Fuel EXe Why I returned the Trek Fuel EXE

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
I bought the Fuel EXE a few weeks ago and it was sitting inside and I was worried that it wouldn't be enough bike for me. I'm in BC and I ride Mount Fromme, Mount Seymour, Squamish, Cypress (bring diapers) and Whistler. I have been using a Rocky Mountain PowerPlay with 108 nm of torque. Today, I tested the Fuel EXE around my local area here where I live just in the parkade and up some slopes on pavement, etc. In the end, I decided to return the bike today. As nice as the bike is, it just does not look and feel robust enough for me for the rough terrain that is out here.

I’ve read every page of the megathread here and there’s a pattern of: creaking sounds, the odd engine problem, and computer failures. The creaking and the overtightening of bolts on the carbon frame is concerning to me. The longevity of the motor is also a question mark and one I don’t want to beta test at this price point.

The bike is also hampered in the power department and its range is very limited. I also think it will be a bit fragile and a 140 mm rear suspension will just not be enough. My Rocky Mountain is built like a tank.

My takeaway from this is that Trek has built a bike that will appeal to a slice of the market who don't want/need a full power eBike. I understand it was never meant as a replacement for a full power eBike. And that's great. The bike feels like a regular bike and they've achieved their goals. They have given us a glimpse at the future. Probably in 5 years all eMountain Bikes with between 60-80 nm of torque will be as light and trim as this, all while sporting longer battery life and more shock travel.

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
I've just read this whole thing on a Facebook group & it looks like you've already linked this thread in another one on here. It's fine, we get it, the EXe isn't for you but there are plenty of people out there that it is the right bike for, myself included. There really is no need to spam the entire internet with your thoughts. If you prefer other bikes just go & ride other bikes & have fun.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've just read this whole thing on a Facebook group & it looks like you've already linked this thread in another one on here. It's fine, we get it, the EXe isn't for you but there are plenty of people out there that it is the right bike for, myself included. There really is no need to spam the entire internet with your thoughts. If you prefer other bikes just go & ride other bikes & have fun.
I thought he was quite objective ?

My takeaway from this is that Trek has built a bike that will appeal to a slice of the market who don't want/need a full power eBike. I understand it was never meant as a replacement for a full power eBike. And that's great. The bike feels like a regular bike and they've achieved their goals. They have given us a glimpse at the future.

It won't be for everyone who wants an EMTB, just as a full fat won't be for everyone either.

I think he's just sharing "his" experience. It's a forum, it's a great place to share your experiences. Just because that experience leads to a point of view which is different to someone else's doesn't mean it's spam.

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion & I read it as I read pretty much everything I see related to the EXe & plenty of other bikes too. It was more the linking it left, right & center like they're desperate for it to be seen. If someone is searching the internet for info on a particular bike then one thread will show up, it doesn't need to be posted in lots of different places all at the same time.
I am willing to accept that I may just be old & grouchy though, no offence was meant by my response.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I am willing to accept that I may just be old & grouchy though, no offence was meant by my response.
We're all old and grouchy ! :)

I think the OP is just disappointed. Previous posts would suggest they were heavily into the idea of the bike, for what it is and as a replacement for a full fat bike. It just wasn't for them. We all want to love our bikes and invariably we are bias towards them - either because of the fun they give us or some deep dark mental questioning of spending so much on so little ! :rolleyes: 😆

Some of us just suck up our disappointment .. some of us deal with it by sharing it.

The main thread seems to suggest that any problems are being identified and rectified and most of these are only down to individual builds.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m curious how you can just give it back a few weeks later after deciding it’s not for you !
I think that’s Trek’s return policy. You have 30 days, no questions asked, on anything. I’ve done this with bikes and other things too.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We're all old and grouchy ! :)
Hey hey hey! I’m no baby-ZimmerFrame but at least I’m grouchy 😛.

I’ve thought about adding an EXE to the stable. Another rider in our area had a chance to test-ride the EXE a few weeks ago. He has similar bikes and rides on the same trails as me. His feedback was interesting and I tend to agree with him. The EXE doesn’t quite fit the bill for me.

I use my tank (Rail 9.7) 85% of the time on this mountain. The Powerfly’s we have (HT) give us the range we need for our 70km outings on the flats but I occasionally ride in the mountains. Nothing against an EXE, but for now, it’s not for me.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Struck by how different expectations are for different riders. The reality is that in a year the whole dynamic could change again. The EXe that I love could be obsolete. I expect it. But I fully understood the Trek before I laid out my money.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
I'll be obsolete before any bike I buy will be.
My next "E"-bike might just be an electric dirt bike.
Top Speed: 85 MPH
Output: 46 HP, 106 Nm of torque
$5k.
Sign me up! I just need a rack to put my walker on it.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
I bought the Fuel EXE a few weeks ago and it was sitting inside and I was worried that it wouldn't be enough bike for me. I'm in BC and I ride Mount Fromme, Mount Seymour, Squamish, Cypress (bring diapers) and Whistler. I have been using a Rocky Mountain PowerPlay with 108 nm of torque. Today, I tested the Fuel EXE around my local area here where I live just in the parkade and up some slopes on pavement, etc. In the end, I decided to return the bike today. As nice as the bike is, it just does not look and feel robust enough for me for the rough terrain that is out here.

I’ve read every page of the megathread here and there’s a pattern of: creaking sounds, the odd engine problem, and computer failures. The creaking and the overtightening of bolts on the carbon frame is concerning to me. The longevity of the motor is also a question mark and one I don’t want to beta test at this price point.

The bike is also hampered in the power department and its range is very limited. I also think it will be a bit fragile and a 140 mm rear suspension will just not be enough. My Rocky Mountain is built like a tank.

My takeaway from this is that Trek has built a bike that will appeal to a slice of the market who don't want/need a full power eBike. I understand it was never meant as a replacement for a full power eBike. And that's great. The bike feels like a regular bike and they've achieved their goals. They have given us a glimpse at the future. Probably in 5 years all eMountain Bikes with between 60-80 nm of torque will be as light and trim as this, all while sporting longer battery life and more shock trav
I have the Fuel EXE (150/140) and my regular bike is a Commencal Meta (170/160). I also ride the same areas as you (gnarly North Shore) and was also concerned that the EXE wouldnt be up to the task. Especially coming from the Commencal which is quite a bit more travel and burlier bike. I've ridden the same trails that I normally ride on the Commencal and honestly I was surprised how the EXE handled everything. I didnt ever feel like the EXE was lacking and the was well suited to the slower tech we have here. The Commencal is more stable but EXE can handle the north shore just as well. I think a heavier ebike would be a hand full in some of the tight tech we have here.

Reactions: Dax

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
N
$5k.
Now this is what I don't get.
Surron Ultra Bee, 125kW/440NM motor, 4kWh battery, 240mm travel front and rear, top speed 90kph, range upto 140km, Or for the same price you can have an EX-e 9.5.
And people wonder why I say e-bike manufacturers are taking us for a ride (pun intended).
Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled service.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Now this is what I don't get.
Surron Ultra Bee, 125kW/440NM motor, 4kWh battery, 240mm travel front and rear, top speed 90kph, range upto 140km, Or for the same price you can have an EX-e 9.5.
And people wonder why I say e-bike manufacturers are taking us for a ride (pun intended).
Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled service.
I don't get the point?

Over here you couldn't ride that Surron anywhere except Dirtbike parks or riverbeds. You certainly couldn't ride it on the road without modification. I used to have a Kawasaki KDX200 trail bike and sold it as it took more effort to take it out for a ride than the actual time I spent riding it.

Yet you can ride the EXE anywhere, across all MTB parks and trail networks. Including the road. In my city your talking around 90% more areas to ride on an EX-E/Ebikes.

Surron would be cool if you lived on a farm or close to a river maybe?

Last edited:

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I think he saying that bikes are too expensive. I am avid motorcyclist and am constantly amazed how how inexpensive parts are on the moto side. Tires are particularly shocking. A ten pound knobby is $75.

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
I don't get the point?

Over here you couldn't ride that Surron anywhere except Dirtbike parks or riverbeds. You certainly couldn't ride it on the road without modification. I used to have a Kawasaki KDX200 trail bike and sold it as it took more effort to take it out for a ride than the actual time I spent riding it.

Yet you can ride the EXE anywhere, across all MTB parks and trail networks. Including ta ashe road. In my city your talking around 90% more areas to ride on an EX-E/Ebikes.

Surron would be cool if you lived on a farm or close to a river maybe?
I'm in no way suggesting they're like for like in usage. Just further proof, if any were needed, that MTB e-bike riders are getting ripped off.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
$5k.
Right, except where I live MTB trails are for riding Mountain bikes. Kinda like this forum is for Mountain bikes, so why mention motorcycles?

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
Right, except where I live MTB trails are for riding Mountain bikes. Kinda like this forum is for Mountain bikes, so why mention motorcycles?
I'll be careful to PM you first before I mention anything. No humor allowed (it was in response to post #12). It's an electric mountain bike forum, not a mountain bike forum.

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Back to the original post. Clearly the exe didn't have the specs you desire. So why did you take it in the first place? And then wax poetic that it wasn't enough bike? I think that's the most irksome part of this forum contribution. No offense intended here either but I think if the bike 'checked all yer boxes' and THEN you decided it didn't meet expectations, I think your post would have been received differently. If that mattered...

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I'll be careful to PM you first before I mention anything. No humor allowed (it was in response to post #12). It's an electric mountain bike forum, not a mountain bike forum.
Where I live and ride, about 80% of our trails ALL e-bikes are prohibited, but we still ride(mostly) without issue. Class 1 Ebikes are hated and continually scrutinized because the haters feel allowing Class 1 Ebikes will lead to your humor comment. Haters see that as the problem(causing all bikes to be banned) because of electric throttled motorcycles that you joked about. That’s all. Now back on topic.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles