What are manufacturers doing to support EMTB? (USA)

MrSocksMTB

Oct 5, 2021
Southern California
So the word on the trail around my parts is that rangers are cracking down on emtb. Several people have reported warnings and tickets they have received and others they know. It seems like the last 3 months something changed.

What I want to know is when are the bike manufacturers going to actually take a stance and stop catering to their acoustic fan base?

If bike manufacturers want to profit off of ebikes then they need to support ebikes publicly and use their forum as a place to change legislation. It really seems like e-bike makers are trying to play both sides.

What have you seen lately to show that ebike manufacturers are supporting emtb and helping to open new trails?

Very frustrating.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Directly? Nothing. There have been ebike specific demos taking place here and there around the country in the past and I know they try to get land managers on them occasionally. They all are paying members of the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association who funds People for Bikes who pushes for ebike access, so there's that. I've always been frustrated they don't really do anything on a more local level, donate money, work with the haters, try to keep the emotos out, whatever.

luna87824

E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
So the word on the trail around my parts is that rangers are cracking down on emtb. Several people have reported warnings and tickets they have received and others they know. It seems like the last 3 months something changed.

What I want to know is when are the bike manufacturers going to actually take a stance and stop catering to their acoustic fan base?

If bike manufacturers want to profit off of ebikes then they need to support ebikes publicly and use their forum as a place to change legislation. It really seems like e-bike makers are trying to play both sides.

What have you seen lately to show that ebike manufacturers are supporting emtb and helping to open new trails?

Very frustrating.
Where is, on the trail around my parts? Because the rangers are not cracking down on emtb's around here....

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Seeing that you live in SoCal it doesn't surprise me as there is lots of competition for trail access down there. The whole Class law thing that the BPSA/PFB is in full on lobby mode around the US originated in CA. so at some point it will straighten out in eBikes favor perhaps but getting the pedal bikers, hikers and equestrians on board will take some time.

No problems here in the OR other than Cali folks moving in and raising home prices through the roof......

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
So the word on the trail around my parts is that rangers are cracking down on emtb.

Yeah... no. I'm from North Orange County and ride all over Socal. "Word on the trail" is worth about as much as those furry little coyote nuggets that are so common on the trails. I don't personally know a single person who has been cited for riding an eMTB on trails where they are not permitted. Despite signs warning against it, I see plenty of folks riding eMTBs on the trails.

In the past month or two, I can recall two specific incidents where I was in close proximity to a ranger. One was on an uphill fireroad where I had to ride about two feet from the ranger truck. I smiled, waved, said hi, and kept riding. The other time my homies and I were kickin' it atop a ridge, right where everybody congregates before dropping into the downhill run. The ranger cruised by in a side-by-side, we waved, said hi, and she continued on her way. The fact is, the rangers are not out to hassle you.

You implied that the "manufacturers" are under some kind of obligation to lobby on your behalf. It is YOU who was born in a glorious land with ample opportunities for all citizens. If YOU think that your representatives are not working in the best interest of citizens, it's YOUR obligation to promote change. Foremost, VOTE for candidates who will work to preserve all your freedoms. Secondly, if a rule is unjust, do not obey it. Lastly, support organizations that lobby on your behalf with your time and contributions.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The bike manufacturers rarely put much effort into anything like that.
Have watched IMBA struggle year after year with little support. I applaud Trek & Yeti for their support as well as Shimano, Sram, Jenson USA and others that chip in.

Far too often at various meetings I have observed lots of yelling, name calling and insults that are very counter-productive. The most important thing one can do is make certain your local representatives are well aware of your concerns, share trail information with others and when you know an ebike is not allowed on a certain trail - stay off it.

MrSocksMTB

Oct 5, 2021
Southern California
Not everyone riding an EMTB is capable of riding an acoustic. The importance of access needs to be addressed. I for one think a class 1 ebike should be allowed on the same trails as acoustic bikes. Specifically only class 1.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Not everyone riding an EMTB is capable of riding an acoustic.

Hey, Socks. I was intrigued by your avatar, so I googled on you. You're right next door. I used to ride your hills a lot, but quit going there once parking became a problem. Last week I went out there for the first time in about five years. I had a lot of fun, especially on the eMTB, where I could get all the trails I wanted. It's changed though, I found a couple new good sections, and some areas are no longer accessible. It was a lot of fun.

MrSocksMTB

Oct 5, 2021
Southern California
Hey, Socks. I was intrigued by your avatar, so I googled on you. You're right next door. I used to ride your hills a lot, but quit going there once parking became a problem. Last week I went out there for the first time in about five years. I had a lot of fun, especially on the eMTB, where I could get all the trails I wanted. It's changed though, I found a couple new good sections, and some areas are no longer accessible. It was a lot of fun.
Yeah I ride Turnbull Canyon often since it's in my backyard. There's a fun hidden-ish trail just as you come down from the water tower. Super fun. It's located between Rattlesnake trail and the water tower. I'll session that trail then hit a few of the others. I ride Laguna and Aliso Woods alot and get hate every single time I ride there. Technically no ebikes allowed in OC parks but. The areas I've have first hand knowledge of people I know getting warnings and tickets are Aliso Woods, Laguna wilderness park, Chino Hills State park, Marshall Canyon (USFS) and Santiago Oaks. I like riding the Dog Park in San Clemente and Greer Ranch in Murrieta bc nobody cares what you're riding. I personally think it's hilarious how pissed some people get by the site of me riding an emtb. I understand this post is definitely location based and doesn't apply to most riders but it matters to me and I'm sure many others in SoCal. It's probably just a $300 ticket but it's more principal. I just want to ride legal with positive vibes

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
There's a fun hidden-ish trail just as you come down from the water tower. Super fun.

I spotted the new trail from the bottom and thought, "Nah, that's hikers; no sense in riding that." But from the top side, the new trail caught my attention. It was fun. By the time I got to the drop, it was pointless to do anything other than ride it. Besides, on an eMTB, I could climb back up and finish my intended route.

Chino and Marshall aren't high on my list of destinations. But Aliso, Elmo, Laguna, and Santiago are some of my go-to spots. The evil overlords can put up all the signs they want, but the rangers and riders alike just want everyone to have a good time.

We ought to ride Turnbull midweek sometime. I like 7th Street Loop, College Trail, Rattlesnake, and A-Line... oh, and that new one.

Last edited:

MrSocksMTB

Oct 5, 2021
Southern California
I spotted the new trail from the bottom and thought, "Nah, that's hikers; no sense in riding that." But from the top side, the new trail caught my attention. It was fun. By the time I got to the drop, it was pointless to do anything other than ride it. Besides, on an eMTB, I could climb back up and finish my intended route.

Chino and Marshall aren't high on my list of destinations. But Aliso, Elmo, Laguna, and Santiago are some of my go-to spots. The evil overlords can put up all the signs they want, but the rangers and riders alike just want everyone to have a good time.

We ought to ride Turnbull midweek sometime. I like 7th Street Loop, College Trail, Rattlesnake, and A-Line... oh, and that new one.

Turnbull mid week sounds good. I'll send you a pm

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
Yeah I ride Turnbull Canyon often since it's in my backyard. There's a fun hidden-ish trail just as you come down from the water tower. Super fun. It's located between Rattlesnake trail and the water tower. I'll session that trail then hit a few of the others. I ride Laguna and Aliso Woods alot and get hate every single time I ride there. Technically no ebikes allowed in OC parks but. The areas I've have first hand knowledge of people I know getting warnings and tickets are Aliso Woods, Laguna wilderness park, Chino Hills State park, Marshall Canyon (USFS) and Santiago Oaks. I like riding the Dog Park in San Clemente and Greer Ranch in Murrieta bc nobody cares what you're riding. I personally think it's hilarious how pissed some people get by the site of me riding an emtb. I understand this post is definitely location based and doesn't apply to most riders but it matters to me and I'm sure many others in SoCal. It's probably just a $300 ticket but it's more principal. I just want to ride legal with positive vibes
If you want to ride the OC parks and not get a ticket, I recommend that you ride early as possible or later in the day. Also you may want to join the e-MTB OC Asso Log in to Facebook they have been working on getting the OC parks to change their policy and allow class-1 eMTB.

BadPiggy

Oct 18, 2020

Very frustrating.
I'm in Northwest Arkansas, and by state law, ebikes are legal anywhere it's legal to ride a bike. Law was pushed through the state government by the benefactor of so many of our numerous trails, before there could be significant opposition. I have had a couple comments from other riders (which I really don't give a ^%*& about), but no issues otherwise. Some people claim that ebikes do more damage, but there is no evidence of that here. Much more damage happens from riders/hikers/and equestrian in some places taking shortcuts etc and not respecting the trails. In Bentonville, a significant portion of rental mountain bikes are ebikes. A couple of rental companies are ebike only.

For those not in the U.S. the company Wal Mart (among other large companies) was founded here, and a couple of the founders grandkids are avid bike people, and have done a great deal with the local municipalities to get hundreds of miles of single track built, along with probable about 150 miles of paved/concrete multi-use paths.

Oct 24, 2020
United States
I think you’re off-base on eMTB manufacturers. in fact, their official organ, People For Bikes, is the strongest lobby for eMTB access. And I have no affiliation with PFB or any manufacturer, although I rely all the time on the PFB website; it’s the best resource there is on eMTB access and research.

Check out PFB's comments on the proposals in 2020 by the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, and National Forest Service. In each, PFB strongly back eMTB access.

Then, compare PFB’s positions of those mountain bike riders’ organizations and their national organization. In general, very strongly opposed to sharing access with eMTB riders.

I think our focus and advocacy must begin within our own mountain bike community. They are our staunchest and most vocal opposition and haters.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I think you’re off-base on eMTB manufacturers. in fact, their official organ, People For Bikes, is the strongest lobby for eMTB access. And I have no affiliation with PFB or any manufacturer, although I rely all the time on the PFB website; it’s the best resource there is on eMTB access and research.

Check out PFB's comments on the proposals in 2020 by the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, and National Forest Service. In each, PFB strongly back eMTB access.

Then, compare PFB’s positions of those mountain bike riders’ organizations and their national organization. In general, very strongly opposed to sharing access with eMTB riders.

I think our focus and advocacy must begin within our own mountain bike community. They are our staunchest and most vocal opposition and haters.
Yep I agree, most vocal opposition is the MTBer. I my area it seems that most of MTBer are roadies also and just feel a eMTB is a MotoX bike. I have tried to explain to a few of my old MTBer buddies that a MTB, eMTB and MotoX bike are all different forms of riding and it's hard to compared them. Us eMTBer have to get the MTBer to understand that it's a different form of riding and we just want to share the trails with them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles