Why no gear indicator?

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Why don't Shimano have a gear readout on their displays? The software knows speed and cadance so it's an easy calcultion and would be useful when approaching obstacles, junctions, knarly bits etc. Nothing worse than being in too high or low gear and struggling to get the right one when it's too late.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Don’t you get a feel for the right speed to be approaching an obstacle etc by how hard or easy it is to pedal?

I’m not sure how a gear indicator would help me to be honest, even from when my Raleigh chopper had a display to tell me which of the 3 gears I was in!

It either ‘feels’ right for what I’m about to ride over/up/around or through and if it doesn’t I change gear.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Don’t you get a feel for the right speed to be approaching an obstacle etc by how hard or easy it is to pedal?
Often that is the casei, but if the approach is slightly downhill and coasting, or slower/faster because of the trail just before it's easy to be wrong on unfamiliar stuff. Seems such a simple and useful thing to have displayed for free rather than cadence (who cares), speed (irrelevant) or elapsed time (pointless).

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I was thinking this today actually. Had to do some road riding and kept hitting the limiter in turbo. Then I realised if I dropped into eco, by the time I hit the limiter, I was in a lower gear and able to push past the limiter and work the gears up to about 25mph. As I was pissing around trying to figure out the best way get up to speed I thought an indicator would be handy.

Also, the kiox suggests when to shift, why can’t it tell my Axs instead of me?

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Why don't Shimano have a gear readout on their displays? The software knows speed and cadance so it's an easy calcultion and would be useful when approaching obstacles, junctions, knarly bits etc. Nothing worse than being in too high or low gear and struggling to get the right one when it's too late.
Probably because it's not really needed. You just go by feel, that how bikes have worked for decades. How do you even know that say 5th gear, is even the right gear? You just pedal, and you feel the resistance and shift accordingly. I've never felt the need for an indicator.
If you really need it just get the new Shimano auto shift system.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
It's available on Shimano shifters. I don't need it on my E-Bike, but on my mountain bike I like to keep track when riding with my wife. It allows me to consistently set a nice pace based on her needs. As she just turned 70, (I'm 71) that is handy . By setting a good sustainable HR pace for her, it improves her chances for success and reduces the need for her to rest as much. My fitness level is higher than hers, so having the data on which gears I'm in and keeping an appropriate cadence helps control her heart rate. Having said that, I'm using AXS, so I just look down at my cassette ring to confirm the gear I'm in, but an indicator would be handy for sure in many applications.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Did you consider di2? Its easy to install, works very well, and you have the exact gear on display, no matter wich cassete size you choose.
By the way, I consider cadence the most important information to get from the display.

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Why don't Shimano have a gear readout on their displays?

They do. But it only works when you have a Di2 derailleur as that's the only way it can know definitively what gear you're in. If you don't have Di2 it just shows 'M' (which I'd guess is for Manual?)

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I enjoy seeing what gear I'm in on my AXS drivetrain. I keep it on my Garmin display.

Why is it useful? Mostly for when I'm stopped or descending for a while. It is handy to be able to see and also is useful with an ebike since you are one step removed from the feel due to the motor input.

Do I need it? Certainly not but do I like it, yup. Am I missing it on my other bikes not super but do find it would be useful.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
They do. But it only works when you have a Di2 derailleur as that's the only way it can know definitively what gear you're in. If you don't have Di2 it just shows 'M' (which I'd guess is for Manual?)
(speed / cadence) = gear

RiderOnTheStorm

(speed / cadence) = gear
Actually if I recall it's:

gear ratio = speed / (wheel circumference x cadence)

With gear ratio = chainring cogs / cassette cogs

So, to determine which sproket you're on, you can do the maths as follows ;), or better yet, look down on the cassette!

T = R x W x C x 60 / (S x 1000)

With

T: cassette sproket number of teeth
R: chainring number of teeth e.g 34 teeth
W: wheel circumference in Meter. E.g 2.32m for a 29" mtb wheel
C: pedalling cadence in RPM e.g 100 RPM
S: bike speed in km/h, e.g 20km/h

With the above example, the calculation would give:

T = 34x2.32x100x60 / 20×1000
T = 23.8 teeth

On a SRAM GX 10-52T cassette with the following sprokets: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28, 32, 36, 42, 52

And with Gear 1 being the largest 52 teeth sproket, you would most likely be riding in Gear 6 (24 teeth)

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
When you drive your car you don’t look down to see what gear your in, you just know when to shift. 👍
Exactly my thoughts (y)

The thread should read "Why a gear indicator ?" :)

I've always associated them with children to save asking there parents what gear there in when out for a ride .

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Exactly my thoughts (y)

I've always associated them with children to save asking there parents what gear there in when out for a ride .

Ha ha... I was out with my 8 year old daughter on Saturday riding some fairly basic trails. I'd be shouting back to her "there's a steep bit coming, put it in 2" so she was prepared!! Gripshift with a 1-7 indicator 😂

I have my AXS derailleur position displayed on my Garmin. I find it useful for when I'm away to fly down the singletrack. Generally 8 is the gear I pick. Usually it's uphill in 2/3/4 to get to the downhill part, quick shift into 8, and then off I go!

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Cadence is useful information even if the bike does not have a motor.
The OP is about knowing what sprocket is engaged, in situations when looking down or spinning the cranks are not possible, alas “technical terrain”…
Even if one considers it logical to do the maths while riding, why not have the computer do it?!

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Exactly my thoughts (y)

I guess, if you just ride flat trails looking at the view . .

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
(speed / cadence) = gear
Only if you know what size cassette, chainring and wheel size you're running. These are easily changed so the computer would be making assumptions that could be wrong.

But I will say I'm not sure why people are replying to tell you that you shouldn't want it, don't need it etc. It's up to you - if that's something that you'll find useful then that's fine. But you'll just need to get Di2 to have it :)

RiderOnTheStorm

Why don't Shimano have a gear readout on their displays?
How 'bout the shimano grip shifter? The RevoShift twist shifter as they call it.

Wanna know the gear you're in? The quick dial on the grip shows the gear number. Not sure though how suitable or reliable these would be for eMTB use!! :LOL:
shifter3.png

Last edited:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I guess, if you just ride flat trails looking at the view . .

Sounds lovely. This was why I was a rubbish road cyclist, too much time looking at the view rather than focusing intently on the tarmac inch’s in front of me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles