What do we think about Horst links?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
It occurred to me whilst looking at my Merdia E bike that it doesn't have a Horst link, now on a supposed £5k bike why didn't they pay the £2 charge to have one?
Has suspension moved on that far & is brake "jack" even still a thing? It would seem shortsighted to make an inferior suspension design for a paltry amount but does it still come down to a few quid saved here & there make all the difference to the manufacturers or has suspension design moved on ?
Cheers.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A horst link is still brilliant when done well. (most suspension frames are well designed nowadays)

I personally would not consider a 4 bar single pivot. But that's me and I have very specifc reasons for this.
Yes of course brake jack is still a thing but it's not necissarily down to not having a horst link

You're thinking about it all wrong though with regards to "inferior" suspension designs. There's far far more to a good suspension design than whether or not it has a horst link

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
So do all suss frames with the link on the seat stays suffer brake jack? Or to be more specific does the Merida bike design potentially suffer from it?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it's not that simple.
you are also confusing brake squat with brake jack.
I haven't never looked at the kinematics of any Merida frames.

Are you a rear brake dragger?
Do you notice the rear become harsh when descending and dragging it?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Do you notice the rear become harsh when descending and dragging it?
Nope, I'm more used to riding hardtails so I just get on with it, I was only really thinking about it as last weeks 40k ride I had the lock out turned on & I never noticed until I got home :giggle:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
There's an absolute ton of info online about suspension
if you're genuinely interested. Start by following the links I posted in the suspension "sticky" in the general emtb forum.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Thanks, but I'm not that arsed as I have a bike & will deal with what I have rather than buy another expensive bike, I just thought it an interesting question.
Cheers.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My last three bikes had a Horst link and I loved the ride. The Focus Jam2 is a 4-bar linkage controlled single pivot. Its OK and I haven't really made my mind up yet about it. It goes through its travel too fast for my taste, and I suspect that this compromises its climbing ability. But early days yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles