What are the must haves on a new rail *before* you ride it

Wilm

Apr 22, 2022
NZ
Pulled the pin on a 9.8XT - due in July. I've got a while for any must haves before I ride it.

At this stage my only plan is a full ride-wrap kit. I've a set of Magura MT5's sitting around but suspect I won't need those.

Suggestions welcomed.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I wish I had put on ride wrap on when she was new…but that boat has sailed. You’ve got a great bike there and it could be a while before components or the consumables start wearing out.
I got myself something nice for my first ride…
3BFC4FE7-40B6-41A3-9F54-68471000FB57.jpeg

Cool eh?

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Pulled the pin on a 9.8XT - due in July. I've got a while for any must haves before I ride it.

At this stage my only plan is a full ride-wrap kit. I've a set of Magura MT5's sitting around but suspect I won't need those.

Suggestions welcomed.
Do a full PDI. Check every bolt, especially everything in the cockpit. The chainring is prone to being loose on delivery, it needs a tool similar to an old bottom bracket tool to tighten it. There's threads on here detailing how.

Personally I would change the tyres to something more suited to the bike and set them up tubeless.

Lots of people suggest the Zeb suits lower pressure with an extra token but that's personal preference. I have found that brand new suspension works better if serviced immediately. Often terribly badly set up from factory.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It probably wouldn’t hurt to check the torque on all fasteners. A loose bolt/screw could be a timely or costly incident. The bracket screws for the motor casing might be difficult to reach, but if one of those is loose, and the screw shears off, it could be an uphill battle to convince the manufacturer that it wasn’t operator abuse. A new motor is $1k+ over here.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Ditch the stock resin pads for sintered, replace the brake fluid with GPR6. Make a small mudflap out of an old inner tube to protect the main pivot, use superglue to stick it the the helicopter tape you've just applied 😁

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…use superglue to stick it the the helicopter tape you've just applied 😁
On a side note; I laugh every time I see your handle, @Slapbassmunky, along with “iforgotmypsssword”. If I drop a medical name on the interweb I use Dr. Slap**smunkky as a reference. 👍🏻.
🤔 maybe you are a doctor? Anyways, my handle was a rushed and lame attempt, 20+years ago, and I’ve dragged this name with me every since.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
On a side note; I laugh every time I see your handle, @Slapbassmunky, along with “iforgotmypsssword”. If I drop a medical name on the interweb I use Dr. Slap**smunkky as a reference. 👍🏻.
🤔 maybe you are a doctor? Anyways, my handle was a rushed and lame attempt, 20+years ago, and I’ve dragged this name with me every since.
25 years ago I played bass guitar, and I was a typical KoRn/ nu metal fanboy. The username has stuck with me ever since (shudder). Apologies if this has taken the mystery out of it and informed you of the sad lonely individual I am now 🤣🤣🤪

Jhagst

Dec 31, 2021
California Bay Area
Frame protection for sure, the paint is made of the same stuff they coat m&m’s with, it chips if you look at it sternly.
Stock tires are only good for a bike path. Re-torque everything. Fit the bike to you…seat, bars, stem, grips..etc.
Ohlins rear shock makes a pretty substantial improvement. Ride it like ya stole it!! Then re-torque everything again and again and again.

Wilm

Apr 22, 2022
NZ
Cool, great bunch of suggestions, my plan after it gets wrapped is to swap the tyres for some Maxxis ones I have here, install the Tannus inserts I've got, add some stans, charge the battery, check all the torques and then thrash it.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand

have heard from Evo the NZ shipment of 9.8s is pushed back to end of July now 24th onwards. I’m doing pretty much the same as you too. Ridewrap from new and looking at the sicomtb rear mudguard to cover the linkage.

ddbros

Aug 8, 2020
Minnesota USA
Main pivot protector to keep the rocks out. They make big chips in the carbon. Frame protector for sure. I make my own with 3M clear bra tape. I also added a set screw into the front chainring to prevent the chainring nut from backing out. Check motor mount bolts. I lost one after 500 miles. Grease the headset. I changed tires after a time, but you can decide. ESI grips, person choice for me. Make sure your rear drive side pivot is secure so the derailleur can't swing up. If it does, bad things happen.

After 2500 miles the derailleur cable became very sticky and wouldn't shift off the big ring. There's a lot of angles in the cable routing. I decided to ditch it and go with a AXS GX wireless shifter. Spendy, but worth it.

Other than that, ride the hell out it. It's an amazing machine.

Jaybee59

Subscriber
Jul 1, 2021
Reno
A new Orbea Wild-FS WILD FS M-LTD 20mph or... Add a set of Fox Factory 38's, an AXS wireless 170mm dropper, an AXS wireless mech, a
Fizik Terra Aidon X3 160mm saddle, Maxxis tires, a set of One Up bars and Revolution Suspension 34mm grips to start (you can always skip a mortgage payment!)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles