What Tyre Levers are you using.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
I have not tried to remove my eMTB tyres as yet, but only have my old about 4in long plastic levers that I use to use on my old 26in mountain bike tyres. Will these levers be suitable for these heavier duty tyres or do I need to buy some better ones, if so what do you recommend. I mainly want them for when out on the trial carrying a spare tube.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
I use the same 3-set of tyre levers I got with a magazine more than 20 years ago.

Try your old ones first, only invest in new ones if you can't make them work.

I just did not know if these tubeless rims and tyres were any harder to remove than the old 26in MTB tyres. As I'm still running tubes in my eMTB.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I just did not know if these tubeless rims and tyres were any harder to remove than the old 26in MTB tyres. As I'm still running tubes in my eMTB.
Just use the same techniques. The tyre bead/rim interface has no idea if there is a tube inside or not.
I would concede that the early UST tyres and rims were different. I mean the ones introduced by Mavic. I had Mavic tubeless rims with proper UST tyres and I got a blow out on a front tyre and the tyre stayed on. So that must mean that the bead/rim interface was grippier. Maybe it was, but I never had any difficulty removing a tyre.

Since then, I have used all sorts of rims and tyres to go tubeless and was only ever defeated once. I was trying to fit a super light 26" XC tyre onto a cheap wheel for my grandson. Even with sealant and an Airshot inflation device I just could not get it to stay up.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
Just use the same techniques. The tyre bead/rim interface has no idea if there is a tube inside or not.
I would concede that the early UST tyres and rims were different. I mean the ones introduced by Mavic. I had Mavic tubeless rims with proper UST tyres and I got a blow out on a front tyre and the tyre stayed on. So that must mean that the bead/rim interface was grippier. Maybe it was, but I never had any difficulty removing a tyre.

Since then, I have used all sorts of rims and tyres to go tubeless and was only ever defeated once. I was trying to fit a super light 26" XC tyre onto a cheap wheel for my grandson. Even with sealant and an Airshot inflation device I just could not get it to stay up.

Thank You for your info, sounds like my old levers should do. I will do a test at home soon just so that I know that I can do it if required on the trial.

aeskivl

Aug 6, 2020
Belgium
I have two sets, one that I leave at home:

And other that I recently bought and I carry with me (also works as chain pliers and quick link storage):

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
how hard or not it is to fit/replace a tyre varies from brand to brand of tyre but also with the structure of tyres within a brand. The heavier and stiffer casings and sidewalls of double down/downhill rated tyres can be more difficult. That said fitting and removing tyres is mostly about technique. Tubeless/tubelesseasy/tubeless ready tyres all depend on the bead of the tyre forming a good seal with the outer portion of the inner diameter of the rim and can therefore be difficult to fit over the larger diameter of the edge of the rim. That is mainly made easier by ensuring the tyre bead is pushed into the deeper central well of the rim when fitting or removing once deflated......and lubrication the rim edge with soapy water ( obs not avaialble out on the trail but even puddle water helps!)

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've had to change a number of small diameter motocross tyres in the past, and since then no bicycle tyre either intimidates or causes a challenge. They are always a piece of piss in comparison. With a moto tyre you need 3 large levers and a dollop of KY jelly!

Last edited:

H.E.

May 31, 2021
the mountains
I have the park tool plastic levers they are great, other plastic levers tend to break the park tool
dont even bend that much. Metal levers are probably the best but plastic are safer for the rim.

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
Another vote for Pedros - I’ve snapped parktool levers before. But also the ‘freebies’ that you get from time to time on a U.K. MTB mag seem to work quite well. Look very similar to the Pedros as well…

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I just use my finger nails, works fine every time

iu.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've had to change a number of small diameter motocross tyres in the past, and since then no bicycle tyre either intimidates or causes a challenge. They are always a piece of piss in comparison. With a moto tyre you need 3 large levers and a dollop of KY jelly!
If I took some KY jelly out with me, my wife would get suspicious.

• Hot
Reactions: 118

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No idea how you're using it, I got it for free in a goodie bag from Ace Bikes Monmouth last weekend so decided to give it a go and it just worked. Really well. It might be the rim too; it's the first tyre I've fitted to an EX511 but my mate had a hell of a job fitting the same tyre to a Fortus 30 rim last weekend but he didn't use his CB lever.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
Crankbrothers Speedier Tire Lever when a stubborn tubeless tyre is met and I have 2 sets of different Park tools levers for normal work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles