Winter glove recommendations please.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I've found Sealskins dragon eye (now known as "Waterproof All Weather Glove") to be very good & fit your requirments. Though I've never had a truely waterproof glove ever, unless you go down the neoprene glove route, which I find make my hand sweaty and manky.

PS: I use those in winter conditions, but in properly cold winter conditions I have an old set of Sealskin Waterproof Cold Weather Reflective Cycle Glove, which are excellent but make my hands sweat in anything above 0 degrees C

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For DH.
None. For me gloves ruin feel/control

Tip: Keeping your fingers active keeps the blood moving meaning they don't get so cold quite so quickly.
I do occasionally wear gloves for climbs. Just a thin pair though and as soon as the riding gets interesting they're back in my pocket.
Commuting is the only time I'll really wear gloves for a whole ride.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
I've found Sealskins dragon eye (now known as "Waterproof All Weather Glove") to be very good & fit your requirments. Though I've never had a truely waterproof glove ever, unless you go down the neoprene glove route, which I find make my hand sweaty and manky.

PS: I use those in winter conditions, but in properly cold winter conditions I have an old set of Sealskin Waterproof Cold Weather Reflective Cycle Glove, which are excellent but make my hands sweat in anything above 0 degrees C
I was looking at the dragon eyes, but no lbs has them in stock :(. I need to try them on really, having sausage hands :rolleyes: & I can never be arsed to send things back when I buy online hahaha.

Pug907

Feb 13, 2019
portsmouth
For DH.
None. For me gloves ruin feel/control

Tip: Keeping your fingers active keeps the blood moving meaning they don't get so cold quite so quickly.
I struggle to walk & chew at the same time, let alone moving my fingers while I’m concentrating hahahaha. Gloves for me are more for protection to be honest, not good enough a rider to affect my control, but I’ll try your tip next week, cheers.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I was looking at the dragon eyes, but no lbs has them in stock :(. I need to try them on really, having sausage hands :rolleyes: & I can never be arsed to send things back when I buy online hahaha.
Go outdoors have them listed, if you anywhere near an outlet.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
I've been using the Endura Dexter for the last few winter seasons. They are windproof but not waterproof. Also quite thin so the feel is pretty good. I think since getting an emtb I've been more willing to go out in colder conditions and they have been showing they are not quite up to the the job. I decided to go for some 100% Brisker Hydromatics to try out. They are here but I've yet to ride with them. The Hydromatics are defo a touch chunkier so should be warmer, but maybe at the expense of feel. I'll reserve full judgement until I've had a few rides.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the Endura Dexter, been using them for years. Yes they are windproof and warm, and I only use them in the cooler months. When it gets to the wet season, I treat them with pretty much any waterproofing compound that I happen to be using for my other clothing. They are not proof against really wet weather, but they stay drier for longer.

I have yet to find a waterproof glove that doesn't make my hands sweat so much that I get as wet on the inside as I would be if the gloves weren't waterproof!
My search for the perfect waterproof glove continues. :unsure:

I have a pair of the Dragon Eye gloves mentioned earlier. Yes they do what it says on the tin, and they are better than most waterproof gloves I have tried. But they are not breathable enough, not by a long way! Also too thick. Why do waterproof glove designers assume that we also need high levels of insulation! Doesn't it rain in Spring and Autumn?

When the forecast is wet, I take a spare pair of gloves. Half way through the ride, the luxury of changing out of a pair of wet gloves to a warm pair of dry gloves is not to be underestimated! Bliss! :love:

Consequently, the Endura Dexter remains my go-to winter glove unless it is really cold (in which case the Dragon Eye). I'm in the UK here, so really cold means below -5degC.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use neoprene windsurfing gloves....they are pre bent and provide good grip. Windproof and waterproof....I tried e different pairs for windsurfing but only the palmless mitt design works on a board because full gloves cause forearm cramp....so use them on the bike instead and they work well. Cheaper than branded bike gloves.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I use neoprene windsurfing gloves....they are pre bent and provide good grip. Windproof and waterproof....I tried e different pairs for windsurfing but only the palmless mitt design works on a board because full gloves cause forearm cramp....so use them on the bike instead and they work well. Cheaper than branded bike gloves.
These sound like a good option,
Any photos or links available?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
These sound like a good option,
Any photos or links available?

Screenshot_20191118-165333.png

Screenshot_20191118-165237.png

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sizing is not critical but it depends how tight you like the fit....most are very stretchy. I prefer a slightly loose fit because too tight a fit can lead to cold holds. The brand I use is C Skins and I use XL. My hands are 21cm around the widest part of my palm ...or 9cm if you just measure across the palm. Hope that helps

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Sizing is not critical but it depends how tight you like the fit....most are very stretchy. I prefer a slightly loose fit because too tight a fit can lead to cold holds. The brand I use is C Skins and I use XL. My hands are 21cm around the widest part of my palm ...or 9cm if you just measure across the palm. Hope that helps
Thanks for the info, ahh so C Skins and not O'Neills as per the posted pics above.
2mm or 3mm?

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks for the info, ahh so C Skins and not O'Neills as per the posted pics above.
2mm or 3mm?
I just highlighted one pair of gloves on one windsurf site. There is a lot of choice...just do a search to find more. I use C skins because all my wetsuits are also C Skins and I rate their quality and they are a British company testing their products in British weather/seas ( invariably cold!)

JCB

Oct 7, 2019
Burnie, Tasmania
I've been using the Endura Dexter for the last few winter seasons. They are windproof but not waterproof. Also quite thin so the feel is pretty good. I think since getting an emtb I've been more willing to go out in colder conditions and they have been showing they are not quite up to the the job. I decided to go for some 100% Brisker Hydromatics to try out. They are here but I've yet to ride with them. The Hydromatics are defo a touch chunkier so should be warmer, but maybe at the expense of feel. I'll reserve full judgement until I've had a few rides.
I am interested in the new Hydromatic Brisker. A quick review would be great

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Well its lucky I took a quick spin tonight then :)

Only a handful of miles on pretty tame trails so far. They are a little warmer compared to the Dexter but not by masses. Dexterity-wise the thickness on the palm is the same if not thinner than the Endura which does have small gel pads in select locations on it's palm area. They may also need wearing in for longer but as a size large I found them not as tight around the fingers. Also a touch bulkier with material between the fingers. I like the design, the lack of velcro strapped cuffs is nice, one less thing to worry about, the cuffs themselves are longer by an inch or so, so still tuck into clothing nicely to create a decent seal between the two.

There is a design on the inside of the index and middle finger I thought was to aid phone use but I can only seem to operate my phone with the leather on the end of the thumb, so just basic gestures unless you take them off. Its about 4C out there tonight, at a constant 15mph windchill is still notable, waterproofing yet to be tested. I'll agree with some of the above posters that latex gloves under your main gloves will also help in real cold conditions and I think I will try that when we have properly frozen conditions. Also agree with a second set to swap mid ride (y)

I won't fully retire the Endura's and will instead have 3 sets of gloves in my rotation to use depending on conditions. Hydromatics will be on the coolest, wettest end of that ;)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.......... Dexterity-wise the thickness on the palm is the same if not thinner than the Endura which does have small gel pads in select locations on it's palm area. .......................

The first thing I do with new Dexters is to cut the stitching around one end of the gel bar at the base of the fingers and pull out the gel bar. It comes out really easily. :)

I leave the two big ones on the base of the palm because they protect my palm when I fall off.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A few tips from windsurfing in cold waters and with cold wind chill...and obviously wet. You cannot afford numb hands or it is end of game! The only gloves I wear are palmless mitts because any glove between palm and boom subconsciously makes you grip the boom harder and that causes forearm cramp. I only wear them with the thumb in, the finger part just lies on top of my fingers on the boom which helps with wind chill, but I can put my fingers into the mitt part when I want using my teeth to pull that part over. This may sound a bit radical, but, allowing your hands to get really cold...to the point of pain..then stopping to warm them mostly by swinging your arms so the blood is forced back into them stops them getting cold again ( in my case as long as they are not submerged in water for too long! The gloves have a good wrist section and it is amazing how much that helps to keep your hands warm...maybe to do with the closeness of blood vessels in the wrists?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
i've got Castelli Estremo GORE WINDSTOPPER Jersey Cycling Gloves for really cold rides, but i don't like them as the palm padding is too thick.

the 100% brisker is my go to glove for chilly days.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the Briskers, they are very good, but do get too warm if the conditions are not super cold or wet IMO. I tend to only use them if its pissing down with rain. They are also a little bit bulkier than I usually like, but that's the trade off for the waterproofing.

My go to glove for winter riding is the Fox Attack Fire glove, keep your hands warm, without loss of feel or flexibility, and are good at keeping out water in all but the worst conditions.

Attack Fire Glove | Fox Racing - UK

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles