Which one to sell?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
So, I picked up a 2022 Specialized Gen 3 Levo Alloy a few months back to keep my Focus Jam 2 company.

The only problem is, I haven’t really ridden it much, and the Focus keeps winning when it comes to a ride out. I just seem to prefer it, fits like an old jacket and I’ve enjoyed many hours on it. I also picked up an EP8 motor for it a while back to replace the E8000 if it ever gives up, although it’s fine at the moment.

I’ve thrown quite a few nice new parts onto the Specialized, but still it doesn’t really do it for me. I enjoyed my brief early rides, but that doesn’t seem to have lasted.

I like to keep thinking I’m a bigger terrain rider than perhaps I am, and I do enjoy the odd Lakeland and Peak District bash, but I do those on the Focus too. I mostly ride mixed trails and usually for around 15-20 miles.

So, with less than 50 miles on the clock, do I cut my losses and move the big S on, or do I persevere and sell the Focus and use the money for some riding trips? 🤔

IMG_5776.jpeg IMG_6196.jpeg

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
I don't think 50 miles is enough to "get used" to the bike. Give it some more miles before you make a decision.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I don't think 50 miles is enough to "get used" to the bike. Give it some more miles before you make a decision.

Yes, I might do that, I don’t actually need to sell either of them, but I also don’t like bikes sitting around unused, especially EMTBs.

I just think if I need to ‘force’ myself to ride it, something hasn’t clicked. It’s a great bike, don’t get me wrong, just prefer my Focus.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Different geometry? Maybe a new stem length, bar rotation, seat adjustment, crank length? There could be a few things to try to get the perfect “feel”.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Different geometry? Maybe a new stem length, bar rotation, seat adjustment, crank length? There could be a few things to try to get the perfect “feel”.

Good shouts, and I’ve been fiddling about with things so that the reach and stack etc is the same to within a few mm of my Focus.

The Focus is a couple of Kgs lighter, 21.5 vs 23.5, and they’re both mullets, Specialized has a couple of inches more travel up front as well.

I do prefer the Levo motor, if I could put that in the Focus I’d be a happy chap! 😂

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Good shouts, and I’ve been fiddling an out with things so that the reach and stack etc is the same to within a few mm of my Focus.

The Focus is a couple of Kgs lighter, 21.5 vs 23.5, and they’re both mullets, Specialized has a couple of inches more travel up front as well.

I do prefer the Levo motor, if I could put that in the Focus I’d be a happy chap! 😂
Or…you could buy an extra helmet and stuff and keep it in the stable for those occasional visitors to use. That’s what I do 😏.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Which bike has the "look back" factor?

I mean when you walk away from it do you always turn for one more look?

The Focus owes you nothing but it is still delivering miles and fun. You prefer riding it. From what you have written the Speccy does not have the look back factor, so sell it while it is still highly saleable. You have a good reason to sell (spur of the moment etc), all the paperwork, hardly used etc, not a scratch on it, etc.

Will the shop take it back, for a fee? Might be a quicker resolution for you.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I did buy it in Feb 2023, although I’m sure they’d offer me something for it or do a commission sale.

I think I’m perhaps more invested in the Focus, personally, I’ve enjoyed maintaining it over the years, it’s in brilliant mechanical order and I’ve made things like range extenders for it myself so it’s got flexibility in range. I can do 12-15 miles on the frame battery or 40+ with the couple of extenders.

Perhaps it’s the ‘tinkering factor’ as well for the Focus, the Specialized doesn’t really need anything even though I stuck some spare forks on it I had, and T-Type transmission, a new shock and wireless dropper.

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Yes, I might do that, I don’t actually need to sell either of them, but I also don’t like bikes sitting around unused, especially EMTBs.

I just think if I need to ‘force’ myself to ride it, something hasn’t clicked. It’s a great bike, don’t get me wrong, just prefer my Focus.
I suppose it was a reason for you to buy it in the first place something you missed on Focus when comparing the two bikes. 2.2 motor is pretty advanced if you know how to set it up with the app.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I suppose it was a reason for you to buy it in the first place something you missed on Focus when comparing the two bikes. 2.2 motor is pretty advanced if you know how to set it up with the app.

Yes, I don’t mean to be down on the Levo, the motor and App are first rate. 👍

I suppose I might have been swayed by the price drops, and the fact I had some spares ready to throw on, hence my choosing of the base model. I do like it, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t seem to love it, and I’m not sure why… 🤔

Polar

Jun 16, 2023
Norway
Yes, I don’t mean to be down on the Levo, the motor and App are first rate. 👍

I suppose I might have been swayed by the price drops, and the fact I had some spares ready to throw on, hence my choosing of the base model. I do like it, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t seem to love it, and I’m not sure why… 🤔
I got you to fast on the trigger😂sell it straight away with $500 loss and spend the rest on party🥳you won't regret it🙄

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I got curious about your plan to substitute an e8000 for an ep8. Is it that easy? I’m asking because I’ve heard that they use different cables and connectors …

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I got curious about your plan to substitute an e8000 for an ep8. Is it that easy? I’m asking because I’ve heard that they use different cables and connectors …

Yes, different shimano interconnect cables (display/thumb shifter etc), but battery to motor connections are the same.

That sort of stuff interests me as well, the EP8 is supposedly a step up from the E8000 wise, and I’d like to find out. 👍

RiderOnTheStorm

So, with less than 50 miles on the clock, do I cut my losses and move the big S on, or do I persevere and sell the Focus and use the money for some riding trips? 🤔
Keep'em both!!

Always keep one as spare. While one is being worked on, repaired, upgraded, etc, ride the other one...

That's what I've been doing, so I'm never left without a bike and never miss a ride! ;)

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
What made you buy it in the first place if you were happy with your current bike?

Hey, the grass is always greener right?!

I enjoy ‘wrenching and upgrading’ as much as riding, it’s a part of the hobby for me as well.

I just picked up a cheap frame set to put a ‘bitsa’ non-electric bike together with spares I’ve got sitting around in the workshop. I’ll then ride it for a bit before selling it on cheaply or donating it to a friend or family member.

I do quite fancy one of the ‘light weight’ EMTBs, so I’m thinking about whether I could trade it for something like that.

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
I am in the keep em both camp. Levos not a bad bike and motor is great when it's not broken. Good to have a spare for all the reasons previously mentioned

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
..............., the EP8 is supposedly a step up from the E8000 wise, and I’d like to find out. 👍
No "supposedly" about it!
21% more torque, less weight, more tunability that actually makes a very noticeable difference. The EP8 vs the e8000 is not just a new edition that's a bit better, it is A LOT better! Less rolling resistance, some say it has a clattering sound when freewheeling down hill over bumpy terrain; I heard it at first because I was looking for it, but I've never noticed it since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles