Whyte E150 RS Pivot Bearings Replaced.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
After a recent ride finishing with a punishing decent down Walna Scar Road (above Coniston in the Lake Distict ) the main pivot bearings on the lower chain stays to the main frame were well past their best. Another 28 miles of trails in the Tweed Valley last weekend they were knackered.
They were last replaced by the supplying bike shop under the Whyte lifetime bearing replacement scheme and paid £40 labour, when I enquired about labour charge to replace the 10 pivot bearings it was going to be £100. Added to fact there was a 10 day lead time I decided to do the job myself, buying the bearings, a blind bearing remover and a tube of anti fret paste.
I have all the tools, cleaning materials and lubes from a past life which made things easier. On inspection 5 bearings were seized solid
The job was pretty straight forward, I just took my time, made sure everything was clean before reassembling. There was a couple of things I would do differently next time but hey ho that’s experience for you.
I also replaced the chainring, rear cassette, jockey wheels and chain so the jobs a good un’
My background is in nuts and bolts so the bearing change wasn’t a problem.
What I will say is the £100 labour charge from the shop was GOOD VALUE for the work involved, so what at first seemed expensive, wasn’t.

IMG_5565.jpeg IMG_5566.jpeg

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Just looking at that picture of your bike scares me. I don’t have any facilities or tools to do stuff on my bike so rely on bike shops. Fair play to you for doing it. How old is your bike as it looks the same as mine and now I am wondering if my bearings are going to need doing. 👍

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Just looking at that picture of your bike scares me. I don’t have any facilities or tools to do stuff on my bike so rely on bike shops. Fair play to you for doing it. How old is its your bike as it looks the same as mine and now I am wondering if my bearings are going to need doing. 👍
It’s just 3 year old, and it’s been ridden hard mind, but well maintained.
The rear triangle was wafting all over the place and the bike felt unstable.
Mikey I love this bike and I haven’t seen a bike that makes me think “I’ll have that” I’ll just keep it well maintained and it should last me ages 🤞🤞

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
It's all just nuts & bolts hammered together 😜

up to my neck sorting out an unloved Trek right now & its seized freehub, loving my blind puller,

ckHp3Jjo.jpg
GAlR-bod.jpg

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
It’s just 3 year old, and it’s been ridden hard mind, but well maintained.
The rear triangle was wafting all over the place and the bike felt unstable.
Mikey I love this bike and I haven’t seen a bike that makes me think “I’ll have that” I’ll just keep it well maintained and it should last me ages 🤞🤞
Same age as mine then, mines done just under 1500 miles. But no play in bearings that I have noticed. 👍

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
sucks that people gotta buy the bearings or pay a shop labour costs.
Whyte should know when your bike is that old your bearings will be shot and your not pulling a fast one.

apparently some bike companies don't let you work on your own bike anymore or the warranty is void.. I guess CYtech have been lobbying companies and expect home users to spend a grand or whatever on their crappy courses

IDK if whyte is one of t hem though.
I'd take any company straight to a small claims court that tried that on me, you can work on a whole bunch of your house electrics as a "competent person" without any formal qualifications, yet we can't do simple mechanics on a bike?

Makes me laugh when I read peoples comments about their local mechanic having to do another CYtech course before they are allowed to bolt a bosch motor to a frame and plug in a few wires.

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I bought my bike from Team Cycles on the Team valley Gateshead in 2020 when my Whyte was in very short supply and it’s easy to get to and no city centre parking issues. I’ve had mixed service experiences in the past but what I will say in their defence is they, alongside Whyte replaced the motor 3 months out of warranty again I had to pay £50 fitting charge which I was more than happy with. I agree with you about Cytec quals but I think a lot of people wouldn’t go near attempting to fix their own very expensive bike and have to rely on their local LBS so having “accredited qualified technicians “ so as give an air of confidence when they have shell out a lot of money to maintain their bikes
they have people who know what they are doing…….allegedly.
Totally agree with you on the point of Manf not wanting owners to carry out their own maintenance and repairs and the warranty then being void if they do, smacks of protectionism. Imagine trying to sell a car that way 😳

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I’d be more than happy to pay someone £100 to avoid doing that job myself!
I think that's a prevailing view. Whenever someone posts a workshop topic, it's like a moth to a flame for me, I fix my mates bikes for free just for the love of spannering. They think I'm weird for doing it, so I guess I must be. There's a deep satisfaction in making something broken work again for me.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
I’d be more than happy to pay someone £100 to avoid doing that job myself!
I mentioned in my post that I thought £100 was good value for the work done to replace the 10 bearings.
As @RustyMTB I like mechanicing and spannering and I like to be able to help mates out now and again either with a fix or out on the trail……..I’m wierd as well 😆😆

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
In the case of Whyte ..there is a lifetime warranty on the bearings ..
yea if you go through an LBS and pay labour charges
try getting some if you don't have a Whyte authorised repair shop in your area, even if you can fit them yourself and have the bearing press they wont want to send them

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
On a bit of a rant here, this sort of thing pisses me off, ever since I got the bike back from the shop after the motor was replaced, the non drive cover on the motor has never fit correctly. I checked the mounting screws and all seemed well.. When I removed the crank arm it has worn a small groove on the crank where it’s caught on the cover after every pedal rotation. I removed the cover and found the bottom cover retaining bolt cross threaded so not securing the cover properly. Cleaned the threads of the bolt with a fine needle file ran a tap through the threaded retaining plate……:sorted.
This lack of attention to detail is the main reason I work on the bike myself. No doubt a qualified CYtec Technician had ticked off his work sheet as checked and passed and ready for payment.
AND now that it’s seating ok I’ve got to buy a new cover because every time I get the bike out I look at the cover and think typical 😆😆😆😆😆

I’ve no reason to doubt the quality of a Cytec qualification and training but it’s the same everywhere, it’s the person doing the work and their attitude and pride in their work that comes into question

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Lifetime bearing warranties are illusory. They're a decent bit of halo marketing but in reality cost pennies for the manufacturers & in any event will definitely be in the purchase price. Good look though.

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
In the case of Whyte ..there is a lifetime warranty on the bearings ..
Pardon my ignorance with bearings, but does the warranty cover defects only or does it also provide for service/replacement at certain intervals, therefore leaving me only to pay LBS labour?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm pretty certain it's only when they are " shot" ..
Having said that my not so local bike shop where I purchased the bike did a complete swap out while it was there for a motor replacement ( warranty) at the end of last year ..I hadn't asked / noticed that there was too much wrong so was pleased thar they had given the bike a good check -up ..

deano2107

Nov 23, 2021
Wendover
After a recent ride finishing with a punishing decent down Walna Scar Road (above Coniston in the Lake Distict ) the main pivot bearings on the lower chain stays to the main frame were well past their best. Another 28 miles of trails in the Tweed Valley last weekend they were knackered.
They were last replaced by the supplying bike shop under the Whyte lifetime bearing replacement scheme and paid £40 labour, when I enquired about labour charge to replace the 10 pivot bearings it was going to be £100. Added to fact there was a 10 day lead time I decided to do the job myself, buying the bearings, a blind bearing remover and a tube of anti fret paste.
I have all the tools, cleaning materials and lubes from a past life which made things easier. On inspection 5 bearings were seized solid
The job was pretty straight forward, I just took my time, made sure everything was clean before reassembling. There was a couple of things I would do differently next time but hey ho that’s experience for you.
I also replaced the chainring, rear cassette, jockey wheels and chain so the jobs a good un’
My background is in nuts and bolts so the bearing change wasn’t a problem.
What I will say is the £100 labour charge from the shop was GOOD VALUE for the work involved, so what at first seemed expensive, wasn’t.

View attachment 117107 View attachment 117110
Great job! where did you source the replacement bearings?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles