• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

What are these?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I found these on my lawn. They were where I normally wash my bike, so I'm assuming that the spores may have been washed off and into the grass. They are quite small mushrooms; the picture is 4" square (100mm x 100mm). Anyone know what sort they are? And of course, are they edible?

mushrooms.jpg

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I found these on my lawn. They were where I normally wash my bike, so I'm assuming that the spores may have been washed off and into the grass. They are quite small mushrooms; the picture is 4" square (100mm x 100mm). Anyone know what sort they are? And of course, are they edible?

View attachment 126410
All mushrooms are edible .................................although some you can only eat once!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

View attachment 126410

They look like Poplar Fieldcap mushrooms.. They start off round and bulbous but become flat and wrinkled as they expand. Edible, strong nutty flavour

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They look like Poplar Fieldcap mushrooms.. They start off round and bulbous but become flat and wrinkled as they expand. Edible, strong nutty flavour
"Look like" Yep, that's the problem, the other 50-60 species "looked like". I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was an identical one called "Deadly Poplar Fieldcap" :ROFLMAO:

Should they be cooked or does that turn them into the deadly version?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it sure beats the post by @Nicho :ROFLMAO:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
"Look like" Yep, that's the problem, the other 50-60 species "looked like". I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was an identical one called "Deadly Poplar Fieldcap" :ROFLMAO:

Should they be cooked or does that turn them into the deadly version?

Thanks for the vote of confidence, it sure beats the post by @Nicho :ROFLMAO:

Where’s your sense of adventure?

Just get them down your neck 😀

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I found these in the garden - apparently they were used by the traditional inhabitants of this region as an aphrodisiac. I can't imagine how that could be successful , because they smell like rotting flesh - the halitosis would be unbearable!

IMG_4868.png

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
They look like oyster mushrooms. That are edible.
But I am no expert and am not 100% sure. Look around and you will find a Facebook group for local mushroom identification.

But an easy rule if thumb. If it has white gills and you are not 100% sure what it is then don't eat it.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
DON’t eat them. In France the pharmacy will test them for you and even ”experts” use this service.
Google…. annual deaths…. from eating wild mushrooms.
Those Boletes look just fine to me! I'd chance them for sure. Saw some folks on the trail today with a sackfull and they didn't look that good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles