what are your feelings on riding trails that are in USFS areas?

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
Unfortunately, in the US (at least in Arizona) there are plenty of haters when it comes to sharing the trail.

I rode a trail yesterday on my acoustic bike and there were signs posted from the USFS that the trail system was potentially going to be shutdown because of "excessive speed". It seems to me that the real concern is a disrespect for fellow trail users (all around with with hikers, bikers, and equestrian riders). I've had hikers refuse to let me past on the bike. I always ring my bike bell, slow down and stop, unless they let me through prior to stopping. We constantly see the trail lad-den with hazards that were placed there by man.

The US has a deep lack of understanding of the value of class 1 eBikes and how beneficial they are, especially for those of us in mountain country. I rode in Sedona last week and pretty much every trail I rode on had a "no eBike AND no Assist" sign attached to the trail marker. Heard all the arguments and none of them hold water why Class 1 should not be permitted on trails authorized for bikes. Since having Covid my oxygen levels have been low and my working heart rate has been higher than pre-Covid. Maybe I can get the doc's "prescription" for an eBike and get a pass for a few of the trails that allow as much...

If the USFS wanted to get rid of the grumbling from hikers they would threaten to take away their privileges by saying, "okay hikers get odd calendar days, and bikers get even". See how they like being refused access to tax payers land, not to mention the trail builders in my area are primarily mountain bikers. The hikers get the benefit of using "our" trails.

Let's hope that USFS listens to all the lobby groups, but most importantly takes a look at how the rest of the world is handling eBikes.

Cheers :rolleyes:
LOL, I rode my LSL in Sedona about 2 months ago...only because I snapped my seat stay on my Amish bike. I rode 22 miles and only turned it on a couple times. I had full bars at the end. I did come across one sore loser at an intersection.

He said "get out of here with your moped!" If it wasn't for the Mom and her 2 younger children standing at the same spot, I would have told him to F-OFF and to get off his bike and say it to my face! He was quick to pedal away, but I told him "I'm a local and it's currently off, but you have a nice day,OKAY!"

I live about 40 miles from Sedona, but most of the people I know that ride E-bikes just tell others to mind their own business and/or cuss at them, then the insulted party just shuts up and leaves!

I have mixed trails here, some legal and some FS. I ride where I want and If it not allowed, I turn it off...because my E-bike that's NOT turned ON identifies as a regular Amish bike.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
A calm "you should go fuck yourself" really seems to upset assholes like that, and it makes me happy. I don't have the restraint based on who is nearby.

On today's ride we passed a large amount of hikers, stopped to talk to one group. I guess I mostly see people as "we're all out enjoying nature and exercise" more than being judgmental about how.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
A calm "you should go fuck yourself" really seems to upset assholes like that, and it makes me happy. I don't have the restraint based on who is nearby.

On today's ride we passed a large amount of hikers, stopped to talk to one group. I guess I mostly see people as "we're all out enjoying nature and exercise" more than being judgmental about how.
This exactly. Most people just want to be out having fun. Once in a while you'll run into an asshole. Meh don't let them bother you. Remember you're having more fun than them and continue your ride.

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA

This is something I would want to say but don't think would overall be beneficial. All this will do is give that person a more negative opinion on emtb'ers being assholes who shouldn't be allowed on the trails. A better thing I think would be to just have said "good thing its a class one ebike and not a moped" and ride off. Of course your not going to change someone's opinion that feels the need to shout obscenities when out on the trail in of others at that time but at the very least you might confuse them with your calm reaction and get them to google and educate themselves on the ebike class system which might get them to reconsider their opinion. They are trying to get a rise out of you and get you to bow down to them in the same way a cop might say "you will do what I say" even if its not a lawful order. Just responding something casual with a smile shows that they didn't achieve anything by spouting some BS at you while you are out just trying to enjoy your ride.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I think it's the opposite. Engaging bigots of any type is rarely productive. Making it clear that they are undesirable is a win IMO. I'm also willing to entertain that I'm wrong, but it's my current view.

It should also be noted that Sedona is particularly full of really weird and totally insane people. Crystal-waving freaks who think that wifi and cell signals are programming them, and are against anything tech. There's an area there that some nuts think is a global energy vortex connected to the universe. I had a person walk up to me there, with spittle in the corners of his mouth, and ask me what cults I belonged to. Another once walked up to me--unprompted by anything--and said he'd like to thank me for being white (I'm hispanic, but light).

RoktMyDog

Feb 23, 2021
USA
I'm a respectful emtb ambassador of etiquette while riding anywhere bikes are allowed. I also have a skin and can take the occasional berating by whoever decides to be a trail cop. Which is super rare, most people seen just happy to be out.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
A friend just sent me video from his Gopro, but insisted it not be posted publicly. He said I could repeat it without names though (he's got a public-facing job and people can be such assholes online). An Amish biker came up to him on top of a big ascent. For no reason or other prompt, the rider started a conversation with a sneer and "How does it feel to ride something that makes it so easy, anyone can do it?"

My friend: Just like riding your mom then?

akhilash

Apr 7, 2023
US
It's a great way to explore nature and appreciate the beauty of the outdoors while still having fun. The scenery is often stunning, and you can come across natural wildlife that you don't typically find anywhere else.

it's a healthy way to get some exercise without dealing with too much traffic or other dangers like you would on a road.

Litehiker

Nov 23, 2022
Las Vegas, NV
Arminius,
"better food" in GERMANY - than where, Russia? the UK? Perhaps.
Oh, I missed the winking imogi, sorry.

"The French live to eat. The Russians eat to live."

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Arminius,
"better food" in GERMANY - than where, Russia? the UK? Perhaps.
Oh, I missed the winking imogi, sorry.

"The French live to eat. The Russians eat to live."
Where else can you get a Rossburger? :ROFLMAO:

German food is great, getting great German food in the US is tough these days...

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
The best way to deal with aggressive jerks giving you crap is to just smile and wave, say something nice, like have a good day. This really pisses them off and can provide an enormous amount of satisfaction. I have commuted in and out of the bay area in Cali. for 20 years and this has served me well and made the drive tolerable. Here around Nevada City Ca. i have not encountered any negativity about my pedal assist.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
A co worker was bending over backward to find an ebike legal trail near Boulder last week so we could ride together. I finally told him to get off his high horse and actually try my EXe to see what they are like. He grudgingly got on it and disappeared for a half hour. I was starting to worry. He comes back with a shit eating grin and starts crowing about how damn cool it was and how he had no idea how a pedal assist actually works. He is a very bright guy. Lots of bad feelings out there from poor branding and stubborn attitudes.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
i try to be respectful when riding with my son and his friends in their 30 nd 40s, many are KOH on a lot of the local segments. When i say respectful I mean I don't wheelie past them on the long climbs :). i am almost 70 so well past the age where i care if i can still keep up, my good buddy BOSCH helps me out.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I purchased my EXe for the sole intent of riding it wherever I want regardless of rules/laws. I will continue to do so until someone can show me how EMTB's cause any more damage than full pedal bikes. When we were kids we would session stairs and curbs on our skateboards where signs were posted "no skateboarding". Just like then, I am not going to let these signs deter me.

kauaibobby

Feb 9, 2022
Eagle, Colorado
I know you didn't specify if you rode your ebike in Sedona, but if you did you're a brave man. I try to drive up there from Tucson every couple months for riding but I wouldn't even dare bring my ebike into the town of Sedona. They absolutely despise ebikes there, talking to locals you would think they're the end of the world. Over a year ago I was riding on Templeton trail and there was a group of bicyclists stopped near the very end of the trail where it descends down into Oak Creek area and there where two older women standing next to their ebikes getting berated by a group of 6 or so college aged dudes about how they're destroying the trails. The 2 women where visibly uncomfortable and seemed scared. These guys didn't realize how threatening they where being while going off on both of them, I rolled up and did my best to defuse the situation and everyone went their separate ways. But that is just one of the several ebike related stories I have about Sedona.

I'm not saying the women where in the right but what I am trying to say is they really do not take kindly to ebikes in Sedona and Arizona as a whole unfortunately. I've only had a couple run-ins with "ebike police" here in Tucson, but they didn't have a foot to stand on since I was riding on trails where they're legal, even though I would show proof on my phone how they're legal on said trail, it really didn't seem to matter to them. It is really frustrating not being able to ride on all the same trails but there is not much we can do about it other than voice our opinion when we can. It makes thing worse when you get caught with you ebike on a trail that they're not allowed on. It is my dream someday I can take my ebike up to the top of Mt Lemmon (just leave it off) and ride all the way down and shuttle back up the main road myself at that point with the help of the ebike assistance without having to organize a shuttle with friends.
I m from Colorado. Rode my e-bike in flagstaff. No problem. Sad to hear about Sedona. I’ll ride there someday soon. I’m very respectful rider. We can all get along. Have fun. Always looking for people to ride with

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
Unfortunately, in the US (at least in Arizona) there are plenty of haters when it comes to sharing the trail.

I rode a trail yesterday on my acoustic bike and there were signs posted from the USFS that the trail system was potentially going to be shutdown because of "excessive speed". It seems to me that the real concern is a disrespect for fellow trail users (all around with with hikers, bikers, and equestrian riders). I've had hikers refuse to let me past on the bike. I always ring my bike bell, slow down and stop, unless they let me through prior to stopping. We constantly see the trail lad-den with hazards that were placed there by man.

The US has a deep lack of understanding of the value of class 1 eBikes and how beneficial they are, especially for those of us in mountain country. I rode in Sedona last week and pretty much every trail I rode on had a "no eBike AND no Assist" sign attached to the trail marker. Heard all the arguments and none of them hold water why Class 1 should not be permitted on trails authorized for bikes. Since having Covid my oxygen levels have been low and my working heart rate has been higher than pre-Covid. Maybe I can get the doc's "prescription" for an eBike and get a pass for a few of the trails that allow as much...

If the USFS wanted to get rid of the grumbling from hikers they would threaten to take away their privileges by saying, "okay hikers get odd calendar days, and bikers get even". See how they like being refused access to tax payers land, not to mention the trail builders in my area are primarily mountain bikers. The hikers get the benefit of using "our" trails.

Let's hope that USFS listens to all the lobby groups, but most importantly takes a look at how the rest of the world is handling eBikes.

Cheers :rolleyes:
to bolded, we have that here on some trails. One is weekend only odd even days. Other is everyday even or odd but that only applies to two trails, the two best descents on that mtn. It works as it keeps hikers safe but they still hike up that trail 3 different occasions had to tell hikers to get off trail on bike only days.

We now have many bike only downhill only trails with a climbing trail you can also descend which alleviates most of the interaction problems. MTBr's are the ones who are most vocal against ebikes at the local meetings as they are "motorcycles" which these people have never ridden but still take that opinion. Thankfully my county Jeffco allows emtb on all trails and state parks do as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles