Wheel recommendations

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Looking for your expert knowledge in choosing a wheelset. They will be to replace what comes on my Rail 9, love the bike not so much the wheels. Red runs are about my limit and small jumps but mainly XC trail based stuff, bike + kitted rider is about the 125KG mark, 29 front and rear with Sram driver and a budget of around £750 give or take, i'd like to keep weight down if poss and 2.6" tyres max. What do you recommend???

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
DT Swiss do a hydrid range specifically beefed up for Emtb. My E180 Whyte is fitted with the DT Swiss H1700 wheelset. Uprated straight pull spokes, beefed up hubs, the usual DT Swiss freehub options ( mine is XD/24t ratchet) all freehubs are steel. Servicing is easy and quick and the only special tool needed is the hub ratchet ring remover if you need to change rear wheel bearings......and you need DT Special Grease (red) for servicing/lubing the ratchet system ( but one tube is likely to last for years).
Most of all I was impressed that after a full UK winter riding the rear hub/freehub assembly was clean and dry when I went to service it.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
DT Swiss do a hydrid range specifically beefed up for Emtb. My E180 Whyte is fitted with the DT Swiss H1700 wheelset. Uprated straight pull spokes, beefed up hubs, the usual DT Swiss freehub options ( mine is XD/24t ratchet) all freehubs are steel. Servicing is easy and quick and the only special tool needed is the hub ratchet ring remover if you need to change rear wheel bearings......and you need DT Special Grease (red) for servicing/lubing the ratchet system ( but one tube is likely to last for years).
Most of all I was impressed that after a full UK winter riding the rear hub/freehub assembly was clean and dry when I went to service it.

I have the H1500x on my other emtb but in 27.5 which is a shame a i would of swapped them over instantly, like you 2 full uk winter riding and still roll lightning fast and as true as the day i got the bike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
ps....hubs are uprated DT Swiss 350s

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I built some hope Hubs halo or Mavic rims Mavic are better if u go for 8 series sapim laser spokes they made such a difference to my bikes ride quality I normally laugh at people that say stuff like that but my standard 35mm wheels were 2.2-2.3 kgs stock my built up wheels are 1750-1800 grams and really make a huge difference to the turning or ride quality evenni notice and I'm just an ok trail rider ? Or if you can't be arsed to get them built buy some hunt wheels ? Oh just riding along do colour matched wheels if u fancy aswell ? Hope it helps ?

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
IMHO, best bang for your dollar on the high end of the scale is Light Bicycle. Looks like they can fit your budget and you don't have to go with proprietary hubs or spokes. If you ever break a rim, it's going to be relatively affordable to replace. I've been using them since 2010.

carbon mountain bike wheelset-mountain wheel,mtb wheel,mountain bike carbon wheel,carbon mtb wheels,carbon mtb wheelset Light-Bicycle (lightbicycle.com)
Another vote for Light Bicycle wheels. I have the EN933 built on DT 350s (32 spoke) on my Rail and the turn in is so much more precise that the Bontrager Line Comp 30; I found myself cutting corners when I first started riding them as I had to recalibrate my brain for the lack of flex. These wheels are super tough. I've clattered them through some high speed root and rock sections that I thought would be damaging and they shook it off without a scratch.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
What exactly is it you "do not love" about your current wheels?

After running on the HX1500's for the last 2 years these Bontrager just feel a bit squirmy, i have to keep checking the rear end for a flat. Tried various pressures but still the same. I just prefer the more direct feel of my previous wheels or is that just going from 27.5 to 29???

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Id guess its the tires that squirm. I like a little compliance in my wheels. Like specialized wheels im also skeptical of the rear hubs bontrager use. Thought that might be your reason. I had lite bicycle carbon wheels. No problem other than i found them too stiff. Maybe 28h would be better but not into spending that kind of $ to see. My dt h1900 have been impressive for an inexpensive wheelset. I guess theyre an option. 28h and straight spokes are kind of a pain though. The spokescare actually harder to replace than a j bend skoke in most cases. 28h replacement rims arent as readily available either. I like the hope complete wheels from chainreaction. Great price, tough 32h rim, j bend ez to find spokes, hubs last forever and spin fast and you can swap the freehub body to whatever you want super quick if you decide to change to microspline.
Currently im rebuilding my rear dt h1900. Lbs couldnt track down a rim so i did. Ill let them figure the spoke length and build it. I couldnt find the erd of any of the dt H rims. I almost just bought another hope conplete wheel. Only an extra $100 and id have a new hope pro4 hub on top of the new rim and spokes

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
IMHO, best bang for your dollar on the high end of the scale is Light Bicycle. Looks like they can fit your budget and you don't have to go with proprietary hubs or spokes. If you ever break a rim, it's going to be relatively affordable to replace. I've been using them since 2010.

carbon mountain bike wheelset-mountain wheel,mtb wheel,mountain bike carbon wheel,carbon mtb wheels,carbon mtb wheelset Light-Bicycle (lightbicycle.com)
Agree with this^^ I designed my own wheels and paid exactly the budget mentioned in the opening post. the wheels have been awesome.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
After running on the HX1500's for the last 2 years these Bontrager just feel a bit squirmy, i have to keep checking the rear end for a flat. Tried various pressures but still the same. I just prefer the more direct feel of my previous wheels or is that just going from 27.5 to 29???
Have a wheelbuilder re-tension them for you.
But yes. 29 is slightly more flexy. Like for like.
You Almost certainly don't need to spend 750 just to stiffen up your rims

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Can't argue with the path of least economic resistance if it turns out that the spokes weren't properly stress-relieved at the factory. That said, IIRC the Bontragers on the Rail are only 28 spokes front and rear.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Looking for your expert knowledge in choosing a wheelset. They will be to replace what comes on my Rail 9, love the bike not so much the wheels. Red runs are about my limit and small jumps but mainly XC trail based stuff, bike + kitted rider is about the 125KG mark, 29 front and rear with Sram driver and a budget of around £750 give or take, i'd like to keep weight down if poss and 2.6" tyres max. What do you recommend???
Are you upgrading through the shop where you're ordering your bike from, if so, ask them about upgrades to your wheelset, when decided, ask them the price difference in them swapping the originals out for the upgraded wheelset.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
I have the H1500x on my other emtb but in 27.5 which is a shame a i would of swapped them over instantly, like you 2 full uk winter riding and still roll lightning fast and as true as the day i got the bike.
I managed do dent my DT1700H rear rim. Still ran fine just wouldn't hold air when tubeless. Couldn't source any in 29" so have gone Hope Fortis. They feel more playful than the DT but only 40miles on them so far - similar riding and weight to you by the sounds of it. When supply restarts I may try and source just a rim as the rest of the wheel felt great.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
have You tried different tyres , the originals are very large for a 2.6 and quite soft carcasses mine , I quite like them but they seem to need a bit more pressure .
if I buy more wheels for mine I think I’ll probably choose hope , simply because the hubs are easy to service and parts are easy to find being British made , considering the current supply problem . I’ll stick with the standard 30mm rim width , it seems better than my last 35mm rims

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
I have Spank 359 on my rail and I’m well chuffed with them. Probably best wheels I’ve ever owned and cheapest as well. I always brought DT Swiss wheels but couldn’t find stock at the time and didn’t want to wait to have some made up. Seen these Spanks in stock on wiggle, I had never herd of them before. After hours of only finding good reviews decided to give them a try.

As soon as I opened the box I was impressed. The way they was packaged and that they come loaded with quality valves and really think rubber tubeless ready tap and Spare spokes aswell, I could just tell they was going to be quality. The bit I messed up on was I ordered 28 spoke not 32 but I kept them anyway. So fare done around 400 miles on them all down hill stuff, smashed the back wheel a few times on gap jumps but so fare the wheels are still buckle free. The hubs are great aswell. 108 tooth great for techie climbs and they sound really nice. Same pitch as the hope hub 4 but not as loud just right I think. They sound fast and expensive but not annoying on long rides. Weight I found decent aswell reviews said they was on the heavy side but they was a lot lighter than the ones that came on my Rail.

obiwun

Mar 22, 2021
Australia

100% agree with this. The spokes on my rail 9.8 rear wheel became very loose. LBS trued and tightened my rear wheel and I'm good to go. I have dented and flat spotted the rim but that is not a Bonty issue, my DT wheelset is in similar shape. When I destroy my Bontrager rear rim I reckon I'll build a new DT rim onto the Bontrager hub, I like the hubs.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
have You tried different tyres , the originals are very large for a 2.6 and quite soft carcasses mine , I quite like them but they seem to need a bit more pressure .
if I buy more wheels for mine I think I’ll probably choose hope , simply because the hubs are easy to service and parts are easy to find being British made , considering the current supply problem . I’ll stick with the standard 30mm rim width , it seems better than my last 35mm rims

I have just changed them and only had 1 short ride, gone to DHR/DHF exo+ 2.4, couldn't find a DD for the rear. Lot more grip instantly. Your right the stock carcass are very soft and could contribute to the twangy feel i was experiencing. Just need to let a bit of air out of the Maxxis as i run them quite firm on my 1st ride, will have a play today.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have just changed them and only had 1 short ride, gone to DHR/DHF exo+ 2.4, couldn't find a DD for the rear. Lot more grip instantly. Your right the stock carcass are very soft and could contribute to the twangy feel i was experiencing. Just need to let a bit of air out of the Maxxis as i run them quite firm on my 1st ride, will have a play today.
I put some Michelin e wild 2.6 on , they were a lot slimmer than the originals , better grip bit slower rolling I actually missed the soft playful ride of the bontrager tyres , so Iam saving the michelins for winter again

Dec 18, 2019
UK
I've been meaning to get a spare set of wheels for my current bike and E-MTB's intro to Mavic's E-Deemax has had me looking for a pair since. I finally sourced some and they arrived last week. They have a slightly more involved strip-down than my current Hope's, but it's all very easy. The Freehub ratchet is completely different, and quieter, but looks to be well designed. Best bit is the weight rating of 180kg, build quality appears to be top notch and, given they're burlier than my Hope set, they are also a tad lighter!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles