What shorts to carry mobile phone in pocket?

David106

Mar 31, 2021
UK
Hello. Can anyone recommend some MTB shorts that have a zipped pocket suitable for carrying a mobile phone in comfortably whilst riding? I am thinking of a pocket slightly further down the thigh to avoid the phone digging into you when you pedal. My phone is average size I think... just over 15cm tall and 7cm wide. The shorts do not need to have an "inner" layer as I already have separate inner shorts.

When out on a ride I do not need to see my phone all the time however I do like to check it from time to time and having it in a pocket seems the most accessible place to put it!

Thanks

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I wouldn't carry my phone in a pair of shorts ..way too easy to smash if you have an "off " ..better to carry it in a back back if possible most of which have a padded pocket ..

David106

Mar 31, 2021
UK
I wouldn't carry my phone in a pair of shorts ..way too easy to smash if you have an "off " ..better to carry it in a back back if possible most of which have a padded pocket ..
my phone is old and a bit battered so I don't care if it breaks in a crash. Plus I am on a mission to avoid wearing a backpack when riding and finding somewhere for my phone is the last piece of the puzzle!

David106

Mar 31, 2021
UK
.... actually just realised that a crash is precisely the time I would need a phone!!! Doh. So yeah point taken... still want to avoid a back pack however so maybe a padded pocket .. ?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I use dhb and endura shorts which both have zipped pockets big enough to fit a phone. Also worth checking out a small hip pack such as the evoc 1litre which you can hide under your tshirt etc to avoid the full backpack. (I’m the same, dont like wearing a full backpack)

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I do but the caveat to that is that im a tradesman and keep my phone in a hardcase.
these shorts are great, phone in one pocket, flapjack in the other and water bottle on the bike for long summer rides.

advblue

May 2, 2021
-
I have Endura Singletrack Lite shorts. Super easy to pedal in and they have 3 zipped pockets for phone, keys, bars and other stuff.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Small toptube/stem storage bag, so there's nothing hard/sharp such as phone, keys etc in your pockets?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
When I have to take my phone (and normally snacks too) I wear a road cycling jersey. only a bit tighter than my normal long sleeved MTB tops but they have 3 handy pockets in the small of your back
or alternatively, nukeproof used to do a padded bib short that you wear underneath that had 3 pockets on the back, but if you're tall then not an option, I tried an XL and it almost cut me in two (I'm 193cm for ref) but there may be other that sell them too

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
7iDP and IXS Flow. Also have the POC enduro pads, but they don't fit under the trousers
these?

or these

Last edited:

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I always disliked wearing back packs untill I got my latest one that is not much bigger than a bladder. It Carries water, lights, phone and tools and I hardly know I'm wearing it. Much better that a full size bag.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I always disliked wearing back packs untill I got my latest one that is not much bigger than a bladder. It Carries water, lights, phone and tools and I hardly know I'm wearing it. Much better that a full size bag.
I'm at the opposite end of the scale ..I've been carrying a full size Camelbak ( Hawg ) for as long as I've been riding mtbs ( 25yrs) ..totally "loaded for bear" ..I would feel too lightweight without it ?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
these?

or these

Yes,
7Protection for light use when the trails aren't so rough
IXS Flow w/o zipper

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
.... actually just realised that a crash is precisely the time I would need a phone!!! Doh. So yeah point taken... still want to avoid a back pack however so maybe a padded pocket .. ?
I hate using a backpack too so I got a small 5L bum bag - nothing fancy, just a street-style one. I can stuff all my essentials in there along with my phone.

If even that's too much and you literally just need your phone, you could also get a top tube bag that sits behind the stem.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The only brand I have had issue with fitting an iPhone or similar in the short/pants pockets is the TLD stuff.

Endura stuff tends to have more pockets that you will ever need, my personal favourites are Fox Flexair.

It’s the shorts/pants aimed at racers that tend to have crap pockets, most regular stuff will have you covered.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Have you thought about a bum bag? Evoc make a nice 1 litre one or 3 if you need gear/water.

Personally, my phone stays in the car. I have a smart watch with phone connectivity.

Gordon

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Definitely would not carry a phone in shorts pocket........or anything really........if you fall it either breaks or you get impaled by it!
On the bike I only want a phone for emergencies so the smartphone stays in the van and I have a Nokia permanently packed away in my CamelBak waist bag. It weights virtually nothing and is half the size of even the smallest smartphone......best of all...it only does what a phone is supposed to do....make and receive calls!! And it does not break if you drop it!! The phone cost me £20 complete with £10 on the Sim.........battery lasts about 3 months rather than 3 hours!!

ps I have a tracker on the bike and access to it is shared with a few people so finding me in the middle of a forest is not a problem if needed.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

Yep ! $210 later I can vouch for that .
Fell off with the phone I normally carry in my back pack in my pocket . Knew straight away I had fallen on it . Pulled it out of my pocket . 1st half had me optimistic . Then I saw the lower half of the screen in small pieces .

Another reason to carry a bum bag or back pack .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I use dhb and endura shorts which both have zipped pockets big enough to fit a phone. Also worth checking out a small hip pack such as the evoc 1litre which you can hide under your tshirt etc to avoid the full backpack. (I’m the same, dont like wearing a full backpack)

Endura shorts won`t protect the phone in a crash .
Real world tested here ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles