Levo Gen 2 What Garmin works best with the Levo and the Levo SL?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I've been using my iphone on my handlebars on all my bikes, but I'm kind of over having it there.... I like the idea of a more compact device, with tracking, mapping capability and ebike connectivity.... I run Blevo but really the only thing I use it for when riding is to have a highly visible indicator of what "gear" I'm in. I would like to run a good mapping program while I'm riding AND mission control, though I'm not sure that is an option.... Oh, and I have two different ebikes (a Levo and an SL) and an acoustic bike so would ideally move it from bike to bike.... I'm anticipating your guidance with baited breath.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I went with an Apple Watch 5 with 4G because I like to keep the cockpit clean. This doesn’t seem like it is the case with you but just to explain: You can run several apps at the same time, an example is Komoot for easyily navigating after a predefined route, “Beacon” in the Strava app, music, take phone calls, etc. but I keep my phone in my backpack or pocket as long Mission Control isn’t updated to support the Watch. The Health app on the watch is excellent for tracking bike rides with HR, temp, position, etc but I need Mission Control for the cadence and power data too.

A buddy bought and sold the Garmin Edge 930 I think it was, because he thought the Levo data field would work with it but it isn’t maintained or updated for newer devices anymore.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I went with an Apple Watch 5 with 4G because I like to keep the cockpit clean. This doesn’t seem like it is the case with you but just to explain: You can run several apps at the same time, an example is Komoot for easyily navigating after a predefined route, “Beacon” in the Strava app, music, take phone calls, etc. but I keep my phone in my backpack or pocket as long Mission Control isn’t updated to support the Watch. The Health app on the watch is excellent for tracking bike rides with HR, temp, position, etc but I need Mission Control for the cadence and power data too.

A buddy bought and sold the Garmin Edge 930 I think it was, because he thought the Levo data field would work with it but it isn’t maintained or updated for newer devices anymore.

I have an apple watch 5, but I like being able to look down at my screen and quickly see which mode I'm in and when I'm somewhere new I really like the mapping on Mission Control....

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've been using my iphone on my handlebars on all my bikes, but I'm kind of over having it there.... I like the idea of a more compact device, with tracking, mapping capability and ebike connectivity.... I run Blevo but really the only thing I use it for when riding is to have a highly visible indicator of what "gear" I'm in. I would like to run a good mapping program while I'm riding AND mission control, though I'm not sure that is an option.... Oh, and I have two different ebikes (a Levo and an SL) and an acoustic bike so would ideally move it from bike to bike.... I'm anticipating your guidance with baited breath.

Im selling my virtually new Garmin Edge 830 if you're interested - drop me a PM, happy to do a deal if you're in the UK (shipping to other countries seems to be hit and miss due to CoronaVirus apparently).

I used mine with two Levos and also with BLEvo. It has gear indicators but I've not used that functionality. You're welcome to my EBike Field license as well.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Im selling my virtually new Garmin Edge 830 if you're interested - drop me a PM, happy to do a deal if you're in the UK (shipping to other countries seems to be hit and miss due to CoronaVirus apparently).

I used mine with two Levos and also with BLEvo. It has gear indicators but I've not used that functionality. You're welcome to my EBike Field license as well.
How this gear indicators work? By calculating ratio from cadence and wheel speed?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
How this gear indicators work? By calculating ratio from cadence and wheel speed?
No idea tbh never used it. I guess its either (a) taken from cadence/wheel speed/no. of gears or (b) wireless shifters such as the AXS stuff act as sensors to the Garmin unit.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I use Garmin 820. On my other ebike I was used to a display and missed not knowing battery use and support level. The e bike field app for Garmin works great. The advantages of having a dedicated GPS are much better battery life, more crashproof, and more functions, certainly better than Mission Control, which seems to crash regularly. The Garmin records all rides very accuratelyand then uploads them to Strava via Garmin connect. I find it hard to follow a route on the Garmin because the screen is small and the map not that good. This is when I do use my phone, but I’m nervous about damaging it. For any route I use a Swiss app called Swiss mobility, which is fantastic; easy to import GPX routes, or create them on proper Swiss maps, all for fr30 a year. It’s easy to follow a route as you can always see where you are. (I am a Swiss Mountain guide and I hardly use paper maps any more). I guess the same thing exists for U.K. OS maps. For anywhere else, Pocket Earth has pretty good topographical maps, and again you import GPX routes (there are various apps to plot routes) and see where you are. For all of these, you can download the maps into your phone so you are not reliant on phone signal.

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Admittedly Im a bit thick but I struggled with the Garmin 830 and 1030 the Garmin Montana, which is a bit large for cycles really suited to motorcycles, worked well and was easy to use, I also tried a Wahoo Roam which I really struggled with the best and most user friendly gps I used on a cycle has been Komoot on my I phone much as I would prefer to use a gps independent of my phone.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles