Which chain?

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Hello all, and happy new year.

My Giant Trance X Advanced E+2 will need a new chain soon, having done around 800 miles so far and now showing 0.5% wear.

The original factory spec was a KMC e12 Sport - the best price I can see for these is £55, whereas an alternative KMC x12 is £30 and a Shimano Devore M6100 is £23 - all current Amazon deals.

The cassette is a Shimano HG6100 with a Deore SLX Shadow+ derailleur (whatever that means - I am an ageing newbie).

Any thoughts please on which route to take? I could buy 2.5 cheap Shimanos for the cost of an original KMC, so could trade off longevity for price, although I’m more interested in corrosion resistance. My previous Trek Powerfly had a Shimano M7100 chain which was a nightmare to keep free of corrosion (but may have been from a flaky batch) and my rides are usually wet and muddy.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
As per the million and 1 threads on what chain. Xtr or x01. Fit and forget for about 2.5k miles. Cheap chains stretch and wear components and rust. Any make will fit as the pitch is a standard size. It's only the width to match the number of cogs on the cassette that matters. So if its 12speed then you need a 12speed chain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@SteveTTT Take into account that a worn chain wears the gears more rapidly than an unworn chain. That suggests that you should but the best chain that you can so that you avoid wear on the even more expensive cassette and front ring.

But you will also find that if you put a brand-new chain onto a worn cassette it will slip under pressure, with a resounding and disconcerting bang. It may slip on the ring instead or even as well, but less likely, depends on just how worn.

Advice: After only 800 miles, you should be OK, so buy the best chain you can and fit it now, don't wait until the current chain wears any more, damaging the other components.
But if the new chain slips, then put the old chain back on and run it until the whole transmission is goosed. Start saving now. Then buy all new and use your new chain. Or take advantage of any Jan sale deals and buy just a cassette.

Some finessing around that may be possible, you know your bike.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
@SteveTTT Take into account that a worn chain wears the gears more rapidly than an unworn chain. That suggests that you should but the best chain that you can so that you avoid wear on the even more expensive cassette and front ring.

But you will also find that if you put a brand-new chain onto a worn cassette it will slip under pressure, with a resounding and disconcerting bang. It may slip on the ring instead or even as well, but less likely, depends on just how worn.

Advice: After only 800 miles, you should be OK, so buy the best chain you can and fit it now, don't wait until the current chain wears any more, damaging the other components.
But if the new chain slips, then put the old chain back on and run it until the whole transmission is goosed. Start saving now. Then buy all new and use your new chain. Or take advantage of any Jan sale deals and buy just a cassette.

Some finessing around that may be possible, you know your bike.
Thanks Steve, that’s very helpful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles