What derailleur for 8s ?

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
I bought an 8s cassette 40t SunRace CSM680 what derailleur and command do you suggest to buy that works with this cassette for my levo 2019

Last edited:

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
needs more info

which cassette exactly?
SunRace CSM680 , i want try it on my levo expert 2019

i need something strong , ex1 was good but too expensive , i have to change the cassette every 8 months

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If its a standard 8 speed cassette any 8 or 9 speed shimano rear mech paired with an 8 speed shifter will work.
Or
Any 8 or 9 speed sram rear mech paired with a SRAM 8 speed shifter.
But not if by 40t you mean it has a 40t largest sprocket.
If you want durability and value? Fit a full shimano 10 speed drivetrain .

Old 8speed is not a great idea on an Emtb as you'll lose the clutch or ability to use anything decent (modern)
Also Sunrace cassettes are shit.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I had the SRAM EX1 as standard on my Focus, I've just changed it to an 11 speed Shimano setup as I found the spacing of the 8 speed frustrating. What is wrong with the standard Levo setup?

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
My levo was coming with 11s , i changed to ex1 8s after one week, i really love it .
I have two ebikes both with ex1 , i can chsnge gear in any condition, and it is stroger, but i have to change it often due extreme usage conditions , and it is too expensive.
I always go in turbo mode , so i do not need 11 gear.
Anyway , what derailleur can i use with a 8s 40t ?
Or can you suggest me a good 9 or 10 speed full setup?
Can't i use the ex1 derailleur paired with a 8 , 9 or 10s speed shifter?
Ex1 is 8s but it is like a modified 10s

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Or can you suggest me a good 9 or 10 speed full setup?
About the best new (durability, function & VFM)10 speed set-up you'll find now will be something like:
SLX rear mech, Deore cassette (11-36 0r 11-42). Saint shifter (Zee or SLX if on a tight budget)
All of that is going to be cheaper than an EX1 mech alone (nevermind the astronomical cassette price)
SRAM only really offer 10 speed mtb components in budget offerings (ie. not so nice build quality/function as the above quoted Shimano).

I've no idea what mech you can use with an 8 speed 11-40 sunrace cassette. Old 8(and 9) speed mechs were never designed to shift to as big a cassette sprocket as 40t. Some may work with the B-tension screw adjusted right in some may not. It's a bodge though so none will work brilliantly IMO.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
About the best new (durability, function & VFM)10 speed set-up you'll find now will be something like:
SLX rear mech, Deore cassette (11-36 0r 11-42). Saint shifter (Zee or SLX if on a tight budget)
All of that is going to be cheaper than an EX1 mech alone (nevermind the astronomical cassette price)
SRAM only really offer 10 speed mtb components in budget offerings (ie. not so nice build quality/function as the above quoted Shimano).

I've no idea what mech you can use with an 8 speed 11-40 sunrace cassette. Old 8(and 9) speed mechs were never designed to shift to as big a cassette sprocket as 40t. Some may work with the B-tension screw adjusted right in some may not. It's a bodge though so none will work brilliantly IMO.

Does that mean I could possibly sell my EX1 setup for more than I paid for the shimano one... :unsure:;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Does that mean I could possibly sell my EX1 setup for more than I paid for the shimano one... :unsure:;)
Unused?
Undoubtedly (to a naive emtb owner)

Used?
Possibly (But only to an even more naive emtb owner)

Wide range 8x1 with Sunrace CSM680- Mtbr.com

SRAM Force 1 / CX1 Type 3 X-HORIZON EXACT-ACTUATION is not cheap , is very expensive , is it good ? I prefer sram
Eh? SRAM Force is a road groupset

Winding B-tension ALL the way in so that the mech can shift to a larger sprocket than designed to almost always means shifting performance will suffer in the smaller sprockets.

Wide range cassettes really aren't a great idea on Emtbs. There's far less chainwrap in the smaller sprockets when using a wider the range. This combined with the fact Emtbs wear out drivetrains quicker anyway just means your chain will slip in the smallest sprockets far sooner than if using a smaller range cassette. LESS gears also INCREASES wear on each cassette sprocket as you'll undoubtebly be in each of the higher gears (small sprockets) for longer.
My advice. If you can. is to fit the closest ratio lowest range cassette you can live with
If you can live with 11-36 definitely go 10 speed
if you need a larger max sprocket than 36t go 11 speed

instead of looking for a bodge to use it, just send your unused Sunrace cassette back. Trust me, they're shit.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
On ex1 you can buy the firts 3 littlest gears and renew it for cheap , but i wear a lot the fourth too.
Anyway i think the only way is to buy a new ex1 cassette.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
On ex1 you can buy the firts 3 littlest gears and renew it for cheap , but i wear a lot the fourth too.
Anyway i think the only way is to buy a new ex1 cassette.
Handy as that is you can buy an entire 10 speed Shimano cassette for less

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
Shimano cassette seem much robust compared to sram.
Do you think Shimano SLX CS-M7000 11v 11-42 + sram x1 derailleur is a good choice? Is it better a kmc or sram chain? I have both , or have i to use a shimano chain?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
with the large bold font
and complete lack of continuity
This is beginning to feel like I've stumbled upon a randon question generator.

SRAM X1 derrailleur is twice the cost of an XT 11 speed derrailleur.
whether you prefer SRAM or Shimano shifting at that level is entirely down to personal preference

Good luck with your decision whatever you choose.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Unused?
Undoubtedly (to a naive emtb owner)

Used? About 920 miles so fairly used...
Possibly (But only to an even more naive emtb owner)

Winding B-tension ALL the way in so that the mech can shift to a larger sprocket than designed to almost always means shifting performance will suffer in the smaller sprockets.

That was part of the problem with mine, sometimes not too bad and sometimes a right pain in the arse, as well as the shite spacing between the larger cogs. Should have changed it ages ago!

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
with the large bold font
and complete lack of continuity
This is beginning to feel like I've stumbled upon a randon question generator.

SRAM X1 derrailleur is twice the cost of an XT 11 speed derrailleur.
whether you prefer SRAM or Shimano shifting at that level is entirely down to personal preference

Good luck with your decision whatever you choose.
Yes but i allready have the x1 .
Ok ill give a try with the new slx cassette

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I'm currently running the zee FR derailleur, 10 sp 11-36T xt cassette, and xt 10sp shifter. The thing has been bomb proof so far.

I've also had very good luck with a 10sp 11-46t cassette, 11 speed xt derailleur (medium cage) and the xt 10sp shifter.

Both these setups are plug and play with nothing noteworthy about making them go.

There is also the m6000 to consider

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I went back and reread the original question after spouting off about 10 speeds (love 10 speeds for my riding btw).

I also bought a standard spacing 8 speed cassette-still have it, never installed- but cant find a decent shifter to drive it. All the quality 8 speed direct pull or 1:1 shifters that could be used with a modern clutched derailleur have been discontinued?.

Does anybody know the pull ratio, or actual cable pull distance of the ex1 shifter?

I preordered one of these just to try it out
Box Four 8S Wide Groupset

To be honest however, I lost some interest in 8 speeds, after deciding that my 10 speed stuff was working pretty dam good.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This is like discussing the "best" LEGO set with ADHD kids who've just eaten a box of Red smarties.​

Have a Google for 8,9,10,11 speed mtb component compatibility information/spec.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
This is like discussing the "best" LEGO set with ADHD kids who've just eaten a box of Red smarties.​

I felt like that on this Friday's "old geezer coffee run". A 75 year old retired teacher (so knows everything and has nothing to learn) has just bought a Lapierre eMTB hard tail. He fitted clips to his MTB pedals - not SPD clips, I mean the old fashioned road clips. At least he didn't have the leather straps in them. :unsure:

We all tried to explain that this was not a good idea. Okay, he'd put road pedals on his 1990's vintage MTB and they fitted okay on that, but he was going to hit the ground with these stupid things.

Eventually you just have to give up and let them kill themselves, no? A rock took out the one on the lefthand side. Digging into the sand with the righthand one gave him a rapid, unintended dismount.

Did he learn? Did he fuck! When we were putting the bikes away he wanted my opinion as to whether he should mount the clips "a bit more inboard"! :mad:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Can i fit ex1 derailleur + 10s casssette 11-42 and 11-46 ?

I'm not sure I understand the question. What shifter would you use? You can't use an 8 speed shifter on a 10 speed cassette regardless of derailleur? Well, you can do anything you like, but I dont think it would be supernice.

I've not seen the ex1 system show up in any compatibility charts yet, it's compatibility is a mystery to me.

Blebo19

Dec 1, 2019
Italy
Gx 10s shifter + ex1 derailleur.
Someone told me ex1 kit is a 10s adapted to 8s , it is 48t max , very large

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Gx 10s shifter + ex1 derailleur.
Someone told me ex1 kit is a 10s adapted to 8s , it is 48t max , very large
If this is true then yeah, the derailleur certainly has the capacity. Myself, I dont like long cage derailleurs as my trails eat them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles