 11-speed bike. My first emtb has Shimano 11-speed and the chain is also Shimano (type unknown). I still have that chain at 0.4% changed with the SLX cassette and I'm waiting for the Sram PC-1130 to wear to a certain point before they get swapped over. I only bought the PC-1130 because at the time it was the only chain I could find that was long enough. It seems to be running perfectly well.

So in answer to your question. I cannot recommend a KMC chain because I have no experience of running one. But the bike maker has no problem with that combination, and you have your experience as well, which should a good guide.
On an 11-speed drive, I can see no reason why you should limit yourself to Shimano either; why not try a SRAM chain if you can't get a Shimano chain?

On a 12-speed, I'd stick to the same brand as the gears.

Sparky DH

May 10, 2021
NH, USA
Depends on the setup I suppose...when I rode trials, KMC K710 or K810 was the only thing we used. There was so much torque than any other discipline I know other than maybe fixies but even then, we put our whole weight on the chains as we had the brakes on & hoped it never snapped.

On my 10-speed steel Shimano cassette, I'm planning to run KMC's also.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
My bikes also came with KMC chains. When replacing them I put on a HG chain. I do notice a small improvement in shifting but mostly less noise. I find the KMC chains make a clunky sound when shifting whereas the HG chains are quieter. And yes, they're set up properly.

Gordon

Bertvp

Apr 29, 2020
Belgium
You should try a KMC chain.
The previous KMC e-bike specific chain (11 speed) in combination with a XT cassette and FSA chainring lasted 4300km on my Bulls E-Stream 2017.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I haven't noticed a meaningful difference on 11-speed chains between Shimano and KMC. On 12-speed Shimano cassettes, the Shimano chain shifts better under load than the equivalent KMC chain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles