Levo Gen 2 Who has already updated his 2019/20 Levo to motor v. 7.3.6 ?

Peter#DK#

Apr 11, 2019
Denmark
So where in this serial number Is the date?

1ECD1DE6-8FB5-4CCD-AB9C-74453379D5E5.jpeg

Velo Mangler

Aug 8, 2019
Brevard, NC
The firmware 7.3.6 is intended to better protect the belt against overload. Does anyone have any experience how/if the update will make itself noticeable on the trails?
Have you noticed any problems?
Re 7.3.6 Just had a new motor installed at dealer this week . The only difference I notice is a smooth transition of power in Turbo. Not so explosive as before. When I received the bike back I had to update the TCU as well as update my mission control app before it would work. When you swiched from power to the pedal bike platform . I had excessive friction. once I update now works great.
Hope this helps.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I wondered if it was my imagination (new firmware syndrome?) but it does seem smoother, more powerful, quieter and less resistance over the assistance limit. Battery Life seems unaffected. Yeah walk assist doesn't come on straight away but if you're walking what's the hurry?

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Does anybody else feel a more noticeable shift (disengaging) from motor (eco) to no assist?I am very happy with the drag (=no drag) of the new motor with the new firmware. Don’t remember exactly how that used to be.

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Yeah walk assist doesn't come on straight away but if you're walking what's the hurry?
Well, if it would be just that, fine. But it seems that it doesn't kick in reliably. At least not for me and few others who already reported similar. For me it works in maybe 25% of cases, no matter how long I wait pushing the button.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
Well, if it would be just that, fine. But it seems that it doesn't kick in reliably. At least not for me and few others who already reported similar. For me it works in maybe 25% of cases, no matter how long I wait pushing the button.

Yes, it was fine the first time out with it, but now it seems to only kick in if I actually start walking with it first.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Oops, meant to add that bit about walking first. A bit like you have to pedal to get pedal assist.

michaeldorian

Jul 25, 2018
California
I had a failed motor replaced 7/28/20 on a 2019 Levo Expert, It shows firmware 7.3.6 now. The power feels slightly softer to me, and the motor seems louder than my outgoing 2K mi. motor. But, I should give it time to break-in perhaps. I'm sure I'll acclimate to the reduced power if any, but I should notice if it quiets down. I will report back.

I got the update on a 2019. I would echo this same sentiment. The power feels slightly softer. I mostly ride in ECO and occasionally Trail. Noticed it most in Trail. If less power means more reliability, I'm all for it.

Gordon

Oct 18, 2018
Porto Portugal
@salko there was a tightening in legislation over walk-assist, this firmware update does slightly reduce the speed of the walk-assist function. We referenced it in the Q&A over on the pinned thread with rider letter/Q&A. It's not something we're 100% happy about and are hoping to improve this in the future.
"Slightly reduce speed" is a greatly exaggerated understatement. My lbs upgraded the firmware on my 2020 Turbo Levo last week and it's crap! I now have to push and lift my bike manually over obstacles that the previous walk assist could do on its own. With my damaged and arthritic knees after 71 years of active life I find this very difficult. Come on Specialized, get this sorted.

Aug 5, 2019
torfaen
Iv never used walk assist, But i can say without any doubt, since the update the motor doesn't pull as well, it lacks torque on the climbs, This is not just my opinion, a few of the blokes i ride with have all said the same.
tbh, specialized aint going to give extra warranty without winding the motors back enough to stop failures.

Rocketiii

Jul 12, 2019
Kenley, Surrey
I had the firmware update last week and all good so far. I‘ve not really used the walk mode so not too worried. Last year the (noisy) motor was changed out and the replacement had a max power of 711W. However, since the new firmware I can now get 760W ! See BLEVO below from short ride.

8982D9DC-AD2A-4320-A7AF-73A52C6ABD7C.jpeg

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I had the firmware update last week and all good so far. I‘ve not really used the walk mode so not too worried. Last year the (noisy) motor was changed out and the replacement had a max power of 711W. However, since the new firmware I can now get 760W ! See BLEVO below from short ride.

View attachment 38646
My motor max the other day was 754W :love:
No loss of power, and it felt more seamless in the delivery. I also noticed that when I hit 20mph (I'm in the US) the support power rolled off more smoothly and not as noticeable as before.
I do use walk assist on one set of stairs and found if I hole the button for about 10 seconds then it perks up a bit - not as much as before but enough

Peter#DK#

Apr 11, 2019
Denmark
Iv never used walk assist, But i can say without any doubt, since the update the motor doesn't pull as well, it lacks torque on the climbs, This is not just my opinion, a few of the blokes i ride with have all said the same.
tbh, specialized aint going to give extra warranty without winding the motors back enough to stop failures.

After testing mine on some steap climbs, i am sorry to say that i agree. I miss that torque.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway

View attachment 38646

Agree with this. I got the new 2021 motor as replacement with latest firmware and turbo kicks! Remember to reset your tuning in MC.

Walk-mode is a bit wonky but I found I have to start pushing before it starts.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
The firmware 7.3.6 is intended to better protect the belt against overload. Does anyone have any experience how/if the update will make itself noticeable on the trails?
I got it done couple of weeks ago 20 quid. Walk assist i don't see much difference but don't use it much. I am conscious i can feel the drag against motor at 15 mph more aggressive than before saying that that may just be the new motor 250 miles on it maybe.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Not sure the new firmware is giving extra power - I'm on 6.1 (so old firmware) with a 2.1 motor from April 2019 - gave it a very short try this morning and got 751w:

IMG_1902.jpeg

gimmick_82

Oct 6, 2019
Vienna
hi,

got the update last week, didn't notice a power difference.

today i used walk mode the first time after the update and there was nearly no support. The bike did not move by it self, like it did before the update. After about 15 seconds I tried to set another gear and then a motor error occured. A few seconds later the motor error dissappeard with out switching the bike off or doing anything else.
bike worked with no problem for the tour then....but the walk mode is a joke now, and absolutely useless!

Trax

Aug 19, 2020
Switzerland
I own a Levo carbon comp 19. First Motor died after 400km. Second Motor have 1200km and i have now nearly 100km on the new firmware.
My experience with new firmware on my hometrail (18km / 500m steep uphill / rocky fast downhill - flowtrail - some jumps)
- Support is nearly the same
- its noisy after 200m uphill but not that bad as the first motor, i think the update did nothing to noise, its the hardware.
- Some times motor disengage later after stop pedaling. Befor update i had this only in turbo, now i feel a late disengage in eco and trail. Some times it feels that motor dosent stop at all with no torque on pedals. Dont like that, its hard to change gear correct.
- I think i have more battery drop, abbout 10%, can that be? I ride the same round about 2 times a week, therefore have a very good comparison.
- The walk assist is poor now, there are stairs up i have to go, its the biggest noticable difference for me. Befor it was a very good walk assist, in low gears not to fast but very powerfull.

Overall, for me its a clear downgrade

Hariwhit

Sep 6, 2020
Pollock Pines, California
I got a new motor and firmware update 5 days ago. I have ridden about 70 miles since the update. I have noticed the walk assist is slower. I can hear the motor slightly more on steep climbs. I ride in trail mode 95% of the time, and the performance is excellent. I ride a 15 mile trail loop every day and have notice a 4% increase in The remaining battery capacity at the end of my ride.

Koosh

Feb 11, 2019
Netherlands
Hi there, i would like to know about your experiences. Ik own a Levo comp carbon 2019 with 500wh battery. Still original motor. However i did the last software update from Specialized with mission control and went to the local store for last firmware update, all went well. But driving now is diffirent, 100% batt is 80 % because when the last two leds are left over, they change to red and reduce input with 12 Volt from the battery, to safe the battery. It feels like, that after 35 km riding in eco at 25-40 assistance my battery is reduced to 30% ?. Anyone here have the same experience?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles