What 27.5+ mud/ slop tyre

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Any suggestions? I'm thinking I could do with a narrower tyre with massive spikes.
My local loop is very wet and I'm struggling for grip in several places with the 3.0 Nobby nick. I had a minion but I would like something with more spikes because it's spinning up a lot.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Specialized Hillybilly 2.6. Been running them this winter and been genuinely blown away by how good they are in the serious mud, but also when out of the mud

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Massive spikes?
Maxxis Wet Scream
Don't expect it to be so good in mixed conditions though

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i like my hillbilly 2.6 front a lot.
the 2.8 butcher on the rear is disappointing however. i would not recommend it in the wet. for being a very open design, with not very tall knobs, it seems to hold a lot of mud too. i do like the way the bike is rolling over onto its edge into corners and the cornering grip in firm conditions though. i think the full, round profile in back and narrower, grippier front makes for confidence inspiring tip-in.
i’m curious to hear about some better mudders...

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Michelin wild mud was getting good feedback at the last muddy event I was at , I agree don’t rate the butcher too highly , especially on the front , ok on the rear , but not in mud

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I can't seam to find any of them I plus size. I'm reluctant to get non plus tyres because my bottom bracket is too low as it is.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
It's a KTM macina kapoho. I would like something narrower than 2.8. The first tyres were 3.0 nobbie nick and they suck, totally unpredictable and hopeless in the mud. Second tyres are 2.8 minions and they are much better but the rear blew up before it got really wet so I don't know what there like in super slop. Back to nobbie nick rear now and I can't pedal through the wettest part of my local loop..

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I can't seam to find any of them I plus size. I'm reluctant to get non plus tyres because my bottom bracket is too low as it is.
yes! i can tell i’m lower than with the 3’ purgatory’s

who’s got a plus sized carcass with real knobbies?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Could it be a possibility to mount a 29” wheel at the front so you could run a better suited mud tire(narrower). I know it will throw your geo off a bit but a cheaper front wheel to have in case the conditions are hilarious could be a good fall back option.

Karsten

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Russell I don't know how accurate the geometry chart measurements for your bike are but BB drop is listred as 7mm. That's really not a low BB for a 160mm FS. Personally I'd be fitting a 2.3/2.35 rear tyre to lower it and slacken the angles. (adding stability and to improve cornering)

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
This bike is chronic for pedal strikes even with 160 cranks. It's better now with the ohlins but I don't want to go backwards with that. I'm happy with the 2.8 front but I need more pedaling grip.
Really a set of 29ers would fix it and make the front roll better but that's to spendy for now.

Last edited:

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
I went for a 2.5 maxxis wet scream in the end. It does grip a lot better in the mud and climb's out or ruts better but doesn't work miracles in the bog. The size difference is not to bad either, radius is 7mm less than the minion plus tyre but I'm running it at 30psi so it probably works out similar. I think it also rolls better but is less comfortable as you would imagine. Where my bike has wide rims it has come out very square in profile, I don't know what problems this could cause but I guess I will find out. Certainly one benefit is that it cost £35 which is not bad compared to the £60 minions.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Went out again and I'm really liking the wet scream, it grips like crazy and there is no wheel spin ever, even riding in turbo through mud/ clay totally drenched and mushed up by horses.
Is there anything with similar long spikes but a bit wider? The 2.5 wet scream is too square with my rims for a front I would have thought. Are the spikes on a magic Mary much longer than a dhf?

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
The wet scream tread comes out at 1.9inch and the side wall goes out to 2.3 on my plus rims.

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
I either run a 2.6magic mary DH (all year round) or a 2.3 dirty dan spike for when shi* gets real! my type of riding is mainly offpiste. my recent video shows the limit of the Magic Mary in difficult conditions, prob would of benefited of having my spike tyre on.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Get a set of 29" wheels and run 2.3 spikes on them for mud use. If you bike fits 650b 3.0 then more than likely they will work. Won't effect your bb height and narrower tires do do better in the mud.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles