What good eBikes are available in the US?

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Hey guys,

Been doing a ton of research on eBikes and looking for opinions on what are some of the best mid range priced eMTB's that are available in the U.S. If you had 6500 Dollars to spend what would it be?

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Hey guys,

Been doing a ton of research on eBikes and looking for opinions on what are some of the best mid range priced eMTB's that are available in the U.S. If you had 6500 Dollars to spend what would it be?
Find a nearby LBS. Buy one from them. $6500 should get you an excellent eMTB. I found a shop that let me ride a Pivot. Giant, Haibike, Specialized and a few others. Went with specialized. But I’m sure I would have been happy with any of them. Having a good relationship with a LBS is the key decision factor.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Thanks guys...yeah the Turbo Levo Comp is definitely on the list. The problem is, local Bike stores have no stock let alone eMTB stock and that includes Trek or Specialized, etc. I would have to order it online and have it shipped and then patronize my LBS for support/accessories, hehe.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Thanks guys...yeah the Turbo Levo Comp is definitely on the list. The problem is, local Bike stores have no stock let alone eMTB stock and that includes Trek or Specialized, etc. I would have to order it online and have it shipped and then patronize my LBS for support/accessories, hehe.
My LBS didn’t have any to sell me. So I was on vacation and saw a specialized in stock at a bike shop. I bought it and had them immediately ship it to my hometown LBS. He’s happy to service it for me. He knew I tried to purchase through him first.

Ivabign

May 2, 2020
LA
Great advice (IMO), the current pandemic situation makes it harder, but the shops I talked to were starting to get bikes coming in. I ended up buying a Levo Comp over the Trek Rail 7, but they're both great bikes...

Find a nearby LBS. Buy one from them. $6500 should get you an excellent eMTB. I found a shop that let me ride a Pivot. Giant, Haibike, Specialized and a few others. Went with specialized. But I’m sure I would have been happy with any of them. Having a good relationship with a LBS is the key decision factor.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Thanks all....sound advice. I have a Luna X1 now and I love it but I want to add a 2nd bike sometime after the 1st of the year maybe.

Shinn

Nov 8, 2020
Decorah, IA USA
Picked up my Levo SL here in the midwest for 6K, with plans for upgrades to suite my needs. Even after many years of riding both road and MTB I am still amazed at how much we spend on our rigs. Your budget will certainly get you a great bike.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Giant Trance E+1 Pro. Hands down. You might even find a Reign, and depending on your use, may fill the bill as well.
The yamaha assist drive is the tops in the biz - bulletproof!
There are a few new X 29's coming out, and surely worth a look as well. Bigger pack too.

Airpro

Nov 18, 2018
Boise, idaho
Hey guys,

Specialized Levo Comp is the best option by far, in my opinion. We have owned over 18 Levos and the 2019 and newer models are the way to go! Natural and stable handling, outstanding Mfg warranty, and the motor performance and battery capacity is very impressive. Ridgeline Bike and Ski in Boise has several in stock and carries parts in stock for one day service. Best of luck!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The climb for emtb betterness seems to have leveled off a little. Most manufacturers are working out the bugs on the batteries and motors. I don’t know how they can get much better but they probably can. It’s getting very subjective to say which is best. Sometimes the more money you throw at your EMTB the better it gets.
I really think that your LBS is one of the most important decisions you can make when making a purchase of this size. I want them around even though I repair my own bike. I’ll support the LBS and I know they can order just about anything. A few dollars in their direction helps build that relationship that we could need some day.
Their are a few bike shops(3)within a 20 min ride from my home. My manufacture choice determined my go-to LBS but I like to spread the love too. (that sounds bad).

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Specialized Levo Comp is the best option by far, in my opinion. We have owned over 18 Levos and the 2019 and newer models are the way to go! Natural and stable handling, outstanding Mfg warranty, and the motor performance and battery capacity is very impressive. Ridgeline Bike and Ski in Boise has several in stock and carries parts in stock for one day service. Best of luck!

Yeah the Levo comp is probably going to win but I will be on my X1 until spring so hopefully some will be available unless I decide to sell something and make a move.....

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
The climb for emtb betterness seems to have leveled off a little. Most manufacturers are working out the bugs on the batteries and motors. I don’t know how they can get much better but they probably can. It’s getting very subjective to say which is best. Sometimes the more money you throw at your EMTB the better it gets.
I really think that your LBS is one of the most important decisions you can make when making a purchase of this size. I want them around even though I repair my own bike. I’ll support the LBS and I know they can order just about anything. A few dollars in their direction helps build that relationship that we could need some day.
Their are a few bike shops(3)within a 20 min ride from my home. My manufacture choice determined my go-to LBS but I like to spread the love too. (that sounds bad).

I agree in supporting my LBS and I have a Trek and specialized dealer nearby. The issue is, they never stock the high dollar eMTB's because they just don't sell around here. I will end up getting one from another dealer and hopefully getting it serviced by my local dealer....:) Although short of warranty work I do all my own service!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I agree in supporting my LBS and I have a Trek and specialized dealer nearby. The issue is, they never stock the high dollar eMTB's because they just don't sell around here. I will end up getting one from another dealer and hopefully getting it serviced by my local dealer....:) Although short of warranty work I do all my own service!
I kinda understand why they can’t stock a bike of this price which is specifically for me. I do enjoy the eye-candy littered around the LBS,(really, is that gold-fleck).
I can’t find a copy of my bike (Trek rail) on the showroom floor anymore. I did order my bike from the LBS before the mad rush and deminishing stocks of bikes. I think I seen the floor-room floor empty out several times …crazy. My Neibour’s seem to have a 2-4 month waiting period for their $10k+ bikes.
That’s a long wait but at least little Billy doesn’t get to wipe his nose on my handlebar.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Trek and most other large brands allow online purchases for high-end eMTBs which are shipped to a local dealer and assembled/tuned up there.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Trek and most other large brands allow online purchases for high-end eMTBs which are shipped to a local dealer and assembled/tuned up there.
Yep, except right now it says sold out online, may be available at a dealer on their website, haha. The Levo Comp is probably my first choice because a lot of bikes still have a 500 Wh battery which is just too small. I want at least a 625 and the levo has a 700.....

2cool2fool

Sep 6, 2020
USA - Chicago
I live in the Chicago area. The availability and knowledge of LBS in my area relative to EMTBs is pitiful. I bought my Levo Comp from a dealer 3 hours away (because nobody within 100 miles of Chicago had any inventory). A couple of months later (this was earlier this year), I had to drive 2 hours to get the firmware update. 6 Spesh dealers in the Chicag area - not one capable (or willing) to do the update. I envy people on this forum who have LBS in their area they can count on.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hey guys,

Trance e+ pro 1 is a good spec, and showing 2020 models in warehouse inventory as well as 2021. You might get a deal on the 2020's.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My local dealer in Louisville has been shipping Giants and Haibikes to my family in Michigan. No troubles yet. PM if you'd like dealer info.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I live in the Chicago area. The availability and knowledge of LBS in my area relative to EMTBs is pitiful. I bought my Levo Comp from a dealer 3 hours away (because nobody within 100 miles of Chicago had any inventory). A couple of months later (this was earlier this year), I had to drive 2 hours to get the firmware update. 6 Spesh dealers in the Chicag area - not one capable (or willing) to do the update. I envy people on this forum who have LBS in their area they can count on.
Yep I am in the Chicago area as well and I would have to agree......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles