What grips and saddle do you run?

dthree

Aug 8, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
YES IT IS!

SQ LABS 60X series saddle for MTB is legit. When I let someone try my saddle they get one. Its that good. There are others out there that work for other people but since SQ Labs isn't in every bike shop and not marketed like Ergon or others its not as widely used or known. They are worth the coin and sometimes you can find them on sale or used. So far I have seen a 100% conversion rate with the SQ Labs saddle. Use their website and free goodies to help you get the correct size. Once you go SQ you don't go back!!!

As for grips with comfort/cushion OURY grips are hard to beat but there are many brands with similar versions. Ultimate cushion would be the ESI Extra Chunky but some feel they are to squishy.
I concur. Using the 611 on my emtb and the 612 on my gravel bike. Nothing else worked as well. The key is to get the Ergowave Active version.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
That's what I say about everything on my bike.

Until I find something better.

I rarely say it, because I am constantly chasing dragons. But for the first time on motorcycles and bicycles, I am no longer considering other grip options. I hope they make some for motorcycles soon.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I hate round grips so use Ergon GP 3’s. My saddle is also Ergon SMC which I can’t tell much difference comfort wise from the SM.

Topolino

Jan 27, 2019
München
Ergon front and rear 🙃 They do thick and thin grips.

Get a measurement on the rear end and start with the correct width for your sit bones. Ergon and SQ Labs have measuring stations at most good bicycle dealers

Apr 27, 2022
UK
WTB Volt is the best saddle for me. I have it on both my bikes.
Also, DMR Deathgrips on the bars, on both bikes. Really nice and tactile with or without gloves.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
SQ LABS 60X series saddle for MTB is legit. When I let someone try my saddle they get one. Its that good.
Having bent the rails on my SDG Bel Air saddle just yesterday I've been looking online for something to replace it ( although it's been my choice of perch for as long as I can remember..and I wouldn't be unhappy with another ) ..the SQ Labs caught my eye..however they seem to have a weight limit of 90kgs (14.173 stones) ..while my own weight is slightly under that my back pack would almost certainly take me over ..( not an option to remove anything or ride without it )
Are any heavier riders using these saddles without having problems ?
Also looking at the Ergon SM-EMTB saddle as another alternative ..

Last edited:

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
The Ergon Core Prime. Expensive, but worth every penny. Although they’re for ebikes, I have one on my analog mtb also.
They can be hard to find though.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Went for another SDG Bel Air (lll)saddle in the end after reading reports ( elsewhere ) that the SM core saddles developed a squeak after a while ..
The new lll offering seems to have " borrowed " a few design features from the SM ..a shorter nose and a slightly ramped rear ..well pleased with it .

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Ergon grips (life saver for my hands and ulnar nerve pain)- and a Giant in house saddle that has been the best saddle my butt has sat on since the 90's. Honestly it's awesome.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Ergon GD1 EVO Factory Grips
Ergon SM Enduro Comp Mens Saddle

I’m really happy with both, you can get a slim and standard thickness in the grips depending on your preference.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Renthal kevlar grips, and SM-E Ergon saddle, if not renthal grips I may do a set of custom ODI's once in a while too.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
ODI Elite Flow or Elite Pro grips. Elita One carbon saddle (from aliexpress), very light but still comfortable, but I'm not super picky about saddles. Chromag Overture is probably my fav saddle actually, but it just weighs so much more. Great for gripping it with your inner legs with its flat side profile.

Will be trying this saddle next, thought the side profile looked grip-able, while still being light and cheap.

Apr 14, 2023
Oregon
Recently switched to RevGrips and they're worth every dollar. No more numb or fatigued hands. They're really a game changer, highly recommended. I was literally having crashes because my hands hurt so bad (this got worse after getting Covid in early August). To be able to ride for several hours with my hands intact is almost as much a game changer as the ebike was.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
SM-E, when you can find em, and brooks for other bikes.

Renthal most days, if long days riding or on my cruiser/gravel the fattys (death grips, meat paws, or brooks/leather.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
The Ergon Core Prime. Expensive, but worth every penny. Although they’re for ebikes, I have one on my analog mtb also.
They can be hard to find though.
I have this saddle on my FS EMTB. But I have a cheap £20 Buckeroo saddle on my HT. Realistically they are both good. I think it's all down to your sit bones, seat angle, weight and posture. My HT has a more upright position and my FS is weight forward. The juries out for me, difficult to decide

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I recently picked up some fabric grips and swapped them out for the stock cube ones that come with the bike.

Went out last night but I'm finding that they feel thinner in diameter than the cube grips which I'm not so keen on.

I think I'd prefer a chunkier grip.
So what do people use and recommend?

Also the stock saddle is pretty firm. I took some Allen keys with me and messed around with it's position which has helped but a comfier saddle is next on the list.

Whats a comfortable saddle, I have 90mm apart sit bones so on the narrower side.
For me, on my weight forward FS EMTB, Ergon GP1's, they spread the weight across your palm

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
-Ergon GE1 Factory (well I snapped one in half recently on a large crash so I have a non factory on the right hand side at the moment)
-Ergon SM Pro Saddle

1064D267-607E-4174-A448-4C41683D8D36.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles