Wild fs - going from 625wh battery to 500wh

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So, I have a wild fs Mteam that came with the 625wh battery, which most of the time is gives plenty of range, but occasionally on those really big days isn't quite enough.

I know you can get the range extender kit, but that just seems complex(and a bit ugly). I also do some quite short rides after work where I come nowhere near to using a full 625wh.

So I though I'd get a power tube 500wh battery for day to day use, and then on those really big days I can carry the other 625wh battery in the backpack and swap over.

The 500wh battery is about 800g lighter than the 625wh, but is also shorter than the 625wh. So you can either move the mounts which requires tools and is not really something you want to do trailside, or you can buy a spacer to fit to the 500wh battery to make it the same size as the 625wh, so that it just slots into the space.

Anyway so now I have enough battery capacity for enormous days and on those smaller days I have a lighter bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I like the idea. And a 500wh pack would probably be attractively priced compared to a 625 these days. Personally I would carry the 500 as a backup to get me home. Cheers for the link, the price of the Haibike 500Wh add-on pack with necessary leads for their 'Modular Rail System' is astronomical, despite I guess being easy in that its mounted to the frame.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Hmm...just had a look at the link and the battery connections are nothing like my 625 pack..will have to delve further

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
To fit the spacer to the 500wh power tube battery, you first unscrew the two small torx screws that hold the plastic latch mechanism on the end ( opposite end to the electrical connections) of the 500wh battery, then remove the plastic latch. Then place the spacer on the end of the battery where the latch was, and fix it into place with the 4 supplied Allen screws, then finally fix the latch back into place on the end of the spacer with the 2 torx screw. It all takes about 10 minutes, then you have a 500wh battery that is the same length as the 625wh and is interchangeable.

The electrical connections are identical on th 625 and 500 power tube batteries, but you do need to ensure you get the same type, horizontal or vertical. If your bike has a horizontal 625 battery then get a horizontal 500wh - the spacer will fit either type.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles