What's the coldest that you've gone for a bike ride?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Pre Covid I used to be a mountaineer & go to the hills in the Winter. About a year ago the temp according to the car temp gauge was -12 ❄❄❄at the car park. Obviously a lot colder than that on top. Clothing wise it was a mid weight thermal, a winter soft shell & winter troos. Can't say that I was ever cold throughout the trip.

Yet today on the bike with a temp of only -3 ❄I was frozed. Feet did heat up after a few miles but the thumbs (n)(n)(n)(n)took a long while before the blood started flowing.

What's your coldest trip?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
-20c local from the door rides in snow (SE Scotland).. way before I had even thought about buying an ebike

10c here today and calm so went for an easy 30mile spin on the roadbike. No jacket required ☀

whereabouts in the UK is it -3 just now?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
an hour away. wow!

oh... hold on.... you probably don't mean at sea level, eh?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
-3c.. here this morning ( N.W.Northumberland) and had to use de-icer on the car windscreen .
Currently 9c with a clear sky .
I'm not sure what the coldest temp.Ive ridden in but it will be in the minus double teen figures most probably ..

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
an hour away. wow!

oh... hold on.... you probably don't mean at sea level, eh?
Circa 75 metres although it was probably a bit warmer at 300+ metres later in the day. Doubt if the frog spawn appreciated being frozen in!

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
-20c local from the door rides in snow (SE Scotland).. way before I had even thought about buying an ebike

10c here today and calm so went for an easy 30mile spin on the roadbike. No jacket required ☀

whereabouts in the UK is it -3 just now?

Pussy! I’ve ridden in -21c. ??

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Only in pedestrian -3 Celsius, with a wind chill factor of -6 in the SW-Eng.

Thin ‘ninja mask/cap under the helm, 4 layers on upper body, long underpant, thick socks, double gloves and GTG!
As long as we were riding it was great fun, when we stopped, not so much

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Humidity plays a big role too. I am much colder in 0 degrees in Gothenburg (near the sea) than I am in -10 in the north of Sweden where the air is dry.

I have similar experience, although in a Southern Hemisphere.
It was easier to ride in JNB at +30 Celsius in dry climate at 1500m altitude, than in DBN at +30 C in high humidity climate at sea level.

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
-1c at 1.000 m above sea level in Brazil is what I wish I could get... actually, in summer, only before 9:00 the temperature is ok, if you get inside the woods at the top of the mountains before that then its ok to ride until 11:00 and then fast downhill to a shower. Last week we were begging that the crew that removed the ship out of Suez would come to do the same to remove the sun that was stuck on the backyard.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A group of us went into the Peaks one February. I have no idea what the temperature was, but probably close to freezing. There was snow drifted up against all the walls, but none across open ground. There was a wet wind, not strong enough to be a hazard but carrying a lot of soaking mist. On the top, one of the guys had a mechanical and everyone stopped. Some sheltered against the nearest wall. There was one of those peculiar craters near me that when I was a kid I called a bomb-hole, but may be just leftover from early mining (don't really know). It was about 15' across and 3-4' deep. So I laid my bike down and laid on top of it! Relief from the cold wind seemed to give instant warmth! I remember thinking that if I had been riding on my own and had broken a leg that I would have died up there!

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
-12 on a recent commute into the office. The bike was fine, but my phone was a gibbering wreck. It was on the handlebar and I wanted to take a photo. Gave up in the end.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
Not sure of the temp but fk me it was cold never again for me thanks

6C86D98D-AB0C-445C-B15E-6A0F9B8FC8C6.jpeg

60DDE49B-53D3-4C8D-BB7A-3696F23B85E8.jpeg

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
I grew up in Ohio, cold winters, but I now live in California. I don't like to ride in temps below 45 Fahrenheit. It's one reason I stay in California even thought the taxes, cost of living is very high.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles