• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Where’s my buzz gone

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
I have an Orbea Rise H30 fitted with HUNT Wide V2 wheels. The bike and wheels have performed faultlessly for the last 1700 miles.
But…
Earlier tonight I decided to change my brake pads and what should have been a 10 minute job turned into several hours of frustration and despair.
While I had the rear wheel off I thought Id give the cassette a good clean. When removing the end cap the entire cassette and freehub came free. That wasnt a problem and I decided to give the freehub and axle a good clean too.
I cleaned and lightly greased the bearings etc and cleaned the freehub ( Shimano micro spline) lightly oiled it with dry lube, put it all back together and refitted the wheel.
Now when I stop pedalling the pedals continue to turn but the wheel doesnt spin anywhere near as freely. If I loosen the wheel axle the pedals will stop turning but the rear wheel is loose. If I tighten the wheel axle to a certain point the pedals will only turn when not pedalling on the 3 smallest cogs. When the pedals are turning the freehub “buzz” is missing.
As stated, this pedal turning and loss of buzz has only happened since I cleaned the freehub
Any suggestions as to whats happened and how to resolve it?
Thanks
P

Bueller

Apr 5, 2024
WI
To troubleshoot you could disassmble it and clean all of the new grease/oil off and just put it together dry to see if that brings it back to life. Then reevaluate. Sounds like it has too much grease or it's too thick.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The wheel is wider than when you took it off the bike so is getting 'pinched' when you put it back on the bike.

Check the cassette is correctly reassembled and also check that the freehub is properly seated. Make sure all the pawls are correctly seated.

Edit: you only need a small amount of thin grease on the pawls, a lot of thick grease can stop them freely engaging.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
My guess is you've inadvertently misassembled it & the pawls are grinding up against the internal base of the ratchet ring. It's very easily done & worsens when you tighten the maxle. Often it's a simple as a missing or wrongly placed spacer/washer.

Ideally, find a diagram on the Orbea or manufcturer's site & redo it, following that. Also, don't ask me how I know this :whistle:

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Shit mano micro spline freehubs don't have pawls.
They are a ratchet type setup.
Basically as said earlier, your stripdown and rebuild has resulted in the rear hub being a fraction wider and it's trapping the freehub so it's no longer free to rotate.
You could always ignore the do not dissemble notice like I did and properly strip it down 🤔
Massive edit. Just noticed that you have Hunt wheels so ignore the freehub and pawl bit 😱
It's still too wide to spin freely though.
IMG_20221018_125058.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles