What insurance are you using?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I have been using Velosurance, but this year they want over $1500 for my two emtb, so I either need to self insure or find a cheaper place. Ideas?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Oftentimes your homeowners, renters, or condo insurance will cover your bike. What does Velosurance offer you for $1500 that you don't already have with your other insurance?

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
I have my bikes now on the house insurance. But as my wife organises the house insurance I had to divulge the real costs of my bikes........her reaction was as below

200.gif

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
House insurance covers most of the cost of the bikes if something happens at home, also added an option to my car (van) insurance to cover contents of car up to 2k in case of theft. The car one made a lot more sense when I was riding 2-3k MTBs, but increasing the cover to a 6k ebike didn't really add up.

I looked into dedicated ebike/bike insurance, the premiums made no sense unless you were actively planning on using insurance fraud as a means to replace your bike every other year :ROFLMAO:

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
In the UK Pedalcover are insanely good.

Moving back to Pedalcover more than halved our house insurance compared to NFU this year. It covers all five of my bikes, total value £20+, plus house and contents. We got burgled in 2019 by thieves specifically (and exclusively) targeting my bikes and Pedalcover were amazing, so can unhesitatingly recommend.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
House insurance covers most of the cost of the bikes if something happens at home, also added an option to my car (van) insurance to cover contents of car up to 2k in case of theft. The car one made a lot more sense when I was riding 2-3k MTBs, but increasing the cover to a 6k ebike didn't really add up.

I looked into dedicated ebike/bike insurance, the premiums made no sense unless you were actively planning on using insurance fraud as a means to replace your bike every other year :ROFLMAO:

So for the laugh I got a quote from my car insurance (one of the biggest insurers in France): €670 per year to cover a 6k ebike. Like I said above, unless you know you will break it out of warranty or your house gets robbed more often than every 10 years, it doesn't make any sense.

I have generally had pretty bad experiences with insurers, always looking for a way out of paying. My buddy got his bike stolen from his garage, his home insurance declined the payout because "the garage wasn't connected to the house" (apartment with underground closed garage). Be very careful with the terms and conditions and make sure you explain in a very detailed manner how your bike is typically stored if under home insurance, the type of door or any lock you use etc can make a difference in whether it is covered.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I am in Quebec, my room insurer covers my bikes to 3,000$ each but i pay an extra
25$/year and they double the max per bike to 6,000$ wich is fine in my case. It mainly
covers stolen bikes wich is a plague here for the last 50 years.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
In the UK Pedalcover are insanely good.

Moving back to Pedalcover more than halved our house insurance compared to NFU this year. It covers all five of my bikes, total value £20+, plus house and contents. We got burgled in 2019 by thieves specifically (and exclusively) targeting my bikes and Pedalcover were amazing, so can unhesitatingly recommend
I don't think I'd bother insuring my bikes if they were worth around £4 each... 🤣😉

Seriously though, thanks for the recommendation. I have an ebike with the Bosch GPS unit and alarm built-in, plus a steel bike shed covered by a raft of sensors and 4k cameras linked to my phone, but insurance would still make me feel better about being out with the bike, so I'll give it a look.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
I have been using Velosurance, but this year they want over $1500 for my two emtb, so I either need to self insure or find a cheaper place. Ideas?
here is Aust premiums have just doubled over the last 3-4 years. We have had floods / fires etc and the insurance companies are now seeking 'payback'. My bike is insured under the house policy, so i suggest im covered if stolen from garage, but I've never asked the question as to what happens if someone smackes into the back of the car when my $10K bike is one the back...any idea?

I suggest im not covered if some scumbag steals from the car rack either.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
here is Aust premiums have just doubled over the last 3-4 years. We have had floods / fires etc and the insurance companies are now seeking 'payback'. My bike is insured under the house policy, so i suggest im covered if stolen from garage, but I've never asked the question as to what happens if someone smackes into the back of the car when my $10K bike is one the back...any idea?

I suggest im not covered if some scumbag steals from the car rack either.
Best to talk to your insurer. Here in NZ mine is insured under the home and contents, the only way its covered is if its stolen from within my house.

Thankfully I never lock and leave it anywhere so should be fine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles