Where's EMTB mode?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My mate has bought a Forme Black Rocks which comes with the latest Bosch motor.
I have been telling him that he will find the EMTB mode great as he is very power mean and often finds himself in too lower a power mode and can't get up the technical stuff.
The problem is that, when he came to show me his new bike today, there was no sign of EMTB mode on his control display.
Can anyone enlighten me?

Last edited:

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I've just bought a 2021 Trek Rail with the Bosch Gen4 that already had the latest software update on it.
Mine cycles through Eco, Tour (which I think is now actually the new EMTB Lite mode from the latest update but no room for it on the display ;)) then EMTB and Turbo.
Not sure if all the Bosch Gen4s and displays are the same though...

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If the G4 Bosch does not show the 4 modes of Eco - Tour - eMTB - Turbo then it may require a firmware update.
Was riding with a guy a few weeks back and he only had Eco-Tour-Sport-Turbo until the upgrade.

Me, I am thinking about ditching MTB mode as it is too power thirsty for my riding style. Rather have the set power level of Sport than something that is random.
Basic settings are:
Eco 60%
Tour 140%
Sport 240%
Turbo 340%

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks Rusty, that explains it, it looks like his bike has not had the latest upgrade even though he only took delivery of it three days ago. Or, EMTB lite mode is there under another name and full EMTB has been removed
Guess a trip to the dealer is the only way to find out.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If you hook up to the Bosch ebike connect software you can check firmware levels easily.
My LBS texts me whenever they are notified of new firmware to ensure I get the best enjoyment. Rode with a guy on an older Trek the other evening and his bike was on the original firmware as delivered 2 years ago. Not a happy camper when he found out that there was a recommended upgrade before he bought the bike. Turns out, like at many LBS, his had little knowledge of motors and firmware so were a bit ignorant.

Gigha

Sep 30, 2020
East Lothian
Thanks Rusty, that explains it, it looks like his bike has not had the latest upgrade even though he only took delivery of it three days ago. Or, EMTB lite mode is there under another name and full EMTB has been removed
Guess a trip to the dealer is the only way to find out.

You may have the latest firmware, they have to tick a box top enable EMTB when they do the firmware install. [the default I believe is just the 4 standard modes]

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
If you hook up to the Bosch ebike connect software you can check firmware levels easily.
My LBS texts me whenever they are notified of new firmware to ensure I get the best enjoyment. Rode with a guy on an older Trek the other evening and his bike was on the original firmware as delivered 2 years ago. Not a happy camper when he found out that there was a recommended upgrade before he bought the bike. Turns out, like at many LBS, his had little knowledge of motors and firmware so were a bit ignorant.

Yes, my mate got his from the LBS which does very little trade in e-bikes, let alone top(ish) end e-mtbs, so I am not sure how well prepared it will have been.
The problem is he refuses to dabble with the software himself and is quite happy to ride his bike in ignorance of its full potential, which is why I am being curious on his behalf.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
As said, probably an update error. I got my wifes buike updated when we were on holiday in Italy, and unfortunately too late noticed they had updated without selecting mountain bike. so now she had Eco, Tour, Sport and Turbo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles