Levo SL Gen 1 What's the lightest modded SL aluminium out there?

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland
Trying to decide between the aluminium SL or carbon.

£1k saving is a lot, so wondering if trimming some weight off the aluminium over time will get close to the carbon weight but still saves money? Or is it a false economy?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

addxyz

Sep 21, 2018
USA
Trying to decide between the aluminium SL or carbon.

£1k saving is a lot, so wondering if trimming some weight off the aluminium over time will get close to the carbon weight but still saves money? Or is it a false economy?

I'm trying to make that decision now. I'm curious if the motor sounds are lower in the carbon. $1k could definitely be put into some upgrades.

Last edited:

Beaker

Jul 5, 2020
Scotland

WOW that’s an absolute stunner, inspirational stuff. Absolutely amazing weight as well, that’s a definite winner.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
800 to 900 grams is a lot to shave off a bike weight by changing components. spend the saved money on better components for sure, but to lose nearly a kilo you'd have to spend well over a thousand on wheels, and then another thousand after that On other parts.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a rule of thumb that to save bike weight typically costs £1 per gram, or to put it another way £1000/kg.

My epiphany came when I had to replace the titanium-railed saddle that had come with the bike because it was disintegrating due to too many involuntary dismounts. I discovered that to replace like-for-like was very expensive. I was happy with the saddle so I looked at the range, hoping to get something a bit cheaper. Fortunately weights as well as the prices were displayed. I discovered that I could buy the exact same shaped saddle from the same brand of the same manufacturer for £60 less, but it weighed 60gm more. Hence the £1/gm.

I had a look around the internet from time to time and kept seeing it everywhere (OK, I know that could be confirmation bias). There were exceptions of course, particularly during sale time, but I found it to be a reasonable guide. That was quite a few years ago now, and I would have expected it to become £1100/kg or even higher, but it doesn't seem to have done so. I no longer look (in case my confirmation bias is overturned?) :)

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
That seems like a reasonable analysis, Steve - but I reckon that where the SL is concerned, we need to think about the Real World impact of a couple of pounds, more or less.

In all the reviews of the SL Comp that I've watched (I've watched every one I can find, and mine is hopefully being delivered tomorrow - I could comfortably have spent more and gone carbon, but I didn't see what I'd gain) nobody has said anything to suggest that it would be better if only it was a bit lighter.

We know that regardless of frame material the SL is recognised for its acoustic bike-like riding characteristics, so personally I don't get any sense that those of us who have chosen the aluminium frame are losing out dynamically. My test ride of the Comp had me grinning like a loon, and that's the whole story as far as I'm concerned.

I'll convert to tubeless as soon as I get some more sealant (as an aside, can anyone confirm that tubeless valves are provided with SLs?) and I reckon I'll feel that more than I will a slightly lighter frame.

It's only the difference between an empty and a full water bottle in the frame cage - does anyone notice that?

Just my two penn'orth.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I guess its what you want out of an SL build - if you are going for all out super lightweight XC type build then carbon is the way to go, but if all you are really after is a lightweight EMTB but still built up with burlier components I cant see a huge benefit in going carbon.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Oh, I'm not knocking the appeal of light for its own sake - back in The Olden Days I got my hardtail Univega Alpina 5.5 down to < 23 lbs - but on an ebike I just doubt anyone will notice a couple of pounds either way.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh, I'm not knocking the appeal of light for its own sake - back in The Olden Days I got my hardtail Univega Alpina 5.5 down to < 23 lbs - but on an ebike I just doubt anyone will notice a couple of pounds either way.
Depends how you ride really.
I'm a playful sort of rider who even on my commute will be hopping kerbs, popping off speed bumps etc. and manualling every long straight or downhill and wheelying up most hills. riding like that on an Eeb is a lot more tiring and puts a lot more strain on your lower back, shoulders and upperbody than a normal bike. Because of this I personally think pretty much every Ebike over 50lb handles like a pig.
Most folks high torque 500wh+ mid motor Emtbs are considerably heavier than 50lb with big draggy AF tyres. (which just worsens those pig like handling traits)

Personally I feel 36-42lb would be the sweetspot for Eebs to handle more like a normal bikes and that's easily do able without sacrificing durability on a fairly economical carbon SL comp build. as for whether a carbon frame is worth the weight savings .I'd say yes. I'd always choose a carbon frame and Alu rims over the other way around as well.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Oh yeah, if you're at the upper end of your personal bike weight limit, a couple of pounds might be a deal-breaker - no argument there - but that's not really where the SL lives, I reckon.

Your 36 - 42lb sweetspot kinda makes my point, Gary: there's more than 2lbs between the lower and upper weights, and we're still good. If 36lbs is OK and 40lbs is OK, then by definition 2lbs isn't a show-stopper.

That's all I'm getting at: light enough is light enough for most of us, and as long as another couple of pounds doesn't put a rider over some sort of personal threshold, it's not something to worry about, so - purely in that context - there's no overriding advantage to carbon over aluminium.

But... If 2lbs really made the difference between a bike we want to ride and a bike we want to hate; and if a carbon fibre would swing the deal; then sure, why not?

I just can't see being a likely scenario where the SL is concerned. It's a famously light ebike in any of its guises, and we need to keep context in view.

I like fast, swoopy flow trails (a throwback to the days when we all rode "singletrack", I suppose); I completely understand the appeal of light bikes; and at nearly 60 I don't want life to be harder than it has to be. I've still got an (aluminium) SL Comp coming in a few hours time, providing that Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative is as good as its word.

I chose the Comp over the Comp Carbon. Price didn't come into it (I'd decided against the Expert, because I think carbon wheels would be wasted on me) and if I later decide I need to lose some weight from the bike, I'll take the water bottle out of the cage and put it in my rucksack bottle pocket, which will make up for the weight difference between the alloy and carbon frames.

:cool:

It would be possible to spend some of the money saved on lightening the bike, but I doubt there's 2lb reduction to be had for £1k, but my honest take is that it's really not needed.

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
You will notice it on the wheels for sure.
Oh yeah, light wheels are a joy - but the SL Comp Carbon comes with aluminium wheels. The Comp Expert is where carbon wheels come into the equation (although the 2021 model seems to have alloy wheels) and I'm assuming (based on the £1k saving he mentions) that the OP is looking at the Comp and the Comp Carbon.

Is the Roval Carbon wheelset that much lighter than the aluminium wheels on the Comp, incidentally? I really don't know, and I'd be interested in the weights.

Last edited:

addxyz

Sep 21, 2018
USA
That seems like a reasonable analysis, Steve - but I reckon that where the SL is concerned, we need to think about the Real World impact of a couple of pounds, more or less.

In all the reviews of the SL Comp that I've watched (I've watched every one I can find, and mine is hopefully being delivered tomorrow - I could comfortably have spent more and gone carbon, but I didn't see what I'd gain) nobody has said anything to suggest that it would be better if only it was a bit lighter.

We know that regardless of frame material the SL is recognised for its acoustic bike-like riding characteristics, so personally I don't get any sense that those of us who have chosen the aluminium frame are losing out dynamically. My test ride of the Comp had me grinning like a loon, and that's the whole story as far as I'm concerned.

I'll convert to tubeless as soon as I get some more sealant (as an aside, can anyone confirm that tubeless valves are provided with SLs?) and I reckon I'll feel that more than I will a slightly lighter frame.

It's only the difference between an empty and a full water bottle in the frame cage - does anyone notice that?

Just my two penn'orth.

I guess the worry is if I do decide to do component upgrades in the future, the carbon comp is already 1-2 pounds ahead. You'd be gated by the weight of the alu frame. OTOH, with the $1000 saved, you can get some carbon wheels for just a little more, would the alu frame + carbon wheels be more enjoyable than the carbon comp stock?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles