Wiggle...where next ?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I've bought a lot from Wiggle and CRC in the past..the go to really inc the 12%, and they sent Haribos that my wife liked.

Anyone got a go to alternative, in the UK ?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Merlin are getting on my entitled thrupenny's at the minute. They've been flogging these for £450 & over the weekend ratcheted them up to £700 & slapped a price drop sticker on them & a bronze medal, whatever that means. 😐 Oh well, you snooze, you lose.

Untitled.png

Al-ec

Subscriber
Mar 4, 2024
West Wales
Tredz have also proved to be reliable for me over the years and communicate well if there's any delay etc. Similarly always had good experiences with Merlin.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Winstanleys, swinnerton, team cycles, tweeks, bike tart, Merlin, tredz.

The market is a lot more competitive since CRC/wiggle went shit a few years ago

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I've bought a lot from Wiggle and CRC in the past..the go to really inc the 12%, and they sent Haribos that my wife liked.

Anyone got a go to alternative, in the UK ?
Personally my go-to's are, Tredz, they price match, Tweeks, RM Cycles, Biketart, and on my doorstep, Wheelbase, good for servicing and small stuff, way too expensive for the good stuff, neatly forgot, Sprocket Cycles, fabulous service and great inventory, and a Crestline and Unno dealer if they flick your switch.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I usually go for cheapest now so it may be Tredz , James. Leasure lakes all been ok seat from Merlin a month ago they must be one of the originals used them for 30 years at least.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I usually go for cheapest now so it may be Tredz , James. Leasure lakes all been ok seat from Merlin a month ago they must be one of the originals used them for 30 years at least.
I used to use Merlin, built up loyalty to become a Gold customer meaning you receive discounts providing you purchase throughout a 12 month period, come Covid things were hard to get hold of,tried to purchase multiple things from them, no stock, so because of their no stock situation and my not purchasing, no stock, within their specified 12 month period they took away my Gold customer privilege, 10 years of shopping with them and because they couldn't get stock I wanted to purchase they threw my loyalty in the bin, when I remonstrated with them they could not have given a f*ck less, they didn't care, I'm pleased to say that they no longer receive a penny from myself and the 16 people in our riding group.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I used to use Merlin, built up loyalty to become a Gold customer meaning you receive discounts providing you purchase throughout a 12 month period, come Covid things were hard to get hold of,tried to purchase multiple things from them, no stock, so because of their no stock situation and my not purchasing, no stock, within their specified 12 month period they took away my Gold customer privilege, 10 years of shopping with them and because they couldn't get stock I wanted to purchase they threw my loyalty in the bin, when I remonstrated with them they could not have given a f*ck less, they didn't care, I'm pleased to say that they no longer receive a penny from myself and the 16 people in our riding group.
I don't use anyone regularly. CRC was cheap 20 years ago but not anymore. Usual the stuff you need all the time like bake pads chains etc is not discounted enough I think. Back in the day u could buy 10 mtrs of chain cut it to whatever length you needed. Best one was turn your chainring round the other way and get another couple years out of it.
Regards
Greedy Col.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Gold/ Silver/ Whatever membership only gives you a discount off full RRP which is basically nothing on Merlin anyway as everything is discounted.

The terms are fairly straight forward, buy something or loose your benefits. You didn't buy anything and therefore lost your benefits.

Are you a seriously blaming Merlin for the stock shortages that followed a global pandemic?

If the 'gold' status meant that much to you, you could have bought anything to preserve it. You didn't, so suck it up. I'll put money on the fact that your riding group have still been using them. You're telling me that 16 people have vetoed one of the biggest discount retailers just because they took away your 'gold membership'? 😂

Personally, I went off Merlin after tussling with them over a warranty claim over which I considered their approach and attitude to be unsatisfactory. I still use them but I'm slightly more wary and would have to seriously consider the worth of buying high value items through them.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
I'll be honest Sports Direct have been spot on for me for a good while .
Pirelli scorpion tyres half the price of anywhere else .

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Wanted an air spring, about £60 in the UK, looked at a couple of German box shifters. R2 want £25 but slap a £160 minimum order value, so £25 part & £135 shipping gets added on if you go ahead. That's new on me & in effect boots out UK buyers by sending you over the £135 import duty limit. Cheers Brexit.

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Wonder what their Internet site is like . Just muddy fox stuff they sell in the one near me.
There's a plan I believe to open profitable shops under the Evans name inside sports direct stores .
There's already one in Belfast just down from the old CRC store .
From all accounts they'll be selling Vitus and Nukeproof very soon along with muddyfox 😜.
They're only might surprise you .

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Like others I use Merlin for their specials, usually quite competitive on run out forks etc.

I’ve used Certini quite a bit the last couple of years too, always been good service and whilst not the cheapest, nor were Wiggle/CRC for some stuff.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles